Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 128i Convertible
I only have a Droid - Help

My Salesman led me to believe that my Droid would be able to upload its music to the hard drive on my iDrive equipped 128i cvtbl. I bought most options I have the nav. I have usb connection in the glove box. I have usb under the arm rest. But when I plug my doid in, neither reads the droid. Basically I can't either play my music or upload the mp3 files off it.

I want to know is there anything I can do besides buying an iPod?

I know I can play from the phone through Aux relatively cheaply. But I would like my music even when I do not have the phone with me ... so I want to put the mp3s which are on the phone (or on my laptop for that matter) on the car's hard drive.

Next question will be about Audible format ... I assume the car doesnt now nor will it any time soon be able to listed to Audible recorded books. Si I assume I will always have to use aux input under the armrest...?
Ads by Google
Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Well, the salesman may be right; most Android phones should work fine. However, some carriers (Sprint and Verizon are notorious for this) will have disabled the ability for the phone to act as a USB stick effectively. I know there are some compatibility issues with this, though I personally have not encountered the one you're having.

As for the music itself, I'd actually suggest copying it to a USB stick and either play directly from there or copy to the hard drive. You can get some high capacity sticks pretty cheaply... though I don't know how big a stick works with the iDrive I have heard some rumours over on 1addicts that 64GB sticks work.

Finally, Audible. I feel your pain because I love audio books and that's most of the reading I get done these days (during my commute). I suspect that it won't work but it's worth a shot. Even if it does though you may not be able to bookmark it... as in stop listening then continue on in the same place later. I am really not sure if iDrive supports it.

However, there's an alternative; pick up a cheap iPod and use that for Audible books. Yeah, I know it's imperfect but I think it should work great. Although I run an iPhone today I am probably switching to Android real soon. I have an old first get iPod Nano (4GB) that I plan to stick all my Audible and iTunes store songs on (yeah, I have a few) then pretty much just leave that in the car. The rest of my music I'll put on the hard drive or run from USB stick.

HTH.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 09-08-2011, 06:50 AM

Hi, thanks for that informative reply.

I am going to Verizon today to discuss the new Droid Bionic and to ask if this will have similar problems.

Do you think that iDrive is the kind of thing that gets updated firmware over the life of the car? It would be nice if Audible and iDrive got together!

Lastly, there are a *LOT* of road closures around the northeast usa due to flooding of late. Any idea whether the NAV system is reliable enough to pick up on that?
Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: e90 328i
Re: nav picking up road closure - the nav system picks up Realtime Traffic Data through sat radtio. It depends on whether Sirius send out closure info or not.

I share your frustration about Android integraton. My 2012 128i includes $250 iPhone BMW App which I never use...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer
Old 10-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Well since I am in need of a new phone soon, maybe the iPhone 5 will be worth getting since I can probably use it in the BMW with no issues. Half the world seems to be addicted to iPhone, there must be something good about it. Goodness knows I hate the picture taking feature and picture viewing features of the phone I have now.

I did try putting all the tunes on a stick ... and then found that the blasted thing refused to recognize the folder structure, only files directly saved to the stick. So that means no album order (Some tracks are just named Track 01) and I would have to spend heaps of time unpacking all the mp3s from the folders they are stored in and save them directly to the drive. No time for that. I just play through my phone and aux input and it's good enough. To use that slot where the usb and the nav are integrated in the glove box - forgettabout it, way outta reach for a driver. Not that I am even sure it would work. Not sure what is is for, maybe to update nav software.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Well, I just switched away from the iPhone because I got sick of the closed and infuriating platform that worked but never really felt like it was mine. Apple treats its customers like you're renting the iPhone and that they own it. On the flip-side, I got myself a Motorola Atrix and couldn't be happier with the hackability and general awesomeness of the phone.

