Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: acura mcx
if ordered X5d today when does it actually go into production?

I signed all the paperwork and put down a deposit over the weekend. The dealer told me most likely car would be on dealers lot 3-4 weeks. Is this possible? I don't have any numbers or way of looking it up.
Ads by Google
Old 10-24-2011, 06:17 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: F01 Active Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcspring View Post
I signed all the paperwork and put down a deposit over the weekend. The dealer told me most likely car would be on dealers lot 3-4 weeks. Is this possible? I don't have any numbers or way of looking it up.
Whenever ai place an order - there is a production number that the system holds for that order - I then provide the production number to my customers. You should ask your CA (Client Advisor) for a production number.

You will then be able to track your order via the BMWUSA website or the 800 number which is more accurate/real time. Your CA should olso be able to tell you the week when your SAV is scheduled to be built.

Good Luck!

On Order: 15 M3 and 15 Ferrari Cali T
Current:15 M4,14 Quotroporte V8tt
Previous:'14 F33 EB2,14 Ferrari Cali,14 F15 N63tu,13 991 C4S Cab,14 F15 N63tu,11 W212W4d,13 Chrysler T&C,13 E92 M3 Lime Rock Park,13 F12,13 W212W4,12 E70d,12 F01 hybrid,12 MDX, '11 LS3 Camaro Cab,12 E70d,11 E89,11 GLK350,11 E70,11 C300,10 MDX,09 E93, 09 Civic,07 E70,06 E90,05CR-V SE,04Accord EXLV6, 01Accord EXLV6,00 Maxima,93 E190,91Accord,88Accord,86Accord
Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
11 days and counting...still not in production. Three dealers told me it takes 4 to 6 weeks.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
You need have your dealer give you your production slot date. I ordered my X5 in April but my dealer's earliest production slot was in May (I asked before placing my order). Have your CA provide you with your production number and date. It's the only way to really track it on your own. You can track it via http://www.bmwusa.com. Under "My BMW" click 'sign up' and set up an account. You can "add vehicles" and enter your production number. You can also track via phone by calling 1-800-831-1117. It is a bit more up to date than the website. Listen to the prompts on what to do. Again, you will need a production number or a VIN. Once the vehicle is manufactured, total delivery time varies by delivery location (3 - 4 weeks total from start of manufacture to dealer delivery to the west coast). I waited about 5 weeks for my production slot to come up but only it took only 3 weeks to build and deliver my X5. That is why the production slot date is important.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
The truth is this:

THERE IS NO CORRELATION WITH ORDER PLACEMENT AND BUILD.

Dencoop is correct, you can get a "production number' but leaves out this FACT:

The dealer can only sell as many X5s in a given month as they have allocated from BMWNA...this means that one dealer could take your order today and they build in next week becuase that dealer had an 'open slot'... whereas another dealer could take your order and not fill it for 3 months since they have already sold all the slots they have allocated.

You can search on this, but you MUST get your dealer to answer this question: "From your current allocation of X5 diesels, what week allocation are you giving me".

The answer MUST be a week number...any other answer (ie 'we are waiting for bmw, etc') means they are lying. Search here, or xoutpost, you will find this is true

A
Old 10-25-2011, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto: X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
The truth is this:

THERE IS NO CORRELATION WITH ORDER PLACEMENT AND BUILD.

Dencoop is correct, you can get a "production number' but leaves out this FACT:

The dealer can only sell as many X5s in a given month as they have allocated from BMWNA...this means that one dealer could take your order today and they build in next week becuase that dealer had an 'open slot'... whereas another dealer could take your order and not fill it for 3 months since they have already sold all the slots they have allocated.

You can search on this, but you MUST get your dealer to answer this question: "From your current allocation of X5 diesels, what week allocation are you giving me".

