Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
Believe I have the real data on 335D Oil Capacity

Was at the dealer today because got a screw in a tire on the 3 week old (to me) car. Was near the edge so not repairable. Guess $300 out the door is not terrible.

I asked the senior tech about oil capacity. He indicated it takes 8-1/2 bottles of Castrol quarts to bring it to the full line on the 335D. Thus I suspect the full capacity (with filter) is 8 liters. But most dealers will put in 8 quarts (7.57 liters) placing the level about 1/2 quart low, or midway between the full and add one quart mark.

Last edited by KeithS; 11-29-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Five is Right Out!

Mein Auto: 1987 190DT, 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Was at the dealer today because got a screw in a tire on the 3 week old (to me) car. Was near the edge so not repairable. Guess $300 out the door is not terrible.

I asked the senior tech about oil capacity. He indicated it takes 8-1/2 bottles of Castrol quarts to bring it to the full line. Thus I suspect the full capacity (with filter) is 8 liters. But most dealers will put in 8 quarts (7.57 liters) placing the level about 1/2 quart low, or midway between the full and add one quart mark.
Mine is not an E90, but the engines are the same. Mine has always taken 7.4 quarts to get to 1/3-1/2 of a quart below full. So the oil change kit should come with 8 quarts and you'll have about 0.6 quarts left over.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:47 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:

I asked the senior tech about oil capacity. He indicated it takes 8-1/2 bottles of Castrol quarts to bring it to the full line. Thus I suspect the full capacity (with filter) is 8 liters. But most dealers will put in 8 quarts (7.57 liters) placing the level about 1/2 quart low, or midway between the full and add one quart mark.
Do dealers really buy it in quart bottles? I always thought they had these huge vats in the ceiling. The things you learn from Bimmerfest Also, why would theu use quarts rather than liters (litres)? Sounds fishy to me.

Last edited by ProRail; 11-29-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM
"Clunker" *****

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Do dealers really buy it in quart bottles? I always thought they had these huge vats in the ceiling. The things you learn from Bimmerfest Also, why would theu use quarts rather than liters (litres)? Sounds fishy to me.
Why does it take so long to edit? Seems to me it used to be instantaneous.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProRail View Post
Yes they use bottles for the LL-04 Diesel oil. They have drums for the more common LL-01 oil. They get the LL-04 oil in quarts becasue it's manufactured and packaged in the USA. Same bottle that you can find on the shelf of a well stocked auto supply store.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesaroo View Post
Mine is not an E90, but the engines are the same. Mine has always taken 7.4 quarts to get to 1/3-1/2 of a quart below full. So the oil change kit should come with 8 quarts and you'll have about 0.6 quarts left over.
Think I have your answer. 335D and the X5 35D may have the same engine, but they do not have the same oil pan. Doesn't the front drive axle go right through the middle of the oil pan on the X5? It sounds as the space displaced by the tunnel for the axle is about 1/2 a quart.

Why do you not use the full 8 (or 7.9) quarts and put it on the full line?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
what color of your dipstick? There is a minor difference (~.25 liter) between red and black.

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 11-30-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM

Red, What's the difference and why? I would think a black one would make it real hard to see the level.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
Red, What's the difference and why? I would think a black one would make it real hard to see the level.
Minor changes in the oil pan I suppose. I found that info over a year ago on Amsoils website. It was 7.3 liters for black and 7.5 liters for red. IIRC only earlier models had red.