Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
But you have some other craps in Taiwan
We sure do I can't deny that Each country has its positives and negatives no matter where you travel to.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanM50 View Post
Gmail security (or ANY google service) has been in the news for years. Why is everyone so paranoid? It's not like they are looking for random Android user from 'between California and Asia'...they are looking for serious people doing serious ****. So unless you are selling 12-packs of nukes for $14M, I think you are ok.

I also love how they list the file 'EPST.apk' as a 'spy' program...EPST is the .apk that runs your carrier programming. Your phone MUST have this file to operate unless rooted...in which case, if you are rooted...why are you worried?

PS-for those not in the 'android know'...there is a one click rooting app in the market and CyanogenMod builds a ROM for just about any phone worth owning...so root, flash CM7 and enjoy the privacy you are so concerned about.
What are you running now
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: E34/5
CM7.1.0 overclocked
91Panda
BrainFuct kernel
Old 12-03-2011, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
Can you root & run custom rom in rezound? I was told you can't.

MeanM50, do you mean it's OK for them to track you and access to your data just because you don't sell nukes? As far as we know, they could even be recording our conversations, reviewing e-mails (wait, gmail has been doing that since day 1 anyway) and check where we were at any given moment? I think "I don't do anything bad, so they can track me" is not a strong enough defense to ignore this. Not everyone is tech savvy enough to root their phones.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Can you root & run custom rom in rezound? I was told you can't.

MeanM50, do you mean it's OK for them to track you and access to your data just because you don't sell nukes? As far as we know, they could even be recording our conversations, reviewing e-mails (wait, gmail has been doing that since day 1 anyway) and check where we were at any given moment? I think "I don't do anything bad, so they can track me" is not a strong enough defense to ignore this. Not everyone is tech savvy enough to root their phones.
If it runs android, it can be rooted. Period.

I do understand that the principal is deplorable and I don't personally think it's right, but I also don't think it's anything to worry much about.

Oh yeah...and yes...JUST about everyone can root their phone...people with no thumbs or people that can't follow instructions may have a hard time...but it's really pretty straight forward.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:04 PM

The problem is not if they can, but actually they have no clue they should or it is even an option. Most people pick up the phone, use for 2 years, and then move on and get a different phone.
As for Rezound, you may want to check, it seems like there is a problem with it being locked, but Verizon confirmed they have not been using or will not be installing CIQ on their devices, so it should be safe.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 PM

They have a temporary root for the Rezound at www.xda-developers.com which means they are pretty damn close. It's only a matter of time.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Yep but not full. It is good to get rid of carrier crapware, but since VZ is not supposed to be the one putting CIQ in there, we should be safe, on the other hand HTC supporting CIQ and vague response from officials at HTC is worrisome.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:56 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Yep but not full. It is good to get rid of carrier crapware, but since VZ is not supposed to be the one putting CIQ in there, we should be safe, on the other hand HTC supporting CIQ and vague response from officials at HTC is worrisome.
I'm sure Samsung and LG and all other smartphone makers are in "mum's the word" on CIQ when confronted.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
ES File Explorer and Titanium Backup both work on a partially rooted Rezound. That means you are free to remove whatever 'bloatware' or 'carrier crapware' as you put it, using those tools. Temp root just means you have full root until you reboot.

If you were HTC, would you lose out on millions of $$ because you didn't want to install a carrier app like CIQ? I wouldn't. Especially since HTC's are generally the easiest phones to work with when it comes to root and bootloaders. The dev community can undo any 'evil' the carriers try to pull off.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:12 AM

Seems like Skype has joined this spying crap as well. They did not do this in the past. Seems like every other update these days requires permission to read all your contact data and then write it after. Usually write means for them to write it or copy it to their server. One does not have the option to opt out of this.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-16 02.04.33.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	304969  
330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by stylinexpat; 12-15-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Seems like Skype has joined this spying crap as well. They did not do this in the past. Seems like every other update these days requires permission to read all your contact data and then write it after. Usually write means for them to write it or copy it to their server. One does not have the option to opt out of this.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Bimmer
So when you add a contact in Skype, how do you propose they WRITE the contact to your contact list??? Voodoo?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
So when you add a contact in Skype, how do you propose they WRITE the contact to your contact list??? Voodoo?
These days they don't just read the contact that you added they see your whole contact list from your contacts list When you click on the contact list you literally can see not just the contact list that you may have added to the Skype list but the whole contact list from your smartphone!

