Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E92 335d
135i (E82) or 328i (F30)?

Guys,

I'm selling my 123d coupe (2011) and getting one of the above. The main improvement I want over the 123d is a faster/better engine, as I had a 335d coupe before, and really miss the extra power, responsiveness and refinement of the 3litre 6-cylinder.

It will be a lease for 4 years, so I won't have another car before the lease ends, so I want to make sure I make the right decision.

The new 1 (2?) Series coupe is likely to be 18 months - 3 years away, and I like the coupe body style much more than the hatchback, so the 135i is the only 1 Series I would have (i.e. not the new F20). However, seeing the updated design of the new F30 3 Series saloon, along with the vastly improved interior and new options, is making me wonder if I should really be committing 480/month for 4 years on a last generation model, when I could have a bigger/more practical car that's brand new (the 328i), for exactly the same money (albeit a much more common sight, and with arguably less character).

Regarding the engine, I know the new 328i is actually a 2-litre 4 cylinder, but by all accounts, it's almost indistinguishable from a 6-cylinder in terms of smoothness and refinement, and has a good bit more power than the 123d. The disadvantage of going this route would be that the engine and auto box won't be as good as the 135i with the DCT; but the advantage is the new interior, arguably nicer looks (particularly from the front), and new features inc. the standard iDrive which I like the look of. It'll be a nicer place to be, but perhaps not as nice to actually drive as the 135i, in the 10% of driving when you actually get to properly drive.

On the other hand, I'm drawn to the 135i as being a more purist "driver's car", with the uprated brakes, suspension, hydraulic steering, and that fantastic engine and auto transmission; which are the only things I miss from the 335d (if the new F20/F30 hadn't come along, I would have bought a 135i already).

If the 328i wasn't a big step up in performance and responsiveness from the 123d, this would put me off it; but if there's little to choose between the 2 cars in terms of power, it would be a difficult decision.

Any advice appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
It's my opinion, after having owned three 6 Series cars, including an M6, and now a 7Series and a 135i, that BMW developed the 1 Series cars for people who enjoy driving. I would say that the 135 is the performance car of this series. IMO, right now, the 135i is one of the best cars BMW produces.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the reply; considering the cars you've had previously, that's good praise indeed!

I am leaning towards the 135i, though I do have a slight reservation: when I test drove it a few weeks ago (with DCT), I found it didn't actually feel as fast as my 335d. On paper it's considerably faster, particularly with the DCT; so would you say that all the torque in the 335d just made it feel faster when it actually wasn't, and that the 135i really is as lightening quick as everyone says in all real world situations (and quicker than the 335d in all situations)? What I don't want is a car that needs to be revved to get the power out of it; as when I test drove the 135i it felt as though there was some delay when I kicked-down to overtake, and the real power gradually started coming in a bit higher up the rev range. This was in complete contrast to the 335d, which absolutely shifted regardless of what gear you were in, or the revs, with the slightest press of the accelerator, and with no delay; and it seemed to be more effortless?

Re. 135i vs 328i, I guess it comes down to whether I want the fancy a new interior and options, and to know I have the very latest BMW; or if I want the best driver's car I guess, with a better/faster engine. Obviously to have both would be best (assuming they don't mess up the 235i or whatever it will be), but considering that isn't available now, I think - considering that's what a BMW is about - that I'd be stupid not to get the 135i. The only thing lacking from the 335d (compared to the 123d) is the power, refinement and control; I never wanted a new interior or extra options until they were brought to my attention, so I guess that says it all...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Note the comparison of the 135i with the M3...the 135i is VERY close in performance.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 12-08-2011, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslierc View Post
It's my opinion, after having owned three 6 Series cars, including an M6, and now a 7Series and a 135i, that BMW developed the 1 Series cars for people who enjoy driving. I would say that the 135 is the performance car of this series. IMO, right now, the 135i is one of the best cars BMW produces.

