Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Arrow +60HP w/ + 7mpg > from this $69. chip

Has anyone used this chip from this CA co. that guarantees 60 more ponies with 4-7 mpg. better for only &69., now?

http://www.gfchips.com/bmwm3.aspx
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: SG E92 M3
saw someone who bought one of these for his acura and took it apart to see what was in it, here's what he found:

i doubt a 4.7Kohm resistor is good for 60hp and increased fuel efficiency
Old 12-13-2011, 06:30 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
You forgot to mention elimination of the warranty on a $20k engine as a "feature" ...
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series M3
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
You forgot to mention elimination of the warranty on a $20k engine as a "feature" ...
Read the website...the co. said it does not VOID the warranty because it does not require intrusive installation or messing with the ECU?

Just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about these
I WOULD NEVER ADD ANY MOD THAT IS NOT PROVEN & USED BY MANY
Old 12-14-2011, 03:22 PM
First Timer

Mein Auto: Me: M3; Her: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16n69 View Post
Read the website...the co. said it does not VOID the warranty because it does not require intrusive installation or messing with the ECU?
First of all, I don't think it's possible to get another 60hp and 7mpg from this engine via only a chip.

However, if it is, I'm VERY confident your warranty is OVER the minute you do it (assuming you can't commit fraud and hide it later).

To increase hp is to increase stress and heat. Similarly, to increase mileage in the same engine, is to increase heat, since you'll have to run leaner under part throttle uses, to achieve that savings.

I'd expect you could install a cold air intake, and maybe new mufflers without risking your warranty. But to alter the software that operates the engine - yea, you're at GREAT risk of losing your warranty on the engine.

The claims of the chip supplier are irrelevant, and predictable.
I just love how a 4 year old car/design is STILL the benchmark which other automakers aspire to reach. Still winning comparisons . Still very much in the conversation. Is the E9x M3 a legend? You bet your @ss it is.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Cv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
First of all, I don't think it's possible to get another 60hp and 7mpg from this engine via only a chip.

However, if it is, I'm VERY confident your warranty is OVER the minute you do it (assuming you can't commit fraud and hide it later).

To increase hp is to increase stress and heat. Similarly, to increase mileage in the same engine, is to increase heat, since you'll have to run leaner under part throttle uses, to achieve that savings.

I'd expect you could install a cold air intake, and maybe new mufflers without risking your warranty. But to alter the software that operates the engine - yea, you're at GREAT risk of losing your warranty on the engine.

The claims of the chip supplier are irrelevant, and predictable.
To amplify;

The German Big Three are loaded with engineers with really thick glasses who sit around with calibrated dynos and test tracks and drivers who can put down really reproducible lap times

They have worked with all the size. shape and length intakes and exhausts, different throttle curves and compression ratios you can image and more.

While they may have goals slightly divergent than yours in the sense that they want reliability and reproducibility as well as have some mandated issues with noise and emissions, the bottom line is no posse of wiseguys with a CNC or a CAD/CAM program in a garage somewhere are going to come up with a solution that will inexpensively increase power output by any appreciable amount.

A good rule of thumb from my experience is that you need at least 15% more HP or TQ to truly feel any difference. And if you really want to go faster, bring your money Howitzer. All else is foma.

Last edited by allegretto; 12-14-2011 at 05:05 PM.