Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2.0 diesel
Air mass filter or inlet manifold cleaning

Thank you for opening this and apologies as this is a long question.

My 5 year old X3 2.0 diesel has had a long problem with the engine warning light coming on. Originally the garage cleaned/blew air into the air mass filter which cured the problem for a while (conveniently to get it through the warranty period). It persisited and eventually I had the air mass filter changed a few months ago. Again the problem went away and drove really weel, but after 3 days the light appeared again and ever since the consumption has dropped to ~25mpg from a reasonable 35mpg in general use and on the long run from 50-60mpg to ~40mpg if I am lucky.

The garage says the inlet maniflold may need cleaning as that is all they can think the problem is.

Welcome your views...is this a common problem?

Also, is this something I can do....I am not averse to working on the engine myself. Many years ago I was a dab hand at re-building VW beetle engines....not done that sort if thing for 30 years now....if so how?

Any advise or suggestions welcome

Cheers
Ads by Google
Old 12-20-2011, 03:19 AM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
You would have to drive in some pretty dirty, dusty conditions to muck up your intake system. Hopefully you are not driving your D in those types of conditions.

Sounds like a dirty intake should not be a cause. A mass flow meter not reading correctly could possibly cause fuel/air ratios to be off, burning less efficiently.

I can read my air mass flow on my Garmin ECOROUTE, even though I would not have a clue what it is supposed to read, but if it was off you may be able to determine if that is the problem, especially since you had a history of this already.

If you have access to a decent shop perhaps they could check the air flow reading for you?

Have not seen where this has been a problem on this side of the pond.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 12-20-2011, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2.0 diesel
Thanks Flyingman,

I intend to take it into the local BMW service shop.

The way it was explained to me by the garage was that the air mass sensor reads the flow of air going into the chambers and then decides the amount of flue to inject. They think that becaue the exhaust air is burned again and passes through the inlet manifold this has caused a build up of "crud" which is disturbing the flow.

Not sure if this right so welcome any views.

Cheers again
Old 12-20-2011, 03:58 AM
hang up and drive!

I was not sure if our engines recycle some of the exhaust back into the intake. Normally that is not a good idea. Bad air/fuel ratio means too rich with fuel, incomplete burning, etc...

If there is build up I would suspect it would be on the exhaust side unless you had some bad valve overlap and exhaust was coming back out the intake, highly unlikely with a turbocharged engine.

Your model and engine should be a pretty popular one over there, unlike what we are faced with here, so you should be able to get some competent service.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Balzep, sent you a pm.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:52 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
I was not sure if our engines recycle some of the exhaust back into the intake. Normally that is not a good idea. Bad air/fuel ratio means too rich with fuel, incomplete burning, etc...
All our engines (and the UK ones, too) use EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) to help reduce NOx emissions. The "Introduction to diesel technology" and "ST180" pdf files talk about this. The shiny metal square can on the front of our 335d engines is the EGR cooler.

The US engines have a slightly different setup for EGR than the UK ones; my guess is that the separator and valve have failed somewhat and are allowing coking on the intake valves, or buildup on the intake manifold. I think that a walnut-shell blast cleaning of the manifold and valves is probably the type of repair needed.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
All our engines (and the UK ones, too) use EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) to help reduce NOx emissions. The "Introduction to diesel technology" and "ST180" pdf files talk about this. The shiny metal square can on the front of our 335d engines is the EGR cooler.

The US engines have a slightly different setup for EGR than the UK ones; my guess is that the separator and valve have failed somewhat and are allowing coking on the intake valves, or buildup on the intake manifold. I think that a walnut-shell blast cleaning of the manifold and valves is probably the type of repair needed.
And EGR's on diesels in my experience are notorious with "mucking up" the intake system. I had a failed EGR on the truck and the end result was the entire intake system had to be pulled and cleaned out, was not pretty at all.

Someone on here posted up about their 2009 335d recently needing a software update for what I thought they said was carbon buildup in the intake system.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
hang up and drive!

Based on doing some quick research I would have to agree that the EGR could very well be a culprit of your problem.

I had completely forgotten about those. We would never reintroduce gasses of combustion back into our large Power Generation Engines. Wreaks (sp?) havoc on the entire intake system and causes lots of cold corrosion, etc...

Read up on it here: http://www.automedia.com/Exhaust_Gas...cr20060101eg/1

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 AM

I had the same issue with my 02 MCS and had somewhat like K&N filter and messed up the MASS flow sensor, I finally got rid of the filter and started using the AMSOIL EA filter made from microfiber, which needs cleaning every so often by using a vaccum cleaner, and I never did have anymore problems of such matter