Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5D and 2014 M5
2011 x5d; very strange; Diesel nozzle does not go in...

Very strange situation. My wife was driving today from Sacramento to Los Angeles for the holidays. She calls me this morning and says that she couldn't fit the Diesel nozzle into the tank (she has done it many times before). I say nozzle is probably bent; go to a different gas station. She does; same thing. This was Shell; she call on the attendant to help. He looks says there is something "stock" there and he is unable to insert the nozzle as well. After some gentle manipulation, he gets the nozzle in and puts in a full tank. She had an uneventful 5.5 hr drive. When she arrived, I open up the tank; the little square guard door is up; when I push on it, it does not give at all. No signs of any external or internal damage anywhere. Naturally, first call Monday is to BMW dealer. In the meantime, WTF is going on? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: e36, e92, e70, e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdoc74 View Post
Very strange situation. My wife was driving today from Sacramento to Los Angeles for the holidays. She calls me this morning and says that she couldn't fit the Diesel nozzle into the tank (she has done it many times before). I say nozzle is probably bent; go to a different gas station. She does; same thing. This was Shell; she call on the attendant to help. He looks says there is something "stock" there and he is unable to insert the nozzle as well. After some gentle manipulation, he gets the nozzle in and puts in a full tank. She had an uneventful 5.5 hr drive. When she arrived, I open up the tank; the little square guard door is up; when I push on it, it does not give at all. No signs of any external or internal damage anywhere. Naturally, first call Monday is to BMW dealer. In the meantime, WTF is going on? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
Bad pump nozzle bent at the top and bottom, from what I don't know but happens all the time. I notice it more with diesel pumps where a lot of trucks use them. The two release tabs are on the top and bottom for the filler door. Rotate the pump handle 90 degrees and viola...then rotate back. Good to go.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
its happened to me a couple of times, but usually get it in there, or just go to the next station.
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes98 View Post
Bad pump nozzle bent at the top and bottom, from what I don't know but happens all the time. I notice it more with diesel pumps where a lot of trucks use them. The two release tabs are on the top and bottom for the filler door. Rotate the pump handle 90 degrees and viola...then rotate back. Good to go.
My wife has reported this same issue at the diesel station that is closest to our house. She even asked a truck driver to help her and he was stumped, which goes along with another poster's experience.

I've noticed that the nozzles here are dented, and I've had to struggle a bit to get them to work at times, and in retrospect the rotating may have done the trick.

But another thing I've noticed is that this station has a coil wrapped around the nozzle; looks like it may be a spring, but maybe it's some sort of vapor recovery line. Anyway, I've noticed that unless I tilt the handle up, this spring-like contraption hangs up and prevents the nozzle itself from adequately "penetrating" the fill pipe.

No now we have two suspects. But maybe it is Major Mustard inthe dining room with a candlestick who is the real culprit!

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-20-2011, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: e36, e92, e70, e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post

But another thing I've noticed is that this station has a coil wrapped around the nozzle; looks like it may be a spring, but maybe it's some sort of vapor recovery line. Anyway, I've noticed that unless I tilt the handle up, this spring-like contraption hangs up and prevents the nozzle itself from adequately "penetrating" the fill pipe.

No now we have two suspects. But maybe it is Major Mustard inthe dining room with a candlestick who is the real culprit!
quackbury, what happen to your duck, its morphed into a monkey?

The spring thingy is to keep the nozzle from slide out on trucks filler necks. Those are a pain especially when they get "stretched" out. Trucks don't have the mis-fuelling filler doors that stop you from putting in the unleaded fuel nozzle in. Truck filler necks are bigger to allow AG diesel nozzles which do not fit without that nozzle adapter in the back. The release for the mis-fuelling filler door is on the top and bottom. If both are not pressed in at the same time the door will not open. By rotating the nozzle you get the right diameter and that opens the door. The dents in the nozzle gives the wrong diameter, hence won't push the release tabs in. Is that the mustard then?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5D and 2014 M5
Thanks for all you comments. I went to a local Diesel station this morning. The nozzle went in without a hitch. I guess my wife was unlucky enough to go to 2 stations with bad D nozzles in a row.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:12 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes98 View Post
quackbury, what happen to your duck, its morphed into a monkey?
Thanks for noticing. You stalking me?

