Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Help!

Is there ANYBODY here that REALLY knows what they are talking about!!!!! I've been taking advice from people here that just keep GUESSING at MY EXPENSE!!! I've sunk over $1,000.00 into my car this year WITHOUT fixing ANY of the problems!!! I'm PRETY PISSED RIGHT NOW!!!!!

This last IGNORANT GUESS by everyone is...My heater and defroster motor quit working...Then it started working again. It's been some time and just died again a couple weeks ago. I asked people what would do that and everyone hopped on the bandwagon saying it is the blower motor. Some said the FSU. I called BavAuto and they said the blower motor. NOBODY seems to know how to TEST the DAMN THING!!!!!! SO...I ordered one and it came in...DEFECTIVE!!! I ordered another...Just got it in...ALSO DEFECTIVE ( the mounts are spotwelded on crooked) I was finally able to get one in and put everything back together, turned it on and it worked for about 45 seconds and stopped!!!!!!! I"M F'ING PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the Hell could be the problem!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 PM

Mein Auto: 530
Wow! You get a bad part and attack people on the board who were genuinely trying to help and who used their valuable time to do so. Perhaps you need another source of advice. I'm guessing that it might be a bit sparse here in the future.

Good luck
Old 12-21-2011, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
Stick to BMW FSU.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes530 View Post
Wow! You get a bad part and attack people on the board who were genuinely trying to help and who used their valuable time to do so. Perhaps you need another source of advice. I'm guessing that it might be a bit sparse here in the future.

Good luck
I don't thing Wasting $1,000.00 was helping...thank you very much
Old 12-21-2011, 04:12 PM

CN90...Is there a way to TEST it as I DON'T want to throw anymore money out the window buying parts on a guess...
Old 12-21-2011, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: '01 540i6, '94 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBrods View Post
CN90...Is there a way to TEST it as I DON'T want to throw anymore money out the window buying parts on a guess...
You can test the blower itself by just hooking it up to a 12v battery. FSU is a very common failure point however I don't know of a way to really test it on it's own. Just the symptoms. And as he said stick to OEM. People have had a lot of issues with after market.

2001 540i - Orient Blue

M5 bumpers, wheels, mirrors
S/C, water/air IC
A1 Headers, Random Technology Cats, Eissenmann Exhaust
3.15 diff, evosport power pullies
Koni Sports, Eibach Springs/Sway Bars
Old 12-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Yeah well you get what you paid for - I don't think anyone would suggest that people trying to diagnose your car via the internet would ever be a substitute for a decent mechanic, or an owner knew what they were doing...
Old 12-21-2011, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: '01 540i6, '94 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ BMW View Post
Yeah well you get what you paid for - I don't think anyone would suggest that people trying to diagnose your car via the internet would ever be a substitute for a decent mechanic, or an owner knew what they were doing...
Agreed. People on here give their experiences which is certainly something. But every car is different you need to take the advice and figure it your yourself.

2001 540i - Orient Blue

M5 bumpers, wheels, mirrors
S/C, water/air IC
A1 Headers, Random Technology Cats, Eissenmann Exhaust
3.15 diff, evosport power pullies
Koni Sports, Eibach Springs/Sway Bars
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 PM
GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 525i
stop cryin'..............if you cannot afford to fix it, then do not buy it.....meaning, if you cannot take it to a certified BMW dealer to get it professionally diagnosed, Then do not try to take advise from people over the internet. Granted, there are many of us that know how to troubleshoot problems, but it is extremely hard to correctly diagnose anything electrical without "hands on" testing.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540i
What?

I've been reading this board for some time and cannot remember seing anything so rediculous. You guys are awesome for being so controlled in your good natured responses.

Merry Christmas to you!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
People suggested all sorts of repairs when I was having surges at stoplights and rough starts only when warm. Some repairs would have been extremely expensive.Not 1 poster suggested the correct solution, which ended up being the coolant temperature sensor, a $20 part plus an hour of labor from the mechanic. But there is no 'blame' to the other posters, in fact I thank them for their time spent trying to help me!

The OP is projecting anger and probably will realize once he cools down. No problem, we've all been horribly frustrated before. I have wanted to punch walls and throw stuff countless times working on the car or my computer. Take a deep breath and crack a beer.

Take brica's advice and as always, stick with OEM parts except when they've been vetted by this forum.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEP_WALKER View Post
stop cryin'..............if you cannot afford to fix it, then do not buy it.....meaning, if you cannot take it to a certified BMW dealer to get it professionally diagnosed, Then do not try to take advise from people over the internet. Granted, there are many of us that know how to troubleshoot problems, but it is extremely hard to correctly diagnose anything electrical without "hands on" testing.
I'm not crying..I'm spitting on YOUR stupidity...
Old 12-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayP View Post
...You guys are awesome for being so controlled in your good natured responses.

