Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6
Variable Sports Steering?

Hi all,

Just beating the dead horse again... Option 2VL (Variable Sports Steering) or not? I am going to place an order today or tmrw.

From the reviews, it seems like nobody mentions the 2VL option...they do say that depending on the mode selected, the steering response changes. Some people are saying that "Active Steering" option actually changes the gear ratio, but the VSS just changes the steering's electrical boost/assistance. Not sure who is right and I am kind of confused now. I'd prefer a tighter and more precise steering when in sports mode, but i do not like the idea of variable ratio...

Please advise...its only $300 option
Ads by Google
Old 11-29-2011, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Honda Accord EX V6
I just checked the international press release pdf for F30, and this is what I found:

Quote:
"Optional Variable Sports Steering. Optionally a new variable-ratio steering system can be specified. Variable Sports Steering provides different steering gear ratios depending on the angle of the steering wheel, so that the new BMW 3 Series responds either more directly or more softly to the driver's inputs. This reduces the number of steering wheel rotations required for bigger turns by up to 25 per cent and makes for easier, more convenient parking and turning since less effort is required from the driver. Also, the handling is sharper in general, for example when very sudden evasive action is called for. At smaller steering angles between zero and 100 degrees, on the other hand, the Sedan provides high standards of track-holding and straightline stability, and offers very precise response to steering changes. The variable-ratio steering is a purely mechanical system based on a variable-ratio steering rack."
Old 11-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Automotive Supplier

Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
Variable sports steering has nothing to do with EPS, HPS, or Active Steering; it can be done on all of them.

People get confused of Variable Assist (which is when the assist level varies with your speed) and Variable Rack Travel.

Your steering gear has notches in it, and that is how the pinion moves the rack. A variable rack has set of notches in the middle, and another set on the ends. Basically it mechanically varies the revolutions per mm of rack travel. The more revolutions per minute the faster your rack moves, and the less turns you need at the steering wheel to move from lock to lock.

http://www.zakgear.com/Rack.html

So your car can have the following:

Variable or Constant Rack Travel/Ratio (Left/Right steering speed increase)
Variable or Constant Assist Level (Slower/Faster steering effort increase)
Active or Non-Active Steering (Active can enhance either of the above two cases and can also "steer" the car for you slightly in the case of an ESP event)

Last edited by LS2 MN6; 11-29-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degreeman View Post
Hi all,

Just beating the dead horse again... Option 2VL (Variable Sports Steering) or not? I am going to place an order today or tmrw.

From the reviews, it seems like nobody mentions the 2VL option...they do say that depending on the mode selected, the steering response changes. Some people are saying that "Active Steering" option actually changes the gear ratio, but the VSS just changes the steering's electrical boost/assistance. Not sure who is right and I am kind of confused now. I'd prefer a tighter and more precise steering when in sports mode, but i do not like the idea of variable ratio...

Please advise...its only $300 option
How are you placing an order? My dealer told me today they dont have the ordering sheet yet. Are you ordering your specific options or just putting a deposit to get on the list? Thanks.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Why not? Go for it.

X3 has the 2VL as part of the DHP.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Not really answering your question, but I have Active Steering. It was a little weird feeling for the first couple of days, but since then I don't notice it, except for the ease of turning in parking lots.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 12-01-2011, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Anyone know anything about this option? I am ordering my car tomorrow and thinking about getting it, but its hard to choose without trying it. Its cheap at 300, but what exactly does it do?