Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Seems like Google/Android Smartphones are like SPY phones

Everything Google/Android related seems related to spying in one way or another. Whether it be the smartphone its self

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...niel-gelernter

or your Wifi at home or work..

http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/15/2...reless-network

and for those who use Sprint and Verizon..

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...bile/231903096
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by stylinexpat; 11-16-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
Old 11-16-2011, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 323i Convertable
Ain't that some ****! Opens business line for a new business and within 3 days...and for more than 6 month you are pounded by phone calls of people trying to sell you websites, credit card machines and tshirts...
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Everything Google/Android related seems related to spying in one way or another. Whether it be the smartphone its self

http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...niel-gelernter
Get ready for Apple, sty... and to say Latitude can't be turned off? You've gotta start wondering the author's credibility...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._services.html

Oh wait, Apple is already doing it!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384703,00.asp

Quote:
Both Apple and Google admitted to tracking users' whereabouts for the purpose of providing location-based services and promised to make changes to allow customers to opt out of the tracking more easily.
Quote:
Not defending Google in this case, but if SSID is not hidden, it's no different than putting a sign outside your door saying what SSID you have.

Besides, you're fine with Google driving around taking pictures of the whole street somehow? SSID is sort of invisible, while the objects are not.

Quote:

and for those who use Sprint and Verizon..

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...bile/231903096
This article has nothing related to Google / Android, how does it relate to the post? Besides, have you forgotten at&t?

http://www.netxt.com/att-is-tracking...investigation/

So what's the conclusion for you, sty? You shouldn't be using wifi; you shouldn't be using smartphones, and you shouldn't use any wireless services

Finally, mark my words - privacy concern on Siri will be raised down the road. It's an AI application, meaning it has to learn from daily interactions with you and store them somewhere. Nothing against clever AI and the learning stuff, but just something to consider when you talk to Siri next time, because it's no different than Google learning how to "enhance" its search result by storing and analyzing your search requests.

Last edited by Griffoun; 11-16-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:22 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
i think i'll hold on to my WinMo 6.1 phone for a little longer....

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Get ready for Apple, sty... and to say Latitude can't be turned off? You've gotta start wondering the author's credibility...

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._services.html

Oh wait, Apple is already doing it!

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384703,00.asp

Not defending Google in this case, but if SSID is not hidden, it's no different than putting a sign outside your door saying what SSID you have.

Besides, you're fine with Google driving around taking pictures of the whole street somehow? SSID is sort of invisible, while the objects are not.

This article has nothing related to Google / Android, how does it relate to the post? Besides, have you forgotten at&t?

http://www.netxt.com/att-is-tracking...investigation/

So what's the conclusion for you, sty? You shouldn't be using wifi; you shouldn't be using smartphones, and you shouldn't use any wireless services

Finally, mark my words - privacy concern on Siri will be raised down the road. It's an AI application, meaning it has to learn from daily interactions with you and store them somewhere. Nothing against clever AI and the learning stuff, but just something to consider when you talk to Siri next time, because it's no different than Google learning how to "enhance" its search result by storing and analyzing your search requests.
Have you logged on to Google Dashboard recently?
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 11-17-2011, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Have you logged on to Google Dashboard recently?
Yeah?

If you're talking about Latitude, it says I have no history.

And people like FourSquare and Facebook and doing check-ins all over the place.... which I can never understand.

Last edited by Griffoun; 11-17-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah?

If you're talking about Latitude, it says I have no history.

And people like FourSquare and Facebook and doing check-ins all over the place.... which I can never understand.
There you can see every Youtube video you have seen,every Google search you have done,every location you have searched on Google Maps,copy of every contact in your contact book,every Google Device you have used,etc..
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 11-17-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
There you can see every Youtube video you have seen,every Google search you have done,every location you have searched on Google Maps,copy of every contact in your contact book,every Google Device you have used,etc..
Only if you logged in to google and perform those activities. For me, I can only see this history of youtubes viewed if I had signed in on those days, or else it would not associate those history to my login.

Granted, it's going to store all those activities regardless of one is signed in or not, just that they're visible to you.

I'm against Google to know everything I do, but my point being Google is not the only company on earth to do something like this. Apple is another one, and so do Microsoft, Yahoo, etc. If you have connected GPS that provides real time traffic, weather, etc, those companies also log requests you submitted, and they also store your location, speed, etc without you pushing any buttons or interactions with your device, so they use it to provide and calculate traffic and routes. What's more, they store it at such a detailed level that you haven't thought about. When you shop at Amazon, it saves all your search whether with your account, or as cookies if you did not sign in. Just a couple more examples.

Google is an easy target just because it's in the business to collect data. For those that are not, you think they don't track and log your information? Think again.

I'm not a sucker nor cool-aid drinker, just stay alert and learn ways to disable these "features" wherever and whenever possible. One can't be ignorant and whine about what companies are doing behind the scene and hope these things will go away - they simply won't, and they will get worse, whether it's Google, Facebook, Tweeter, Groupon, Apple, you name it!

For those so sensitive about it, don't use internet and don't use smartphones. Heck, even activities on dumb-phones are tracked nowadays, and you do know wireless carriers store all your call history regardless of what kind of phone you use, right?

Or else, try live the live like Osama bin Laden... stay in the house all day long and only keep in touch with the rest of the world via the good old messengers.

After all is said and done, do you still feel like having fun with Siri?

Last edited by Griffoun; 11-17-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Only if you logged in to google and perform those activities. For me, I can only see this history of youtubes viewed if I had signed in on those days, or else it would not associate those history to my login.

