Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Getting Ready to Order should I get Apps?

I don't currently own an iPhone but I do have an iPad2, will BMW apps get me anything worth the $300 option price.

I have Android phones and presumably will in the future.

I've searched but lots of posts have BMW & Apps in them

Jay
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
It is $250 and if you don't have an iPhone it is useless. Do you think you will be plugging your iPad, if you do, where do you plan on keeping it? Plus your iPad would have to be 3G.
I made a mistake by getting BMW Apps. If you have $250 to gamble with or if you think it will be a selling point when it is time (BMW's future support of apps is questionable) then get it. Otherwise skip it.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: Sleigh
My wife and I both have iPhones and we never use the apps. Pass.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i M Sport
If you don't have an iPhone and never plan on getting one, then no. You can use the iPad if you really want to, but I think it would be very awkward. You could tether it to get more functionality. I think the next generation idrive will have Android functionality, but you will be SOL!
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

My ipad is not 3g but I use my Droid as a hotspot so my wife can use it on long trips. The plan was to just use a long dongle to connect it, so I didn't envision putting somewhere to be any akward then storing currently.

I think I'll skip, if I want to listen to pandora I understand the X5 should have an aux in anyway, and I'll just deal with not being able to control it through iDrive, not a deal killer.

Just didn't want to pass on a relatively cheap option and regret it later. Also don't want to throw away $300 for something I'll never use, so I think I'll skip it.

Thanks!
Jay
Old 12-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Car guy

Mein Auto: E39 M5/E70 X5 M sport
I got APPS on the theory there will be app upgrades down the line, and who knows. I have I phone and APPS is more or less useless, however, my so is a dj and I can listen to her show when I am out of town with web radio feature. Fwiw
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
I have an iPhone, and so does my wife, so I ordered the Apps. I like it, and it only runs me about $4/month if you figure out its cost in my lease.

Kinda cool that I can look on my iPhone right now and tell that I have 14.4 gallons left in the tank, 468 miles on the odometer and a range of 348 miles (it takes a reading when it was last unplugged - last night at 6:47 PM in my case).

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!