Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM
jDub

Mein Auto: 2012 X5d
X5d Questions - New BMW Owner

Just picked up my 2012 X5d on Friday and I'm loving this car!! It will be a miracle if I don't get pulled over before the end of the week. I had a 2011 Audi Q7 TDI for 7 months and traded it in. The X5 is superior to the Q7 in so many ways but there are a few differences that I've noticed and wondering if there's something I'm missing...

1. Can you change the dual climate mode to be controlled by just the drivers dial?
2. In the Q7 you could simply say "Call Al" and if there's only one number it would go directly to "calling Al" and dial. It seems like it's a 3 part process in the X5 - "contacts" then "Al" then "dial". Aside from the 6 quick auto buttons is there another way around this?
3. Is there a way to see the music broadcasting on another station when you scroll in the Satellite radio or only on the channel you're on?
4. If you're in presets and want to move up or down a channel do you have to go out of presets, in to satelite radio and then move from there? For instance if I'm on channel 9 and want to go to 10 but 10 is not on my presets then what's the quickest way to do that?

Obviously, I have some time to spend with my owners manual but this is more fun.
Ads by Google
Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: x5d
I use my preset buttons to store my most frequently called phone numbers. I use the idrive for everthing else. If you go to Vehicle Settings...click on climate. You can turn off the rear climate, but not sure if u can make everything driver-controlled.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
I agree the voice telephone calling is actually a step backwards from what they provided in older cars ... More steps than before.

So you will have to tell us all why did you trade the "boat" in after 7 months. Was she no longer sea worthy ?

Last edited by apw2607; 11-17-2011 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 PM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
I agree the voice telephone calling is actually a step backwards from what they provided in older cars ... More steps than before.

So you will have to tell us all why did you traded the "boat" in after 7 months. Was she no longer sea worthy ?
+1

Please tell.

- Mike

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!
Old 11-30-2011, 05:19 AM
jDub

Sorry for the delay! The Q7 drove like a boat...it has serious hesitation and just doesn't move like the BMW. Also, I'm on the shorter side so my seat was close to the steering wheel...the side windows are so angled that I was hitting my head on the door jam all the time. I missed the split back of my Volvo XC90...great for tailgating, putting the kids on to get ski boots on or cleats, etc. The rear cargo area is so large that all my items would move towards the back seat and I was having a hard time getting the things I had back there. The car was just too big for me. I also didn't upgrade the sound system (bang & olufsen for $6300!!) and the sound sucked. Driving on the highway with the windows open I couldn't get the stereo loud enough. On the contrary, the BMW is the perfect size and I love the power. I can't wait to get it in everyday and drive somewhere.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 & 2012 X5D
Congrat's! Welcome to the addiction. How did you equip your X5D?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: x5
I have a X5 2011 x50i. Is there a setting or Software update that allows the radio volume to remain where you left it? Every time I turn the car off, it resets to a low volume and it is driving me nuts
Old 11-30-2011, 06:53 PM
jDub

Thanks BEAMN - it really does feel like an addiction...especially with this website. I ordered my X5d with the premium package (keyless entry, top view camera, nav, etc - not sure if this package is the same everywhere?), cold weather package, premium sound, 3rd row seats, and BMW Apps. I went with the standard tires - I've never cared about rims before but I can see that the next car that might be an upgrade to consider - some of the other rims look hot!) Are you driving the diesel?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM
jDub

I haven't notoced that happening in my car - but I also haven't seen anything in settings that would adjust that. sorry.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 diesel
To get back to the OPs questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jDub View Post
1. Can you change the dual climate mode to be controlled by just the drivers dial?
So far, I haven't been able to figure this one out. All of the vehicles that I've had in the past had a button that when pressed, made the driver and passenger side controlled with one knob. For now, I'm adjusting both.
Quote:
2. In the Q7 you could simply say "Call Al" and if there's only one number it would go directly to "calling Al" and dial. It seems like it's a 3 part process in the X5 - "contacts" then "Al" then "dial". Aside from the 6 quick auto buttons is there another way around this?
It seems that on this system, it takes a lot more voice commands to get where you want to go. Did you look at the manual? I don't want to be "that guy" who just says RTFM, but there is a good section in there dealing with voice commands and it lists them all. I'm guilty of not not studying this section, but it is on my list of things to do.
Quote:
3. Is there a way to see the music broadcasting on another station when you scroll in the Satellite radio or only on the channel you're on?
Not that I've found, and that's kind of unfortunate. My wife has it on her radio and uses it all the time.
Quote:
4. If you're in presets and want to move up or down a channel do you have to go out of presets, in to satelite radio and then move from there? For instance if I'm on channel 9 and want to go to 10 but 10 is not on my presets then what's the quickest way to do that?
This one is easy, and if I remember correctly, it works while in presets. I use the up/down buttons on the steering wheel to move to the next/previous station.