Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Different tires on different wheels

I may have to post this in the tire section, but I'll try here first, being most are 1-series owners...

Driving a 128i with sport package. As most of you know, it has 225 rears and 205 fronts. The stock Goodyear NCT's (which I hate) are worn to the ware bars on the rear, but have at least 3/4 of their life left on the fronts. Since I loathe the Goodyears, I want them off the car, and so the rears will be replaced by something else, probably Conti Extreme DW non-rft. I know it is 'frowned upon' to have different tires front and rear, but how bad will it be to have one brand on rear and a different brand on front? Would it be better to swap out all 4, which I don't really mind, but the cheap man in me thinks it's a waste of a good tread? If I could rotate front to rear, that wouldn't be much of an issue, but alas...

Take your time replying, I'm swapping to winters tomorrow so I won't need to have these tires until April or so.

Thanks to all who will answer.
Tony
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
I had the same problem last year after about 24,000 miles, and since a pair of rear NCT5s would have cost $700, I opted to throw away the good fronts and mount 4 DWS tires for $600 (with a CCA discount).

The idea of combining RFTs and non RFTs - or even tires of two different makes/models - was quickly discarded as I want to be able to depend on the emergency & wet road handling of my 128i. I have not regretted that decision.

Tom
Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 1M, MINI Countryman S
Having 2 different tires front & back will result in very unpredictable handling as diff tires have diff grip (especially new vs old)

Some time back I had to drive summer tires front / winter back (bent 2 winter rims in huge pothole)
That was not fun at all - car goes from huge understeer to oversteer in a sec.