If it had asked permission to read or write Skype contact list I would not mind but it is not asking for permission to read your Skype contact list it is asking permission to read every single contact list from your smartphone. On a side note, not only does it read and write along with store this information on their server it also reads and stores all the text messages that you send and receive on their server. You know this because if you uninstall the application from your smartphone and then reinstall it later you will see that all your past messages are still there! So now a days they store all your personal contact list and personal messages on their own server. You also can not delete these messages from your smartphone individually without having to clear the whole list of messages but when you do from a computer and then access it via smartphone you will see that all your messages are still there and the reason is because they keep a copy on their server of both your contact list and all messages. All these companies are changing with the way things are done with every other update.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-15-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
You know this because if you uninstall the application from your smartphone and then reinstall it later you will see that all your past messages are still there!
First, the VERY first thing the app asks you is if you want it to sync your contacts or not...if you are worried about it, disable the sync.

Next, Skype can't hold all the info. It would be physically impossible for Skype to hang on to EVERY message from half a BILLION users. Even in their TOS...they state that they only hold messages on THEIR SERVERS as long as/if the law requires. That verbage may have changed since M$ took over...but I am certain it still says something to that effect.

Most Android apps store data on the SD card. It's not surprising that those messages are still there. Just like how you can play games like Drag Racing....uninstall it, reinstall it MONTHS later and still have the levels unlocked...unless you delete the app's corresponding folder (or sometimes the .tmp folder) on the SD, most of the app data will be there if you reinstall. Normally I would install the app and provide the file and folder locations, but I have no interest in installing that 12mb hunk of crap app on my phone...so you will be on your own finding them on the SD.

In the end, if you are so worried (especially after hearing all the BS going around about smartphone security lately) perhaps you should read the TOS's of the apps and services you use more carefully...it IS clearly stated how your information is going to be used in EVERY TOS.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
First, the VERY first thing the app asks you is if you want it to sync your contacts or not...if you are worried about it, disable the sync.

Next, Skype can't hold all the info. It would be physically impossible for Skype to hang on to EVERY message from half a BILLION users. Even in their TOS...they state that they only hold messages on THEIR SERVERS as long as/if the law requires. That verbage may have changed since M$ took over...but I am certain it still says something to that effect.

Most Android apps store data on the SD card. It's not surprising that those messages are still there. Just like how you can play games like Drag Racing....uninstall it, reinstall it MONTHS later and still have the levels unlocked...unless you delete the app's corresponding folder (or sometimes the .tmp folder) on the SD, most of the app data will be there if you reinstall. Normally I would install the app and provide the file and folder locations, but I have no interest in installing that 12mb hunk of crap app on my phone...so you will be on your own finding them on the SD.

In the end, if you are so worried (especially after hearing all the BS going around about smartphone security lately) perhaps you should read the TOS's of the apps and services you use more carefully...it IS clearly stated how your information is going to be used in EVERY TOS.

Correct, was disabled but contact list still went to Skype. Now Facebook will keep asking you to sync contacts on every startup and in settings the only option you have is to set to sync in order for it to stop asking you. Pretty much the same thing. Whether it be the sync option you first see when you log on or the option you see after when you go to settings is exactly the same with the same exact options. There is no such option as to not sync for good. If you choose to not to sync it will keep on popping back up hoping that one day you click on it by accident as the set option is set to sync when the screen first opens up and it will continue to pop up until it has been set to sync.

