Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 08-04-2011, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E83
IMHO

Q5 -

Way too many buttons in the cockpit, the steering wheel looks like a big bun in the center, it's ugly to look at.

The exterior design is too rounded (GLK too boxy), BMW just right.

Driving/Handling... No need to said, BMW all the way!

LED headlights... Kinda lame.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: Volvo S40 2.4i
Considered both.

Q5: a lot of shiny elements inside out; lots of Bling-bling for no reason (including the day time headlight). I think it's not going to age well.

But Q5's base configuration is cheap and good: $38500 including standard leather seats, moonroof and heated seats. And without Nav the interior looks fine, unlike x3, which without packages just doesn't feel right.

I went with x3 cuz it's a better car inside out but paid dearly for it. If money is a big concern I would go with q5.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, 6MT
Any idea which one has better resale value?
'07 Jet Black 6mt 335i (e92; N54)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28i
Just got a 2011 X3 28i in July. The Q5 was one of the vehicle we tried before making our final choice. We tried: Mercedes GLK 350, Audi Q5, Lincoln MKX (which was the vehicle we had prior to the X3), Caddillac SRS, Lexus GX and a few others (Jeep, Hyunday, etc).

Nailing it down between the Q5 and the X3 to relate to your question, the Q5 gave us the impression of driving a big station wagon while the X3 did provide the communication with the road that we expected out of a new vehicle.

Not knocking the Q5 down. It is a great machine that has the added feature of dead angle warnings that was very high on my list. It is luxurious and well equipped too with lumbar support built in. However, Audi's marketing philosophy seems to restrict the number of vehicules made available to the general public and it is hard to negotiate with a dealer when there is only one Q5 on the lot. Dealer allotment is very restricted and this keeps prices up. No sense talking discounts.

The test drive of the X3 was a spoiler. This vehicle enables you to literally "live with the road" and the sense of being in control is very real. It is highly advanced, safe and responsive in every sense of the word.

I was also given the opportunity to further test drive it under extreme conditions (super heavy rainfall) at high speed (courtesy of BMW) on a dedicated course and, having been through several skid control and accident avoidance courses, the X3 amazed me as a phenomenal machine with the XDrive. Considering the high speeds that were involved and the amount of water (torrential rain) on the course, I have never been in a vehicle that behaved so well under such severe adverse conditions. The X Drive computer really works. I could not get this vehicle to skid off the curvy path no matter the speed. Amazing!

After driving our X3 for a few months now under normal conditions and at legal speeds, the claimed fuel economy is very real and I am still learning about the X3's features as the situations develop. Very impressed with the performance and safety of the X3.

On the negative side, I don't understand why BMW does not make lumbar support an option on the X3??? Being so safety minded, not having dead angle technology built in is also surprising.

Not sure if you made your choice by now but if truly being in control is important to you, you won't go wrong with an X3 and the X Drive of course.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
"Nailing it down between the Q5 and the X3 to relate to your question, the Q5 gave us the impression of driving a big station wagon while the X3 did provide the communication with the road that we expected out of a new vehicle."

This is exactly what did it for me.

I am awaiting delivery of my X3. I test drove the Q5 first, then the X3, then the Q5 again, and finally a more extended test drive of the X3. I have owned two 3 series BMWs (1986 325 sedan, 2000 325 sport wagon), and the X3 felt nearly the same (a good thing), whereas the Q5 was more like the Acura MDX that I have driven recently. The MDX is a very good cruiser, as I would expect the Q5 to be, but the X3 felt like it will be a great cruiser, as well as having a much better feel moving around in traffic, which I have to contend with.

I was also initially frustrated with what seemed to be an artificial constraint on the supply of Q5s (the dealer I went to had half a dozen nearly new Q5 service loaners, but had to look to their delivery pipeline to see what they could offer me), but the test drives convinced me to go to the X3, so the scarcity of the Q5s turned into a moot point.