I agree having owned quite a few BMW's from 325's, M3, 635CSI, 530i, 745il's IMO right now the 135i is one of the best.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:21 AM

Thanks for the replies; there's so much praise for the 135i absolutely everywhere - even including good old Jeremy Clarkson - that it looks like any doubts I have are unfounded!

Granted, for the effortlessness (all that torque I guess) and fuel economy I'd take a 135d if they made one; but I will gladly trade these for the sound of the 135i and the DCT, and it will be nice to get back into a petrol car again (last one was a MINI Cooper S Works 3 years ago).

I'm trying to book an extended test drive of the 135i today, just so I can get a good feel for the engine, so I will let you know how it goes.

I'm sure the 135i will be the one, after some more research last night I've completely ditched the 3 Series idea!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 135I
I took delivery of a 135ic in late November. The car has exceeded every expectation. There are days I come home from work and just go for a drive just for the pure joy it brings me. (I drive the X-Terra and the wife drives the 135ic)
Old 12-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i DCT
The E90? No. Definitely get the "old" 135i. It's the closest you can get to back-to-basics BMW styling and a blistering flat six N55. If you can't drive a standard, the DCT is an absolute must, and it's a damn miracle they put it on the 1. It's addicting.

The 335i is just bigger, heavier, and drives more like a Tempur-Pedic torpedo. The X-drive is really nice to have. It has more room. A better experience for other passengers. It's spectacle. Which is kinda what I don't like about the 3.

If you want quite tanks (that handles well), get a 3. If you want a balls-out sport car (but can't really afford one) get the 1.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I really like the 135. I had an '08 vert. I also had a '09 328 vert which I didn't like because of the auto tran and not enough hp for a heavy car. People like the 328 with stick. The DCT is great which I have in my 335is.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 12-17-2011, 02:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 123d coupe
Interesting. I just picked up a new 123d coupe.

My spousal unit has a 2008 328. I realize it has a different engine than what you are thinking, but to tell the truth, I like the 123d a lot more than the 328. Mainly, the 328 is just too big and soft for me. And I would rate the 123d engine as about the equivalent of the 328s 6 cyl. Less HP, but more torque.

So for me it would be a very easy choice to get the 135 or M1.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Obviously as you can tell by my signature I'm a little biased having just got my 135i with DCT. After several BMW's I can say the 135i is the most fun I've owned, and in terms of absolute feel very close to the M3's I test drove. I couldn't be happier with the car... except that I got better gas mileage from both my 330i AND my 545i... but I probably need to just keep my foot out of the go-pedal

The problem with the DCT is that in its default mode it IS very "lazy". It changes gear in a way that emulates an auto, which means long, lazy shifts between gears. In order to really get the best out of a DCT you need to first push the "Sport" button (which you can only do when the car is in drive), then flip the shifter over to the left (on US cars... not sure if it's the same on UK cars) which puts it in what amounts to "sport +" mode. Then before you move off (I'm presuming you do all this as soon as you get ready to move off, but haven't yet) hit the left paddle or push the shifter forward. That puts the car in full manual mode which means you MUST manually change gears. You can rev it to redline and it'll hold it in this mode.

How does that help? Well, it starts good habits. It starts you thinking about shifting before making a move, and allows you to be more controlled in your driving habits. Just like a manual transmission, before you try to pass another vehicle you should first downshift a gear or two (or three) and then that gets the revs up and primes the turbo... then you can fly past other traffic. The "Sport" button enables the rifle-bolt shifts that the DCT is capable of, and the manual mode takes all the guesswork out of the drive for the DCT's computer... as in it's not trying to guess what you're going to do next, just take commands.

Without putting the car in full manual mode, you can downshift with the paddles or the shifter. But after a few seconds it will switch back to "automatic" mode. I prefer to just drive my car in full manual mode all the time because it appeals to me and I get to drive it more like my previous manual cars.

Hope this helps!
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net