The answer MUST be a week number...any other answer (ie 'we are waiting for bmw, etc') means they are lying. Search here, or xoutpost, you will find this is true

A
My dealer told me something to that effect when I ordered the X5M...dint think much of it then. Once I decided on the car he searched around and found an X5M in "status 5"? Then we customized it to my needs and it went into production 3 weeks ago(Its done production: still sitting at distribution for past 10dys )...anyways when we ordered it he said something to the effect that "if we had not found that car, it probably would have taken months to get it after the order was placed". Dint make sense to me then,..now it does...
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM

you are all scaring me.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
you are all scaring me.
Easy way to lay the uncertainity to rest is to do what the others on this thread suggested: get the production number and week of production from the dealer. It will give u a fairly good idea as to when the car might be on the driveway..
Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 AM

i was told third week of november but haven't seen production number. have emailed SA but he hasn't responded. i am trading in my mdx and i am driving it until the new car comes in...just a bit worried that they might re-evaluate price of my trade in if this takes more time.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
i was told third week of november but haven't seen production number. have emailed SA but he hasn't responded. i am trading in my mdx and i am driving it until the new car comes in...just a bit worried that they might re-evaluate price of my trade in if this takes more time.
You need to get all these kinds of details locked in (in writing - e-mail is fine) before you agree to anything.

CALL your SA and ask them for two things:
1) Your production number
2) The build week of that production number.

This week is week 43. So say your allocation is week 45, it means you car will start to be built in 2 weeks.

Assuming you're fine with what you find out, next send an e-mail to your SA documenting all the terms of the deal:
  • Car Specs - Color, Interior, Trim, Options, etc.
  • MSRP
  • Rebates & Discounts
  • Sales Price
  • Tax, Title and License
  • Interest Rate (or MF and RV if leasing)
  • Downpayment
  • Trade-in Value
  • Monthly Payment
  • Notes - Any free items such as tint, floor mats, etc.

Tell the SA that he has 24 hours to respond, or you will take his non-response as confirmation that everything documented in the e-mail is 100% accurate. You then take this e-mail with you when you go to sign/prickup your car.

Done deal....

I've bought four cars this way and never had an issue. Remember, the people that get screwed are the ones that are not prepared.

Last edited by Matt_UKTX; 10-25-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:59 AM

everything documented and trade in value part of package. so i guess it is what it is.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: jetta tdi
order info

I had a very bad buying experience when I ordered my 2011..I was not experienced with production slots and production numbers + build weeks.. The dealer took my deposit ,did a build sheet and TOOK ME OFF THE MARKET.. 8 weeks passed ,still no production number... I called many times and was lied to many times.. Even if they get an allocation and can make more profit off someone else ,guess who will get the production slot?... Be very sure when you place an order, that your name is on the Vehicle Inquiry Report. Until you see the order document with your name and Production number on it, you have nothing but a lot of words and lies just to keep you on the Hook....I will not do business with a dealer that can't give me a production number and a build week in 7 days of placing the order.. Remember, there are good dealers and there are bad dealers...Thanks to this Forum I woke up started calling other dealers I made a deal on my 2011 and had it in three weeks.. Ordered my 2012 from same dealer, got production number and week 40 build date in 48 hours....
Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM

SA not in office today but I was told i have production number but didn't know build week would tell me tomorrow.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
everything documented and trade in value part of package. so i guess it is what it is.
OK, then it's a done deal... No worries. Make sure you take that documentation with you when you sign and go through every item line by line.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Production date 11-10-11 but SA said I will have car by third week in November?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Sounds right. Nov 10 start, Nov 15-16 finish, 1-2 days to get to the VPC in spartanburg, 1 days to get on a truck to Florida...3-4 days to drive, one day to prep.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Speaking from personal experience once the car goes into production it takes 7-10 days to finish. It is then sent to the distribution center where it stays until it gets shipped to the dealer. Shipping is determined by when the next truck is scheduled to leave for the dealership and if there is space on it..My CA told me that most busy dealerships have trucks leaving every week.

Mine was done production around the 15th. Sat in distribution until yesterday when it was apparently loaded on the truck. Supposed to get to the dealership either today or tommorow. . When tracking it on the BMW USA website, it stays in the "finishing touches" stage once production is done, until it gets to the dealer. At that point calling the 1-800 number or your CA would be able to give you an idea as to when it will get on the truck.

Congrats on the purchase. Now the wait begins..
Old 10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^One added wrinkle- BMW has two distribution centers, one in Spartanburg and one in Oxnard,CA. Depending on where you are, the car may take a train ride to Oxnard. Since OP is in FLA, the car will be trucked from Spartanburg VPC to the dealer.

If the car has to transfer via train, that adds 8-12 days.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Hey guys, I have a follow up question to a similar situation. Basically, a dealer and I agreed on a price and car and I gave the dealer a 1000 deposit. This will be my third BMW and the last two times, I got a vehicle production # when I placed the deposit.