Honestly, for the best of both worlds I'd just buy an iPod Touch and enable tethering on your cellphone. That way when you're in the car you can make use of the "Connected" features through the wifi to your phone, and make the best of the iPod as your music player. Already planning to do exactly that with my SIMless iPhone once I get my 135i

I hate the fact that BMW is in bed with Apple on this one, but in a way I do understand. As you said it's a platform to which the world appears to be addicted... but I for one seem to be somewhat immune to its charms as I have become an ex iPhone user.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 135i
Good day. I too am having issues with my Android connecting to anything. I recently bought a 135i after the salesman said "Oh yeah, any phone works with BMW even androids." What he left out was all the things that it doesn't work with. My phone works regarding Blue Tooth phone calls and we FINALLY got it to stream music via blue tooth. As for downloading music to the hard drive, USB port, or using BMW apps... no bueno.

RUMER MILL: I stopped by a dealership to check into the BMW docking stations for BMW APPS (Which is stupid that you pay $250. for BMW apps but you still have to buy the $400. docking station to use it...). Anyway, a guy was talking to me about the android possibly having a dock for the consol in possibly the near future, at least maybe an update to allow it to sync and download music to the hard drive. Again I'm not sure where he's getting his information, I couldn't find any articles on it, but the fact that he works at BMW, he may have insider information?

I don't plan on buying an IPhone so I will continue to stream music.

Another recommendation is to buy some CDs and just move them from CDs to your hard drive?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to amancuso
Mein Auto: 128i, 330i, Z3 2.3, R56
I have an iPhone, but find it annoying to plug/unplug it everytime i get in and out of the car. I ended up buying a usb memory stick to put all my music on. Works flawlessly and stays in the car.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: nissan sentra
Smile Another idea

I hook up my Android phone up to the aux input and use Pandora in the car. Unlimited data plan is great to have for this.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 128i
Thumbs up Audio problem with Android phones to AUX jack - The SOLUTION!!

Hi all~
I have been searching Forums and asking friends, dealerships and pretty much anyone I can think of about the issue with connecting my Droid Incredible to my 128i. It was only working with an iPhone...and I do not want to be held captive by the iPhone.

In any event, the solution!!

The AUX cable I was using has only two rings on it (AUX cables have two or three black rings around the tip opf the jack). I discussed this with one of my "Technology Doctor" friends and he recommended I try the three ring AUX cable. It worked wonderfully!!

I was very pleased plugging in my Droid and hearing the sweet sounds of Marvin Gaye blasting out of my speakers!! Works for my Google Maps as well, pretty much evrything!!

I hope you find this information helpful.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:15 AM

Since this thread re-appeared from the depths... here's how I finally solved the issue for myself and my 135i I picked up last month.

I have an iPhone 3GS, which has now been relegated to "iPod Duty". It's in a snap-in adapter in my center console and pretty much stays there all the time with the Connected app running. On my Atrix I have Tasker with a pair of rules. One says that when the Bluetooth is connected in my car (since I have it paired with my BMW) it sets a variable called "%InMyCar". Another rule detects when it's plugged into any power source (in my case, the USB port under the center console, and if "%InMyCar" is set to "1" then it automatically enables the tethering (Mobile Hotspot). I do that so that it doesn't kill my battery every time I'm in the car.

My iPhone has WiFi switched on, and when it finds the "MB860AP" access point, it connects with the saved password. As a result, I can still leverage all the BMW Apps functionality while having my now much-loved Android phone. Plus as a bonus with iOS 5 I can now sync across my home WiFi when my car is the garage so if I want to sync I just need to remember to hit the "Sync" button on my iPhone after parking the car and since my iTunes computer is always on the network it just does what it needs to. No unplugging and plugging in. Plus, my car seems to stay on long enough to complete the sync about 4 times out of 5.

It took a bit of geekiness to figure all this out, but now that I have I just love this setup. It works great, and has the added advantage that if I'm on a road-trip then my girlfriend can bring along her laptop (with MB860AP saved), and my son can borrow my tablet and that can keep both of them amused.

You can pick up a 16GB 3GS relatively cheap these days used... so long as you don't worry too much about whether it's locked to AT&T or not. Since I just removed the SIM anyway it doesn't matter to me. Bonus... I have a spare phone if I drop my Atrix in my beer. Ahem... yeah... that hasn't happened...

Last edited by thumper_330; 12-21-2011 at 11:20 AM.