I am not an "enthusiastic" driver at my age, and was not looking for the performance of the sportier offerings of BMW, Audi, or any of the others. I can't wait to start commuting, etc., with the X3.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
The Q5 was at the top of my list until I drove the X3. I like the Q5 more that all the other vehicles I looked at but once I drove the X3 35i I had no doubts it was the one for me. The X3 just drives better than the rest of the small SUV's I drove. I also didn't like the mesh shade for the moon roof on the Q5. It let in too much light when closed in my opinion.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I agree with everything said in this thread. But wonder why there wasn't any mention of comparing the X3 to the FX35. I'm currently driving the FX and have been for the last 8 years. It's been a great SUV. 3 trips to the intermoutain west (UT,WY,MT) for skiing...the FX really is a great cruiser. And has very good handling. But it can be punishing on the road. Very stiff suspension. I drove the new FX a few days ago. That was what my final selection came down to. FX vs. X3. I had driven about every car on the planet to start my search. I don't think I ever considered the X3 because I couldn't get past the looks. But that was before the model change. Still not high on my "looks" list but it is gowing on me. I parked my FX next to a X3 and realized the two vehicles are almost the same size! The X3 drives much smaller if you know what I mean. I was really impressed with the X3. The 2011 model was really loaded and it had the 35i turbo. That convinced me. I'm ordering a 2012 before the week is out. I'm getting the sport package with 19" all-season's. Hopefully these will make it thru the snowy winter's up in Vermont since I'll be taking it up skiing. I don't want to get a dedicated snow tire/wheel set up. I've done that with my FX for the last 8 years and that would go through anything. I suspect the X3 would do the same but want to see how it handles with the all-season. I heard the FX didn't handle well at all. I had the 20" tires. My snow's were 20" also.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28i
Why did you choose the X3 over the Q5?

Thanks for your comments cadman 50. My 2011 X3 28i is my first ever BMW and I have not been exposed to FX35 so I cannot comment. Looks like you got a lot out of it over the years.

I live in Quebec and having Winter tires is a law. After experiencing snow tires for so many years with the FX35 I am curious to hear about your comments on how you will do with 4 Seasons tires during the Winter with the X3. You seem to do a lot of snow country driving.

I am new to Bimmerfest. Just joined the X3 Group in the hope of sharing experiences relative to the X3 and Winter driving is high on my list.

BUFFY
Old 10-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Buffy I'm in the process of trying to nail down what the dynamic handling package is all about. The literature on-line and in print is not clear. Once I figure that, I'm ordering the X3. hopefully I'll have it before Dec. I'll let you know how it does.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 (wifes car)
I think the X3 is closer to the EX35 in overall measurements. My business partner had an FX35 that I put a few miles on it over the years. It drove very nicely although a little unforgiving on the bumps and expansion joints. The overall design of the EX and FX limit the interior room and you sit very low in both cars. One of te big deciding factors against the Infiniti line was the fact that the 3.5 V6 is one of the best modern designs, it is a thirsty one! I recall that FX35 getting about 15 mpg on the highway.
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The FX35/50 are larger than the X3 which (as stated) is closer to the FX35. The X3 has much more room though. The FX50 is a rocketship, right up there with the X5 V8 and the Cayenne "S" class. The earlier EX35's had the same problem with ride the early X3's had -- a rock hard suspension over rough pavement. Getting the non sport FX helped a bit but later they did change the settings and it does ride much better now. Mileage (at least in the EX) is very dependent on your driving style. Case in point, my nephew gets about 15 mpg when he drives his FX, his wife gets 20 mpg, same car same roads. Very eager cars just begging to put your foot into it. If the styling appeals to you they are wonderful cars.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The FX35/50 are larger than the X3 which (as stated) is closer to the FX35. The X3 has much more room though. The FX50 is a rocketship, right up there with the X5 V8 and the Cayenne "S" class. The earlier EX35's had the same problem with ride the early X3's had -- a rock hard suspension over rough pavement. Getting the non sport FX helped a bit but later they did change the settings and it does ride much better now. Mileage (at least in the EX) is very dependent on your driving style. Case in point, my nephew gets about 15 mpg when he drives his FX, his wife gets 20 mpg, same car same roads. Very eager cars just begging to put your foot into it. If the styling appeals to you they are wonderful cars.
I considered the FX35 but I don't like the new look at all. One of the things that really sold me on the X3 35i was the performance. You get 0-60 times about equal to the FX50 and Cayenne S for a lot less money than those two. Plus I prefer the smaller size of the X3.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:56 PM

