Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to denimcowboy
Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Angry Engine belt broke

I have an 1992 525i, my car was overheating and i didn't know because the antifreeze and everything was fine, the steering locked up and i got the car to my house in one piece.
then realized the belt broke for the fan i guess? so I am just wondering did i permanently mess up my steering or anything else from it overheating? and what are some cheap sites to buy a new belt, any help would be greatly appreicated! thank you!
Ads by Google
Old 12-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 95' 540ia-orient Blue
How bad was it overheating, like redlined for 20 miles or slightly higher then normal for a few miles? Good chacne if it was not long that it did not cause any serious damage. You can try rockauto.com for a belt or even FCPgroton.com

Owned/own:
1995 M3-cosmos black(E36)
1998 528I-schwartz black(E39)
1999 328IS-steel blue(E36)
1995 540IA-orient blue(E34) 5/6 speed swap soon.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 PM

as soon as i turned on my street my dash said check coolant and i looked at the gauge and it was redlining and i didn't notice anything going wrong driving home so I hope its ok, and i will check out them websites now thank you very much!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
fill with straight water and take it round the block a few times and get the car warm. then turn it off and have a look in the water and see if it is still water or if there is now oil in there as well and let us knwo

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 12-07-2011, 05:39 PM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
Because the the belt broke .The fan stopped pulling air through the radiator and the water pump stopped circulating coolant. The engine over heated. You are probably ok if you did not drive more than 2 miles at high temp. make sure the fan clutch is still working good .Newspaper roll test the fan clucth..ebay has 12$ serp belt. Other parts places will be near 20$. Make sure you understand how to relive tension on the pulley and that you weave the belt according to Bentleys manual.I would add 1 bottle Red Line water wetter, super coolant as preventive maint.

Last edited by luckydog; 12-07-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:27 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
yes thats the trouble with the BMW design, the coolant temp sensor is away from the block and doesnt reflect the temperature there were it matters in these situations

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 12-09-2011, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: E39 530i
My first car was a 91' 525iA, I drove it while it was overheating one day, like for 45 minutes while it overheated/dropped back to normal/overheating... cylinder head had a crack in it after that. Don't laugh, I was 17 in Germany with a provisional driver's permit allowing me to only drive from home to school or work, not even driving to school or work, I had no clue you had to shut the engine off if it starts overheating lol.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:02 PM

hey guys i really appreciate the insight, but there has been a twist in the plot, I finally got around to looking at it again and the belt didn't break it just fell off because my water pumpwas loose. bearing (i think) are blown.
Do you guys think i have to replace the water pump? thanks!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 525, 1991 535
first do a compression check to make sure your head gasket has not failed. then if ok replace water pump, timing belt, thermostat, and backflush the radiotor. you should be good to go. if only driven a short time while it was getting hot you probably are all right with head gasket. check oil to see if there is coolant in it and check coolant to see if there is oil in it. if no to both you might be lucky.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:14 PM

Ok I will get on that as soon as possible, thank you so much!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:41 AM
Founder @ Maintenr

Mein Auto: 1995 540I/6
OP,

Do an oil change and look for metal shavings. I'm not sure why your coolant low light came on if the belt just snapped? Check for coolant leaks / pressurise cooling system. Check and replace your spark plugs and inspect them for damage.

This is a good time to inspect your water pump and pulleys for seizing (that might have caused your belt to freeze and snap). Also check your fan clutch.

http://www.e34addicts.com/Water_Pump

http://www.e34addicts.com/Inspecting_Pulleys

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
..ebay has 12$ serp belt..
I do not suggest buying belts on Ebay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunmort View Post
first do a compression check to make sure your head gasket has not failed. then if ok replace water pump, timing belt, thermostat, and backflush the radiotor. you should be good to go. if only driven a short time while it was getting hot you probably are all right with head gasket. check oil to see if there is coolant in it and check coolant to see if there is oil in it. if no to both you might be lucky.
Don't throw money at parts, inspect them first before replacing them.

///////////////////////////////////////////// E34 Addicts

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.