Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 12-20-2011, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: Car
BMW Navigation .... sucks?

I did not have navigation in my previous car (an E46 M3). In my household, my wife's honda accord was the only vehicle with navigation. In her car, we have not once in 6 years of ownership had an issue with the navigation routing us to the wrong place. I've had the 535 for about 3 weeks now, and it has mis-guided me at least a handful of times. It has pointed me in the wrong direction many times, including wrong corners, wrong streets, wrong TOWNS. This morning I made sure the building number, street, city, state, were all input correctly, and notwithstanding that, I was routed to the wrong town.

Did I miss a memo on BMW navigation or is it really this terrible?

Last edited by malat; 12-20-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2011, 03:35 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
It is this bad and I can only hope you got it for free.

Search the forum if you like as there are several threads on how bad.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
You may have an issue with the system.

I have never been routed to the wrong town with any BMW nav.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
Wrong town? I wouldn't be surprised if it took you to the wrong planet! It does suck, big time. You cannot compare this Navigator to a Honda Navigator, it's not fair - it's like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes

Last edited by 1HOT BMR; 12-20-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Wrong town? I wouldn't be surprised if it took you to the wrong planet! It does suck, big time. You cannot compare this Navigator to a Honda Navigator, it's not fair - it's like comparing a Yugo to a Mercedes
My experience is vastly different. Is the Nav perfect? No. Not all POI's show up and I don't always find what I am looking for searching. But every time I have entered an address I got there.

I usually send addresses from google maps, or my contacts and it works like a charm.

I am not sure how people can have such a different experience with the same system.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 528i
"If possible make an illegal U-turn on the next intersection..."
Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: MB E500 4matic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
My experience is vastly different. Is the Nav perfect? No. Not all POI's show up and I don't always find what I am looking for searching. But every time I have entered an address I got there.

I usually send addresses from google maps, or my contacts and it works like a charm.

I am not sure how people can have such a different experience with the same system.
+1....i use it w/ Google Maps all the time and find it fairly accurate, definately have not had the same experience as the OP and i'm in the same state...

Aceman
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
Hell -- no kidding. I have been spoiled by my wife's honda. It does exactly what it's supposed to do all the time. Down to finding the location on the correct corner and the correct side of the street. My BMW navigation experience has been horrible finding even the simplest of locations. I had to pull out my iphone this morning in the car to get to the right location. Crap, this sucks.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi
Well, my experience with the nav has been so-so. Not a fan of it when it took me down a one way street downtown Miami... and I was driving in the wrong direction. I was thankful that it was rather late at night and traffic was sparse.
2012 535xi Dark Graphite Metallic II | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | Anthracite Wood Trim | Premium Pkg | Sport Pkg | Sport Auto Trans | Premium Sound Pkg | Tech Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Top & Side Cameras | BMW Apps | HUD

Said goodbye to my 2007 335i Platinum Bronze Metallic | Beige Dakota Leather | Dark Wood Trim | Premium Pkg | Sport Pkg | Convenience Pkg
Old 12-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 F10 528i
I seriously only got the Navigation in order to make my car look luxurious and to please my mom. Otherwise, I don't even bother as it gives me some crazy instructions every time.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 550i
It gets confused frequently, and has given me conflicting instructions on several occasions. Thankfully I have Google Navigation on my Android device, or I would be out of luck in some cases.

This is common kind of problem it has. Near me is a highway that splits in to three different directions. Two left lanes are one, the right lane goes straight, and from the right lane you can make a right. If you are going on the roadway that is straight, it will tell you to take right, then take a left immediately. It really should be saying bear right. The nav in my E70 never had this problem at this or other such intersections.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
+1....i use it w/ Google Maps all the time and find it fairly accurate, definately have not had the same experience as the OP and i'm in the same state...

Aceman
Same here. I've found the F10 Nav system to be comparable to other built-in systems I've used (i.e., pretty good but not 100% reliable). Has anyone conducted a simultaneous, side by side comparison with other built-in systems?
2012 535i: Jet Black; Oyster and Black Nappa Leather; Dark wood trim; M Sport Package; Premium Sound Package; Technology Package; Premium Package; Active Roll Stabilization; Sport automatic transmission; Head-up Display; Power rear sunshade; Split fold-down-rear seat; BMW Apps; Side and Top View Cameras.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Another semi-positive voice here... Even though I hate the way many street do not contain labels until zoomed in too closely (when they disappear from the screen altogether), direction-wise it has never led me wrong. Maybe it doesn't always find my preferred route and I have to override it by ignoring a suggested turn (which would be hard in the city I don't know as well), it has yet to act in any strange way as to mislead me or take me to a wrong place.

I've recently used a new TL's navi and it looked even worse than ours (in fact I started appreciating our look after that). It was tool colourful, like a toy, simply childish. Our day-time choice of colours is very mature and fits the class and interior well. TLs navi also did not show many street names at a zoom level I would have liked to see them at....