About 6 months ago some dweeb got ticked off at ard, cdnrockies and me and called us a bunch of monkey azzes. I did a Google search for a pic of a flying monkey, found this guy with the martini glass, and said "Yep, that's me!"

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Good times, good times....
Old 11-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
This same exact thing happenned to me a few years ago at an unleaded pump...I just blamed it on the rough and tumble weekend I had...
Old 11-27-2011, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0si & 2012 X5d
Had the same issue at a Citgo in the Chicago area, the Nozzle had a lip on the end where you unable to fit in to your X5 tank.....
Old 11-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
During a trip in Nebraska, I found three stations in a row that had standard gasoline sized nozzles on their diesel pumps. No idea why... I wonder if perhaps older pickups with diesel engines had gasoline sized fillers? One was Amoco, and two were Shell stations, so it's not like they were small local independent stations.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:26 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
During a trip in Nebraska, I found three stations in a row that had standard gasoline sized nozzles on their diesel pumps. No idea why... I wonder if perhaps older pickups with diesel engines had gasoline sized fillers? One was Amoco, and two were Shell stations, so it's not like they were small local independent stations.
I run into that all the time with my truck. I would say unless its a truck stop, the nozzles tend to be gasoline sized. Does this cause a problem when filling?

I'm getting ready to order my first BMW (X5d) and want to make sure I won't have any issues filling it up :o

Jay
Old 11-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
I run into that all the time with my truck. I would say unless its a truck stop, the nozzles tend to be gasoline sized. Does this cause a problem when filling?

I'm getting ready to order my first BMW (X5d) and want to make sure I won't have any issues filling it up :o

Jay
I spilled some diesel the first time I was filling my 35d as the spring on the nozzle wouldn't let it go in.

Now I wait for the tank to nearly empty and fill 21 gallons. I guess the capacity is 22.5..I use the best guess. I haven't found a gas station that would automatically shut off on diesel like gas because of this nozzle.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
You could also always use the diesel adapter that comes with the car, if you dont mind geting it dirty. I had this issue as well and my trunk was loaded with groceries so i couldnt get the adapter out..but it was a fun adventure, especially when we heard a click so it sounded like the restrictor got out of the way but it didnt so all the diesel just sprayed right back at us lol.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I spilled some diesel the first time I was filling my 35d as the spring on the nozzle wouldn't let it go in.

Now I wait for the tank to nearly empty and fill 21 gallons. I guess the capacity is 22.5..I use the best guess. I haven't found a gas station that would automatically shut off on diesel like gas because of this nozzle.
I dont think most nozzels should stay on even if they are diesel, everytime ive been to the stations, it would shut on its own..IF YOU WANT NEAT CLEAN NOZZELS THAT WORK GURANTEED THEN GO TO SHELL.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerx53 View Post
I dont think most nozzels should stay on even if they are diesel, everytime ive been to the stations, it would shut on its own..IF YOU WANT NEAT CLEAN NOZZELS THAT WORK GURANTEED THEN GO TO SHELL.
I go to shell and in fact I'll go today since the low fuel warning came on but I won't risk spilling again. will fill in 21 gallons

I have tried Chevron, shell, Exxon and the nozzle has a spring and as a result wont go totally in and if it doesn't go in properly - the auto shut off wont work.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post
I go to shell and in fact I'll go today since the low fuel warning came on but I won't risk spilling again. will fill in 21 gallons

I have tried Chevron, shell, Exxon and the nozzle has a spring and as a result wont go totally in and if it doesn't go in properly - the auto shut off wont work.
Hmm thats strange..is this your first x5?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Mein Auto: 08 X5 4.8i
Had this problem w/ the wife's new VW TDI SportWagon. The attendant told me that the pumps were older and originally meant for larger diesel trucks and big rigs. Not sure if it's true but makes sense to me.

Last edited by Jerastan; 11-29-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
One of the stations near me has two different size nozzles on their diesel pumps. I have an older F250 and it will only accept the smaller ones so I can only use certain pumps. The fuel cans that I use for my tractor are the same way and won't accept the larger nozzles.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)