I think the fact you sit low in the FX35 is due to the high door's. it gives the impression you sit low. When I first got it, I raised the seat very high because i thought the same thing. But over time I've lowered it quite a bit. I get about 17mpg average mostly back roads driving but I'm in an area that people actually put their brakes ON if they are doing 31 in a 30 mph speed zone. One of the first things I notice about the X3 are the bigger windows and lower top door edge. On one last note, I placed my FX right next to a X3 nose to nose. While the FX was a little longer, it was just as high as the X3 but the FX was wider. I haven't actually looked at the specs of both....i'm just saying what I saw in the parking lot.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:59 PM

oh yeah, the performance and road feel of the X3 is what sold me. the 35i with sport package was great. I found some GREAT GREAT reading on what has been a mystery to me about whether to get the DHP or not and what it actually is. Haven't finished it yet but I do have some questions that will pop up here later.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
The lack of an opaque sunscreen in the Q5 was a deal breaker. My wife is very fair skinned and the Audi dealer said you could order a hardtop and they would install an aftermarket sunroof and it "works just great!" Didn't even need to take a test drive, although I have a feeling the BMW drives better anyway, having given many Audis a fair shot.

The X3 is my third BMW.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehihz View Post
The lack of an opaque sunscreen in the Q5 was a deal breaker. My wife is very fair skinned and the Audi dealer said you could order a hardtop and they would install an aftermarket sunroof and it "works just great!" Didn't even need to take a test drive, although I have a feeling the BMW drives better anyway, having given many Audis a fair shot.

The X3 is my third BMW.
-For the record you could buy the Audi and then have the sunroof tinted. This would block most of the UV light that would bother her skin. She'd get more UV from the front windshield. We ended up having every window on our X3 tinted (ceramic), just to keep out heat. Made a big difference.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
X3 vs. Q5

[QUOTE=cadman50;6389785]I think the fact you sit low in the FX35 is due to the high door's.

The high door's what, exactly?

Arrgh!

Old 12-06-2011, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The high belt line in the FX series makes it seem like you are sitting on the floor. Actually these are quite nice vehicles and very reliable. I feel that the cabin is a bit too claustrophobic for my taste however. I like the large(r) windows in the GLK and the X3.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I just got an X3 35i. If I was picking between the Q5 and a 28i, I might have picked the Audi, but I was hooked when I drove the 35. The Audi is a little nicer inside, but the BMW Is nice enough, especially loaded. I thought the 35 was more fun to drive.
The second, and maybe more important reason, was that the Q5 would not fit in my garage. Too fat.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: Morgan+8, (EvaGT), X3 F25

Last edited by TogMog; 12-27-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM

The comparison charts are available here as well, so is electricity, running water and paved highways.
The whole idea of owners forums are to get a "human" (sometimes biased) opinion on our thinking as to why we bought the BMW over the Audi. If we were not thinking, we probably would have bought a Honda.
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)

Last edited by tyresmoker; 12-06-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 12-06-2011, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: '12 x3 35i
if price is an issue, try running a comparison at truedelta.com
Old 12-06-2011, 03:14 PM

Check out this link

With 3 of 4 wheels on rollers the X3 is the only one that quickly sends power to the 4th wheel. The 3 wheels on the Q5 just spin on the rollers and it never gets free.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
While I did pick the X3, it wasn't because of the superiority of all wheel drive. I think it is accepted that Quattro is the equal or superior to xDrive. I will admit that consensus, can be wrong and I didn't do my test drive in snowy/icy conditions. I also think the best AWD system is probably on my wife's Subaru. I await the insults...
Old 12-07-2011, 05:07 AM

Anyone that would have something negative to say about Subaru's awd system would clearly demonstrate their ignorance. The "new" Outback was on our short list for a period of time. We ruled it out only because it was more car than we needed (DINKS).
Being born and raised in New England, Subaru has been part of the landscape here since I could remember. They offered Awd before most of the schmucks who can't live without it today could even spell it. Most 3 series owners are plenty familiar with the trunk line and tail lights of the WRX.
It seems they finally have gotten their arms around the harmonic vibration in the Outback, an issue that has plagued it since it's introduction in 2010.
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)