All these new popular applications these days such as Whatsapp,Facebook,Skype,Viber and the the rest all want to sync all your private contacts in order to pretty much use their application. With apps like Whatsapp you pretty much can't use it unless you accept the contacts sync. The whatsapp application does not allow you to choose what to sync so you pretty much have to not have those contacts in your smartphone in order for them to not sync with their server.

As for the Skype messages, just try sending some text messages and some chat message on the computer and you will see that they will later pop up on your smartphone. If you uninstall the application whether it be on the Iphone or the Android based devices you will see that the chats and messages will reappear on your smartphone so they are being kept on their servers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Face.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	305215  
330 Coupe Sold
Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
Quote:
Correct, was disabled but contact list still went to Skype. Now Facebook will keep asking you to sync contacts on every startup and in settings the only option you have is to set to sync in order for it to stop asking you. Pretty much the same thing. Whether it be the sync option you first see when you log on or the option you see after when you go to settings is exactly the same with the same exact options. There is no such option as to not sync for good. If you choose to not to sync it will keep on popping back up hoping that one day you click on it by accident as the set option is set to sync when the screen first opens up and it will continue to pop up until it has been set to sync.

All these new popular applications these days such as Whatsapp,Facebook,Skype,Viber and the the rest all want to sync all your private contacts in order to pretty much use their application. With apps like Whatsapp you pretty much can't use it unless you accept the contacts sync. The whatsapp application does not allow you to choose what to sync so you pretty much have to not have those contacts in your smartphone in order for them to not sync with their server.

As for the Skype messages, just try sending some text messages and some chat message on the computer and you will see that they will later pop up on your smartphone. If you uninstall the application whether it be on the Iphone or the Android based devices you will see that the chats and messages will reappear on your smartphone so they are being kept on their servers
there are like a billion apps for android and iphone. use a different one.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:48 AM

http://blogs.wsj.com/wtk-mobile/

Interesting but I am not sure I buy this..

On Android Facebook requests permission to read and write your contacts book and your sms messages.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
On Android Facebook requests permission to read and write your contacts book and your sms messages.
It sounds like the problem is with Facebook.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Not just a problem with Facebook. This is getting ridiculous these days. Article on Engadget and BBC news finally talking about this today. Users should not only be notified of these permissions in my opinion but also have the option to deny these permissions of access to ones personal info on their smartphone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1329354004.168761.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	312427   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1329354027.239779.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	312428   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1329354060.973342.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	312429   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1329354084.503361.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	312430   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1329354096.825384.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	312431  

330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM

They are all spies.. WTF should they have access to read all our SMS messages and all our contact info to begin with??

http://socialbarrel.com/facebook-den...essages/32884/
330 Coupe Sold
Old 02-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
They are all spies.. WTF should they have access to read all our SMS messages and all our contact info to begin with??

http://socialbarrel.com/facebook-den...essages/32884/
That story is a whole lot about nothing. "Sunday Times" writes an article and it spreads around without foundation. FB denies it, nobody proves anything and the press buries the rebuttal
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
That story is a whole lot about nothing. "Sunday Times" writes an article and it spreads around without foundation. FB denies it, nobody proves anything and the press buries the rebuttal
Facebook still does not allow users to opt out of allowing Facebook to read/write SMS messages from the users smartphone and they also do not allow users to opt out of allowing Facebook to read all personal contact data stored on smartphone. If they were that honest they would allow users the option to choose and pick what they want just like when you sync your Apple iPhone with your Mac Notebook to where you can choose what categories you want to sync and what Calendar dates/info you want to sync. I believe that when they give you the option to choose they are honest but do not trust them when they do not allow their users to choose or opt out. My $.02..
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41 AM

I support this Senator this crap is getting ridiculous.

