BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2002 540 transmission failsafe

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bluebee 
#1 ·
I have seen a lot of correspondence regarding this problem on this web site. I first noticed my problem after an electronic throttle body was replaced to address engine failure mode. Anyone have any thoughts if this repair may have had any bearing on transmission fail safe showing up? Car transmission was fine up until that point. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Transmission has about 170k miles.

Thanks

#2 ·
It seems more than half the time the Trans Prog Failsafe warning is triggered by other reasons. Are you in default mode (3d gear only?) If you are NOT in default mode, the warning light has probably been triggered by a sensor (i.e. ABS) malfunction or an electrical (i.e. alternator) problem. Who did the work on the throttle body? If it was a shop, have them clear the code and see if it returns. If you did the work, you'll need to find a shop with a GT-1 or equivalent code reader to clear the code for you. If the warning returns, you may have a tranny problem. But check the other possible causes first.

#4 ·
That's a bit more info. You should be able to tell if you are in 3d gear only. The car becomes almost unbearable to drive (very slow off the line, cannot exceed 40 mph, etc.). If this is the third or fourth time it has happened, how did it reset itself? If the mechanic is certified, have him reset it for you. Repetitive tripping of this warning and self resets suggests something else (alternator or sensor) is triggering this issue. However, you may actually have a tranny problem. May be time to see a qualified indy (although I know what stealer wiill say: you need a new tranny).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.