Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Lost brake pressure after bleeding brakes

Apparently while bleeding my left front brake after upgrading to SS hoses, the reservoir ran dry and now I have no brake pressure at all. Everything was fine after I finished the right front, but the left front stumped me. Refilled reservoir and continued to bleed left front but never got pressure back.

Do I have to bleed the whole system again?

Which wheel do I start with and how do I know if I got the bubble out?
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcorwin View Post
Apparently while bleeding my left front brake after upgrading to SS hoses, the reservoir ran dry and now I have no brake pressure at all. Everything was fine after I finished the right front, but the left front stumped me. Refilled reservoir and continued to bleed left front but never got pressure back.

Do I have to bleed the whole system again?

Which wheel do I start with and how do I know if I got the bubble out?
Sorry to hear about that, it's a painful mistake. If you let the reservoir run try you will have a massive amount of air in the lines and the brake pedal will go to the floor.

It is a MAJOR pain in the arse if you let the reservoir run dry because now you have air in the TOP/FRONT of the line that you need to bleed all the way down to the caliper. When you install new SS lines you only let a bit of air into the end of the line by the caliper and that is easy to remove.

You will probably need at 2 quarts of brake fluid (or more) to get all the air out. Start over at the right rear, left rear, right front then left front. It is A LOT easier to put the car on jackstands and do all 4 wheels in one shot. If you have issues it is much easier to start over when all 4 wheels are off. Check the reservoir level mid way though each rear wheel.

I would have your helper pump at least 10 to 15 times per rear wheel to ensure you get all the bubbles out. Keep going until you see no bubbles.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 12-12-2011 at 10:28 PM.