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/04/senato...-capabilities/
330 Coupe Sold
Old 03-06-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Facebook still does not allow users to opt out of allowing Facebook to read/write SMS messages from the users smartphone and they also do not allow users to opt out of allowing Facebook to read all personal contact data stored on smartphone. If they were that honest they would allow users the option to choose and pick what they want just like when you sync your Apple iPhone with your Mac Notebook to where you can choose what categories you want to sync and what Calendar dates/info you want to sync. I believe that when they give you the option to choose they are honest but do not trust them when they do not allow their users to choose or opt out. My $.02..
Wow man. Just wow. YOU wanted a smartphone that is able to bring you your social networks, email, phone calls...etc...and then you bitch about the fact that you have to SHARE this info with your PHONE and the APPS that need the info to function??? I know Cricket has some bare-bones CDMA phones you can get...no FB, Skype or CIQ...get one...and stop being so paranoid.

That was the first thing, the next is: THE APPS VERY MUCH, DO LET YOU KNOW WHAT SERVICES/INFO THEY ARE VIEWING. Right when you hit 'Download' in the marketplace, another screen pops up that says 'Accept and Download'...before hitting that button like an ignorant fool, read through the rest of that screen. It very specifically tells you what you are getting into. If you are so worried, DON'T HIT THE FREAKING 'ACCEPT AND DOWNLOAD' BUTTON YOU FOOL.

And lastly, there are plenty of apps/tools that will allow you to 'custom tailor' your android permissions and (for example) stop FB from accessing your contact list...but...I have a feeling you will have some issue with that as well, so I will continue to let you be paranoid instead of showing you the way. Google it.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Wow man. Just wow. YOU wanted a smartphone that is able to bring you your social networks, email, phone calls...etc...and then you bitch about the fact that you have to SHARE this info with your PHONE and the APPS that need the info to function??? I know Cricket has some bare-bones CDMA phones you can get...no FB, Skype or CIQ...get one...and stop being so paranoid.

That was the first thing, the next is: THE APPS VERY MUCH, DO LET YOU KNOW WHAT SERVICES/INFO THEY ARE VIEWING. Right when you hit 'Download' in the marketplace, another screen pops up that says 'Accept and Download'...before hitting that button like an ignorant fool, read through the rest of that screen. It very specifically tells you what you are getting into. If you are so worried, DON'T HIT THE FREAKING 'ACCEPT AND DOWNLOAD' BUTTON YOU FOOL.

And lastly, there are plenty of apps/tools that will allow you to 'custom tailor' your android permissions and (for example) stop FB from accessing your contact list...but...I have a feeling you will have some issue with that as well, so I will continue to let you be paranoid instead of showing you the way. Google it.
Please explain why Facebook needs to access all my emails to function Please explain why Facebook needs to access all my call records to function Please explain why Facebook needs to access my personal text messages (SMS) to function Please explain why Facebook needs to access all my personal contacts to function One should not need to sync their whole personal address book on their phone in order to use Facebook. Do you need to sync your contacts from Microsoft Outlook on your computer in order to use Facebook on a laptop or desktop If you use a Mac, do you need to sync all your contacts from Apple's Contacts if you use Apple's OS in order to go to Facebook online

I know that it specifically tells you what you are getting into, the discussion and debate here is whether or not these applications really need to access all these things on your smartphone just to function and why they don't give you the option to opt out. On the Google Dashboard you can log in and change settings to supposedly opt out of certain things. The option to opt out did not exist until people complained and if people do not complain we will never have the option to choose to opt out of what we don't want on our smartphones.

So is the senator a fool as well for asking the FTC to investigate

http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/04/senato...-capabilities/

In his letter, Schumer (D-NY) asked the FTC “to investigate a disturbing and potentially unfair practice in the smartphone application market,” referring to New York Times reports saying apps on the smartphones can access the data without the owner’s knowledge.

From the link..

“When someone takes a private photo, on a private cell phone, it should remain just that: private,” Schumer said. “It sends shivers up the spine to think that one’s personal photos, address book, and who-knows-what-else can be obtained and even posted online – without consent.”
330 Coupe Sold