Granted, it's going to store all those activities regardless of one is signed in or not, just that they're visible to you.

I'm against Google to know everything I do, but my point being Google is not the only company on earth to do something like this. Apple is another one, and so do Microsoft, Yahoo, etc. If you have connected GPS that provides real time traffic, weather, etc, those companies also log requests you submitted, and they also store your location, speed, etc without you pushing any buttons or interactions with your device, so they use it to provide and calculate traffic and routes. What's more, they store it at such a detailed level that you haven't thought about. When you shop at Amazon, it saves all your search whether with your account, or as cookies if you did not sign in. Just a couple more examples.

Google is an easy target just because it's in the business to collect data. For those that are not, you think they don't track and log your information? Think again.

BINGO!!

I'm not a sucker nor cool-aid drinker, just stay alert and learn ways to disable these "features" wherever and whenever possible. One can't be ignorant and whine about what companies are doing behind the scene and hope these things will go away - they simply won't, and they will get worse, whether it's Google, Facebook, Tweeter, Groupon, Apple, you name it!

For those so sensitive about it, don't use internet and don't use smartphones. Heck, even activities on dumb-phones are tracked nowadays, and you do know wireless carriers store all your call history regardless of what kind of phone you use, right?

Or else, try live the live like Osama bin Laden... stay in the house all day long and only keep in touch with the rest of the world via the good old messengers.

After all is said and done, do you still feel like having fun with Siri?
Say you have Google Finance application and you have your stocks watch list on there then you need to be logged in for this to take place so if you have such an application then by consenting to use the Google Finance application you have also consented for Google to have a copy of all you do on your smartphone and all that is on your smartphone.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Say you have Google Finance application and you have your stocks watch list on there then you need to be logged in for this to take place so if you have such an application then by consenting to use the Google Finance application you have also consented for Google to have a copy of all you do on your smartphone and all that is on your smartphone.
That's how copules argue - the wife take a few words from another person's mouth and make it out of context.

Just because I use google finance doesn't grant google the rights to monitor and spy everything I do on my phone, Android or iOS. Quote me the service agreement from Google to back up your claim. It knows because I use everything form the same Google account. One can always use google finance with a@google.com, then android with b@google.com, google doc with c@google.com so that google can't directly tie all your accounts and activities into one single page on google dashboard.

Because you're signed on to Google with single account, it knows you are the one performing those activities.

The same happens whether you're on Yahoo, Microsoft Live or any other web portals.

Do those portals give you the transparency Google Dashboard gives you?

Like I've told you, live the way OBL did and feel better about yourself. You have been giving concents to business and services that you deal with already. And guess what, I'm only giving out information knowingly and unknowningly in the US, while you're giving information away all over the world with you travelling so much and pee in so many different countries - all without the act of Google.

Use credit card much?

Last edited by Griffoun; 11-17-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: E34/5
I love people that download every app in the market and then bitch about security. Root your phone and take control .
Old 11-19-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanM50 View Post
I love people that download every app in the market and then bitch about security. Root your phone and take control .
If you take your SIM card out of your smartphone then you see this... If you root your smartphone are you able to get the same picture on Dashboard as if you did not have your SIM card installed to where none of the information is available online
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dashboard.png
Views:	122
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	301884  
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 11-20-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
If you take your SIM card out of your smartphone then you see this... If you root your smartphone are you able to get the same picture on Dashboard as if you did not have your SIM card installed to where none of the information is available online
That is the beauty of root my friend...you can do literally...anything you want. PS-I don't have a sim card...I use a CDMA device.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27 AM

I had figured this..

http://news.yahoo.com/smartphone-spying-204933867.html

http://lifehacker.com/5863895/carrie...w-to-remove-it

330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
When members start disapearing we'll all wonder why
Old 12-01-2011, 06:22 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj745 View Post
When members start disapearing we'll all wonder why
we would identify them as android and iOS users?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW View Post
we would identify them as android and iOS users?
It's on all smartphone OS.

But it's easier to track them down if they disappear from the forum, except for Dave.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:02 AM
Turn Burglar

Mein Auto: Red Assless Chaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Good info. I just used your Verizon link to completely opt out of "User Location Servivces"

Last edited by PhilipWOT; 12-02-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:21 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
It's on all smartphone OS.

But it's easier to track them down if they disappear from the forum, except for Dave.
http://crackberry.com/research-motio...%80%99t-either

Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Luckily we don't have this sort of crap on our phones here in Taiwan.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
If government says we want to put an app and track down every singe user, people will revolt. But when they do it via carriers or companies like google and call it "carrier IQ" people don't mind because they can see the weather as they travel, you know it is very difficult for them to check what's the weather like by putting their zipcode in a website!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:37 AM

A must read article and watch video.

http://blog.gsmarena.com/iphone-blac...assange-video/
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-02-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Luckily we don't have this sort of crap on our phones here in Taiwan.
But you have some other craps in Taiwan
Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Gmail security (or ANY google service) has been in the news for years. Why is everyone so paranoid? It's not like they are looking for random Android user from 'between California and Asia'...they are looking for serious people doing serious ****. So unless you are selling 12-packs of nukes for $14M, I think you are ok.

I also love how they list the file 'EPST.apk' as a 'spy' program...EPST is the .apk that runs your carrier programming. Your phone MUST have this file to operate unless rooted...in which case, if you are rooted...why are you worried?

PS-for those not in the 'android know'...there is a one click rooting app in the market and CyanogenMod builds a ROM for just about any phone worth owning...so root, flash CM7 and enjoy the privacy you are so concerned about.