Unless Google gets into this car-navi system full time and offers some great bargains to the auto-makers to use g-maps, we are not going to see a perfect solution, probably...
Old 12-20-2011, 10:42 PM

Also, nothing beats that awesome view when not in use....

Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEnMan View Post
Same here. I've found the F10 Nav system to be comparable to other built-in systems I've used (i.e., pretty good but not 100% reliable). Has anyone conducted a simultaneous, side by side comparison with other built-in systems?
Yes, with two previous systems in my 01 E38 and 08 E60 which both had the NavTeq supplied maps.

The current TeleAtlas maps BMW switched to in MY 2009 (at least in my wife's E90) are quite a step backwards in terms of map accuracy and routing algorithms.

I do like the elegant integration into the car and the Google maps "send address" feature is way cool.

Too many instances when I use the new map it leads me in the wrong direction or gives bogus turn directions.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 AM

Mein Auto: '11 GTR, '12 X5 50i, 550i
The graphics and display are very good, but the directions generally are not..and they have gotten worse. My '08 X5 knew my street...my '12 X5 M did not recognize it as a street, nor does my '12 550i. When giving directions, it frequently tells me to "bear right" or "bear left" when what I really need to do is either go straight or turn. I'd say in half of the times I have used it, it has taken me either the wrong way or mislead me on where and how to turn.

The nav on my GTR is much better in that it gives street view looks showing exactly how you are going to turn and also shows simulated street signs. Overall the directions seem more accurate, and the voice is better. It also always shows you what street you are on and what the speed limit is where you are. And it's a touch screen, too.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexEnMan View Post
I've done side by side with Honda and Honda wins easily. Also carry a Tom Tom portable for when I really want to find the shortest route to my destination.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
In a related story: water is still wet.

I generally find that if I can get the destination inputted properly the nav will get me theree. Sometimes the routing is not the most logical (Google navigation on my android phone is infinitely better) but it'll get me there.

But yes, the nav system on this car is a disgrace in a $55k+ vehicle.

Consider it the equivalent of crank windows or a four speed automatic transmission and you'll have a better frame of reference.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 AM

It is true that it is a disgrace, when you consider the cost of the car... I've just relied on it to get me places and it did (which were for timely business and it never failed really which would have been baaad). But often on our freeways it will tell me to bear right (onto slower collector lanes) when I should really bear left to stay in express.

Google send to map is a Godly option. I cannot see myself using that nav address entry at all had it not been for that (this or any other w/o keyboard and live lookup)

Oh, the nav also does not read out street names (just says: Turn left, but not ... onto Main street). This would be 100% unacceptable in portable units or smartphone apps (I have Navigon on Iphone which reads names since 2 yrs ago).

But it will get me places... which kind of matters the most. Funny, this is the Nth thread on the topic. Some guys are probably like... WTF....
Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 AM
Steel is where it's at!!!

Mein Auto: '12 550i x & '12 X5d
In my experience, I find it sometimes takes me on fairly inconvenient detours. It often avoids a certain bridge that I often take into the city for some reason. (Victoria Bridde in Montreal) It will only correct the route once I'm actually on the bridge, shaving a fair bit of time off the route. Weird.
This makes me wonder when I'm in cities that I'm not familiar with, does it take me on longer routes than necessary?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535 IX - March build
Same here, my experience is quite different. My NAV is just about as good as the NAV in my 5 year old Honda Odyssey (the same NAV in the Acura). It has been pretty much spot on every time I have used it. I suspect this may have more to do with location/City that it is being used in.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Recently went from Houston to west Texas. The NAV said to go to Dallas and turn left. It didn't realize that I-10 went to Midland until we got past San Antonio. Locally though it has been no problem
Old 12-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sport Package
I recently set a trip leaving Central New Jersey to Intercourse, PA. 2 1/2 hours later I ended up in Blue Balls, PA. Although my NAV led me through Intercourse and straight to Blue Balls, it was an enjoyable ride.
BMWCCA Member #458528 www.bmwcca.org

"If Things Seem Under Control, You're Not Going Fast Enough"
Mario Andretti
Old 12-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Yogi, regarding address entry, have you tried voice entry? It works like a charm every time. Easiest address entry of any system I've used.
I've noticed as well that the system frequently goes off the rails just as you are approaching the end of a trip. With the destination literally in sight, the system will instruct you to make a left turn instead of a right...

As for the dreaded "If possible, make a legal U turn...", who the hell knows.
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats

Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Old 12-21-2011, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X35D M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaymaster View Post
I recently set a trip leaving Central New Jersey to Intercourse, PA. 2 1/2 hours later I ended up in Blue Balls, PA. Although my NAV led me through Intercourse and straight to Blue Balls, it was an enjoyable ride.
Lol

2011 335d: sold
2008 535xi: in lease heaven