Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 09-21-2011, 04:13 AM
m3 evo

Mein Auto: m3 evo
heater problem

hey guys, i'm new to the site, i just need a bit of help.

i have a 99 m3 evo and my heater only blows cold air, i have taken out the heater control valve and cleaned it as best i could. but i noticed that when i took it off there was no water coming out of the pipe either inlet or outlet, is this normal? i had a friend check my thermostat and he siad it open and closed properly.

as my car has no bleeding screw there seems to be no way of bleeding the cooling system.

also my aux fan is not coming on, but i think that is probably a different issue.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 09-23-2011, 07:40 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
No that is not normal. There should be coolant up to the heater valve. You didn't say but most US 3.2L will tend to overheat when they have air in the system. The best way to get air out is to have the front end higher than the rear end so that air can travel to the overflow tank and out the radiator. Did you happen to refill or change something in the cooling system recently?
The US engines, all of the 6 cylinder versions of the E36 all hold air in the system until extracted.
I have found for the US version having the front end elevated and removing the top radiator hose and slowly filling the head is the best way to purge this air out. It sometimes takes 3-4 tries after this to get the air out.
I am not familiar with the Euro head but for the US head this works....
Old 10-06-2011, 03:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M3
Had the same problem almost last year, went away by itself for some weird reason
Old 10-06-2011, 04:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M3 sc
SSince you said EVO, I'll assume you aren't in the USA. The Euro engines, (S50b30 and the S50b32) both have a self bleeding cooling system. Notice the big tank up near the firewall? (passenger side on USA cars) See http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...on_tank_frame/.

You probem is probably the water valve. http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3...ve_water_hose/ part #1. I'm assumong the fan clows air, just no heat...
Old 12-14-2011, 02:41 PM
m3 evo

Mein Auto: m3 evo
thanks guys. i got it sorted. turns out that the heater control valve was completly dead and not letting coolant flow around the system. which lead to the no heat from the blow and the engine overheating. got a new heater control valve( very pricey ). thanks for ur help.