Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 735i
89 735i - Troubleshooting electrical problems

Currently battery draining down.
Was told it was an electrical issue by one mechanic, but not sure where to start. Battery is not bad, but unless cable is disconnected after turning car off it will drain down. Where should I begin to start to troubleshoot
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2011, 07:31 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
do you have an amp meter?? you could watch the meter as you pull and replace fuses 1 by 1 until you get the largest drop. then check that circuit.

there's only a gazillion fuse boxes on the e32, so it shouldn't take too long...

you may also wish to check the e32.org site as well. lots more e32 specific info there.

i seem to recall that i had searched similar issues with my e32 and found that one of the modules had a common failure, but darned if i can recall that info now...

i'd try a search on the e32.org site, though.

good luck.

df
Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 735i
Thanks DF. I will keep you posted on the results. If you recall anything else please send it along - SetBMW
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: 745i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetBMW View Post
Currently battery draining down.
Was told it was an electrical issue by one mechanic, but not sure where to start. Battery is not bad, but unless cable is disconnected after turning car off it will drain down. Where should I begin to start to troubleshoot
Just buy 5$ multimeter first!
Then check the current it's eating it should be no more than 0,2 amp when no lights are on and all systems are shut down. If it's 0,5 or more you've got a problem.
Could be anything: short circuited wire rotten wire, light bulb connection,
Etc.... Just try to disconnect all bulbs one by one check if current drops, and sooner or later you'll find where it is. I think it's some bulb wire touching the negative somewhere