Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2011, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 328i E36
Lightbulb New E36 Owner - Car Summary & Tips Request

Hello,

A few months ago, I acquired a 1997 328i Std. Coupe. This is my first Bimmer, and to be honest, it never crossed my mind to purchase this car, however I got very lucky with the deal and didn't think twice to make it mine... well yes, but my Uncle & Father made me change my mind.

I purchased the car from a very good friend of my Father. This guy is very "special" and meticulous in every aspect of his life, specially his cars. For this reason it was a guarantee that I was purchasing a car in excellent conditions. Best decision ever made

I purchased it with 108K km (67K miles) and now it's currently with 112K km (69.5K miles). I have the intention to make every preventive/corrective maintenance needed, and have my car sharp as new. However your advice and experience is greatly appreciated as I don't have deep pockets and would like to avoid spending unnecessary or at least too early.

Is there a way to pull the maintenance history for the car? Local Dealer or Global Database?

I have the following BMW services (at least recorded in the Service Manual):

1.- 02/09/1999 -> (12K miles) Oil Service
2.- 08/17/2000 -> (22.5K miles) Inspection 1
3.- 06/11/2002 -> (35K miles) Oil Service
4.- 07/17/2006 -> (55.5K miles) Inspection 1 / Brake Liquid

Looking at the above (only) 4 services, then it doesn't make any sense what wrote about my father's friend LOL... but really, car is, looks and drives as new. Soon I will upload & share some pictures.

What do you recommend me to do next or think is missing for maintenance considering the current mileage and the listed services? I have made the following progress so far, I'm a DIY guy:

Changed:

- Manual Transmission Oil
- Coolant
- 3 Hoses that plug to the Radiator
- Radiator Vent Screw
- Belt Tensioner
- Both V-Belts
- K&N Air Filter (Cleaned)
- Spark Plugs

On The Way (Just Ordered):

- New Brake Rotors, Pads & Sensors
- Camshaft Sensor & O-Ring