Merry Christmas to you!
I agree. The responses are an admirable display of restraint.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:31 PM

That's what I mean...You say something and you get DIM wits like Sleep Walker that comes back with something STUPID like DUH...if you can't aford it don't buy a BMW yuk yuk yuk....Ya, sorry I don't make millions off of food stamps like you
Old 12-21-2011, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i SP/PP
Buy a Civic

/thread
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdmac View Post
I agree. The responses are an admirable display of restraint.
Yes, Most are...and I thank them...I'm very mechanically inclined but not electrically and the economy has put a hurting on me and I can't afford to pay for someone to do my electrical work right now and as for not owning a BMW...well, it would cost a little more to get rid of it and buy another vehicle right now so that's out of the question also.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
People suggested all sorts of repairs when I was having surges at stoplights and rough starts only when warm. Some repairs would have been extremely expensive.Not 1 poster suggested the correct solution, which ended up being the coolant temperature sensor, a $20 part plus an hour of labor from the mechanic. But there is no 'blame' to the other posters, in fact I thank them for their time spent trying to help me!

The OP is projecting anger and probably will realize once he cools down. No problem, we've all been horribly frustrated before. I have wanted to punch walls and throw stuff countless times working on the car or my computer. Take a deep breath and crack a beer.

Take brica's advice and as always, stick with OEM parts except when they've been vetted by this forum.
Very true...but I was going to get an FSU and was told by Bav Auto also that it would be the blower. I ended up getting a blower and it WAS OEM...It was a BEHR...but I guess BEHR is now made in China as the first 2 are defective. I've completely torn the entire dash apart 3 times and have already lost over $60.00 in cab fare going back and forth to work because of the defects on ly to find out it's NOT the blower...Upset? Ya, just a little!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
I have been reading and posting here for a while and also find that there is a lot of bum info given.
You can test the blower by unplugging the connector on the FSU and jumping a few pins together, this will make the blower run at full speed.

FSU connector pinout is this:
Pin 1 to blower motor
Pin 2 to 12 volts
Pin 3 to 0-5 VDC (this is the speed control input from the HVAC panel)
Pin 4 to ground
Pin 5 to blower motor

If you jump pin 1 and 2 together and also pins 4 and 5 together the motor will run if it is good.
Just make sure you don't touch pin 3.
You don't need to have the key on to check the blower motor, 12 volts is always at the FSU connector.

If you need more help, PM me.
Your old motor can also be tested.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
your fault, not ours....

[QUOTE=PBrods;6515859]I'm not crying..I'm spitting on YOUR stupidity...[
Why is it our fault your car is messed up? maybe your poor problem descriptions lead to a wrong solution?

Take your car to the dealer and ask them to fix it if you want a sure thing.

DO NOT soil yourself and go on a pissing rant over the people here who do nothing but try to help other BMW owners.

Why did you just order the part without looking into it yourself?
I wouldnt just take anyones word for it.

Were all here to receive and share advice and information, Mis information can be produced. Its YOUR job to check the info you receive here and make sure its correct. before YOU order YOUR product for YOUR car with YOUR money... seems like common sense

BTW its your muffler bearings that are causing your heater to not work.

and check your blinker fluid levels as well while your at it

Cheers-
Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6, '90 BMW k75s
JimLev, I read back through the OP's earlier posts, and you had suggested earlier that he check out the FSU. Somehow, BavAuto apparently convinced him to get a new blower, which he was unhappy with. It sounds like this is a continuation of that problem, and it makes me think his anger is misdirected. Of course, judging from the totality of his posts, it sounds like he has plenty of anger to go around. By the way, I found no advice in any thread that should have resulted in his sinking "over $1,000" into his car.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nline6 View Post
BTW its your muffler bearings that are causing your heater to not work.

and check your blinker fluid levels as well while your at it

Cheers-

Is that something you fell for moron...lol Just proves my theory there are MORONS on here...DUH...I'm Nline6 and I'm a MORON
Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: DINAN 540
Quote:
I'm not crying..I'm spitting on YOUR stupidity...
With that $1,000 you spent buying parts that did'nt work you could have spent $99 at the dealership for proper diagnostics. Your problem would be solved, and you could have saved some money. So don't spit on our helpful advice spit on your bad choices.
Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,

Mein Auto: 2003 530 Sport Twins
so let call this thread ...

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers-

Last edited by champaign777; 12-21-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Bobmac, I should have also put blame on BavAuto too, they know that the FSU failures are plentyful. I'm on my 3rd FSU, never had to do anything with the blower motor.
I wonder if they are pushing high price parts over low price parts knowing that after putting in a blower motor the custom won't want to take it out to return it.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Mein Auto: DINAN 540
Quote:
Is that something you fell for moron...lol Just proves my theory there are MORONS on here...DUH...I'm Nline6 and I'm a MORON
If you are going to attack people on this forum that spend their valuable time giving advice from their own experience, delete your account and sell your BMW. Problem solved
Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,
Closed Thread