However, this time around, the dealer will not give me a production number or slotted week of production. Could someone tell me what is going on here or how this process works? The dealer keeps saying they don't have a number to give me because their production for this particular car is lower than previous years. They said as soon as they have a production slot open they will give me the number.

Shouldn't they just be able to pick the next production slot on their sheet and enter my order? What could possibly be going on here? Could they have all of their production slots sold? If so, how far out would that be?

I don't to be waiting forever for this car, should I cancel my deposit and go elsewhere?

I guess my bottom line question is, the moment I place a deposit, should I be able to get a vehicle production number and production week?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acf135 View Post
Hey guys, I have a follow up question to a similar situation. Basically, a dealer and I agreed on a price and car and I gave the dealer a 1000 deposit. This will be my third BMW and the last two times, I got a vehicle production # when I placed the deposit.

However, this time around, the dealer will not give me a production number or slotted week of production. Could someone tell me what is going on here or how this process works? The dealer keeps saying they don't have a number to give me because their production for this particular car is lower than previous years. They said as soon as they have a production slot open they will give me the number.

Shouldn't they just be able to pick the next production slot on their sheet and enter my order? What could possibly be going on here? Could they have all of their production slots sold? If so, how far out would that be?

I don't to be waiting forever for this car, should I cancel my deposit and go elsewhere?

I guess my bottom line question is, the moment I place a deposit, should I be able to get a vehicle production number and production week?

Thanks in advance
Basically, your dealer is out of allocations and can't give you a production number until they get an allocation from BMW. That could take a day or six months. There is no way of knowing, but most of the time this is bad rather than good. If you can't wait, see if another dealer (with an allocation available) will give you the same deal, then go back to your original dealer and tell them that you will go somewhere else if he cannot get this worked out.

Gone but not forgotten:
2008 E60 535i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
2006 E90 330i (Jet Black / Sand Beige)
2003 E46 325i (Black Sapphire / Natural Brown)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Matt is spot on.

There can be a lot going on that influence a dealer's decision on slots... Sales works to manage profit, and they may be allocating slots based on how much profit it generates... if the sales manager has a $10,000 personal bonus based on how much profit he generates at the dealership, he is going to be ordering 'lot' cars for walk in buyer who they can slam into a fat lease. He could give you a mid December slot, trying to maximize all inbound cars that can be sold prior to year end... There are many scenarios...but at the end of the day, they are jerking you around.

So, find a new dealer...see what they will do. Might I recommend a Board Sponsor? They seem to be very no-nonsense. One you have a deal in hand, cancel the other deal. I do not like using one against the other- so once you commit with the second dealer you are committed. However, you should tell dealer one, "I need a written confirmation of a production WEEK by close of business TODAY. If I do not get this, for whatever reason, I may need to rethink our business relationship."

(Not saying cancel, not saying "i am going elsewhere"....)

My 2 cents
Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Matt is spot on.

There can be a lot going on that influence a dealer's decision on slots... Sales works to manage profit, and they may be allocating slots based on how much profit it generates... if the sales manager has a $10,000 personal bonus based on how much profit he generates at the dealership, he is going to be ordering 'lot' cars for walk in buyer who they can slam into a fat lease. He could give you a mid December slot, trying to maximize all inbound cars that can be sold prior to year end... There are many scenarios...but at the end of the day, they are jerking you around.

So, find a new dealer...see what they will do. Might I recommend a Board Sponsor? They seem to be very no-nonsense. One you have a deal in hand, cancel the other deal. I do not like using one against the other- so once you commit with the second dealer you are committed. However, you should tell dealer one, "I need a written confirmation of a production WEEK by close of business TODAY. If I do not get this, for whatever reason, I may need to rethink our business relationship."

(Not saying cancel, not saying "i am going elsewhere"....)

My 2 cents
Agreed 100%. Ard is right on the money. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_UKTX View Post
Agreed 100%. Ard is right on the money. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Thanks for the help everyone. I actually kinda did what Ard suggested before he posted his msg. I told the dealer that I wanted a production number by the end of the day or I was going to look elsewhere. 2 hours later I had an order sheet with a production number in hand for allocation week 49.

The dealer told me they didn't have any allocations for an x5 50i and had to trade another dealer to get it. Not sure if they were just saying that but I've dealt with them for awhile and find them reasonably trustworthy. Cant' wait for my X5 50i!
Old 11-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Fantastic. Congrats Enjoy your car!

Sent from my Android device using Bimmer

Gone but not forgotten: