Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-29-2011, 03:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Mechatronics sleeve leakage

My car's warranty is about to be over, so I took it to an independent shop to do a thorough check. Good thing I did that, because the mechatronics sleeve was leaking transmission oil. (Not sure if the dealer would catch that while they change engine oil.)

The dealer replaced the sleeve under warranty and hopefully it won't be an issue again. While they were at it, I asked them to put in new transmission fluid, cost me about $120. (My car has about 25K miles).

Hopefully things will be fine with the auto transmission in the long term.
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
I just had the same work done on my 528 also, with around 60K miles. Work was covered by CPO. This seems to be a common problem, at least with the 528's.

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to N52B30AE
Mein Auto: 2007 525i
Had a problem on my '07 525i with the transmission surging. Turned out to be a leak in the mechatronics sleeve. Seems to be a problem with the automatic they re-sealed it and changed the bolts and added transmission fluid. Anybody know if this a problem that keeps coming back?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530i, '07 C280, ML320
This is a well-known problem on both BMW and Mercedes cars. Mechatronics or ConductorPlate+ValveBody houses the valves that control the transmission. There is an electrical connection on the side of mechatronics (or conductor plate and Valvebody) and connects to transmission controller/TCU. The bushing/sleeve/gasket is supposed to prevent trans fluid leak out from that electrical connection. Due to age/temp/manufacturing defect, that bushing/sleeve starts to leak trans fluid. On BMW, that connector is not so easy to reach with the trans pan in place. So, they drop the pan, reach in to the connector, replace that bushing and put back the trans pan.

I have replaced that bushing on all Mercedes cars/trucks I owned at least once on each vehicle. On BMW, it hasn't started leaking yet. Every time my car is on the hoist, I look for leaks around that electrical connector on the side of trans pan.

BMW/Mercedes dealer will charge around $700 for replacing that bushing/sleeve. Part is less than $20. Once you understand how that sleeve/connector works (twist on the tab, pull-out), it's an easy DIY job.

Last edited by pcy; 11-30-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I guess every time an oil change is done in the future, I'll ask to check this thing.

Note to self: never buy another automatic if I can (persuade wife).
Old 11-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Learning Daily

Mein Auto: 89 CIVIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcy View Post
This is a well-known problem on both BMW and Mercedes cars. Mechatronics or ConductorPlate+ValveBody houses the valves that control the transmission. There is an electrical connection on the side of mechatronics (or conductor plate and Valvebody) and connects to transmission controller/TCU. The bushing/sleeve/gasket is supposed to prevent trans fluid leak out from that electrical connection. Due to age/temp/manufacturing defect, that bushing/sleeve starts to leak trans fluid. On BMW, that connector is not so easy to reach with the trans pan in place. So, they drop the pan, reach in to the connector, replace that bushing and put back the trans pan.

I have replaced that bushing on all Mercedes cars/trucks I owned at least once on each vehicle. On BMW, it hasn't started leaking yet. Every time my car is on the hoist, I look for leaks around that electrical connector on the side of trans pan.

BMW/Mercedes dealer will charge around $700 for replacing that bushing/sleeve. Part is less than $20. Once you understand how that sleeve/connector works (twist on the tab, pull-out), it's an easy DIY job.
yeap very common on mercedes. if left untreated oil pressure will push the oil up the connector and into the transmission control unit. it'll be so bad to a point where you can take the transmission control unit out and flip it to drain the oil from where the pins are.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d
Does anyone know if the E60 '08 and later models have the same trans. as the '04 - '07 models.

Yeah, I had this sleeve issue as well. The dealer missed it when I took it to them. I had purchased the car from elsewhere, and shortly after, noticed a small amount of oil on the floor in my garage. I took the car in, and the dealer still didn't see anything. It wasn't until I researched on here and found that many people had the issue, that I took it back to them and told them exactly what it was, where they finally fixed it. Ahhhh, this is what frustrates me. The dealerhip quality for BMW varies from place to place, and calling BMW North America, they don't have any control.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
My 745

Send a message via Yahoo to smuhammad
Mein Auto: 03 745I
Quote:
Originally Posted by N52B30AE View Post
Had a problem on my '07 525i with the transmission surging. Turned out to be a leak in the mechatronics sleeve. Seems to be a problem with the automatic they re-sealed it and changed the bolts and added transmission fluid. Anybody know if this a problem that keeps coming back?
No, not yet. I just had my 03 745i Trans pan and Mechatronics sleeve changed. From Mckenna BMW so far NO issues

I'll keep you posted
Old 03-05-2013, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Dealer found the sleeve leaking about one month before the warrantee ran out on my wife's '08 535i. They will replace the transmission pan too since the pan is a composit material, not metal, and tends to warp and leak if reused. Not so lucky on my '07 750i; the leak started a two years after the warrantee expired; $800 later I was good to go.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:11 AM
My 745

I had to take my car back to the dealer. "Transmission Failsafe" came back again waiting to hear from the service advisor. The saga continues...
Old 03-05-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
2003 745i uses 5HPxx ZF transmission, completely different beast than 2004-2010 E60 5-series, whcih uses 6HPxx transmisson.
You probably have high-mileage 745i, get it diagnosed correctly; dealer not the best place for transmission work; they just replace with rebuild unit. It could be mechatronic, sensors, solenoids, torque-converter, clutch-packs etc.

Sorry to hear and good luck.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 AM
My 745

Yes. I have a 2003 745i with 127000 miles. I've had the car for almost two yrs, first "MAJOR" issue so far! Question... I heard that the problem could be a steering angle sensor. could that be true?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
I told you wrong, your E65 has 6HP26Z trans not the 5-speed 5HPxx; I got confused with E38 7-series I guess.

I suggest to post your problem on E65 forums, you are welcome here just that some people who has gone through similar problems way better advisor than I could be. States the symptoms in detail would help, like does it happens all the time, or when cold or hot, after a long drive etc...etc...
Modern BMW has so many sensors, it could be a steering angle sensor, even low batt gives out "trans fail save".
Old 03-05-2013, 11:02 AM
My 745

I beleive when hot and long drive. Batt. is a year old(Brand NEW a year ago)
Old 05-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Miles Nerona

Mein Auto: 2007 550I M Package
Just got my baby back.I miss her so much.New mechatronic!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i
Just got my car back from a renowned indy for an oil change, and they informed me the transmission connector, sleeve is leaking. They mentioned I should eventually get it fixed but said it isn't immediately required to fix. (Guessing partly because the leak isn't huge yet) Any issues with leaving this alone for a while as long as I keep the fluid topped off?

The only tranny issue I'm having is the common 35-45 mph surge where the car feels like it wants to shift but hesitates and repeats until I'm out if the 45 mph range. Will replacing the leaking sleeve fix this issue?

Last edited by allroadstar; 06-08-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by allroadstar View Post
Just got my car back from a renowned indy for an oil change, and they informed me the transmission connector, sleeve is leaking. They mentioned I should eventually get it fixed but said it isn't immediately required to fix. (Guessing partly because the leak isn't huge yet) Any issues with leaving this alone for a while as long as I keep the fluid topped off?

The only tranny issue I'm having is the common 35-45 mph surge where the car feels like it wants to shift but hesitates and repeats until I'm out if the 45 mph range. Will replacing the leaking sleeve fix this issue?
No, it won't fix that issue unless (perhaps) the fluid level is low. Did they check your fluid level?

Assuming it's not low, than you might need to replace your fluid and filter if you have more than 60K on it. No, it's absolutely not "lifetime fill'. 6 new liters will put about 60% new fluid in it. Never put original old fluid back in.

If that doesn't fix it, dump the mostly replaced fluid into a clean container and inspect the mechatronics connection to the turbine section. They get old and sometimes change in size. Then either put the fluid you dumped back in, or if you want to get the change up to about 90%, replace the dumped fluid with yet another 6 liters of fresh. If that doesn't fix it, you might need actuators. Do the thing again with the fluid, because you can reuse it if its near new.

As long as the old fluid you originally dumped doesn't stink, and doesn't have a lot of metal attached to the magnets, your turbine section is probably OK. Also, the problem you point out is often fixed by the items above.

2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 10+ Years