Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 330ci
I have a 2002 bmw 330ci and have this same issue. I had a tail light out a week after I bought the car. Then again two months later. Then again about a month ago when it was at bmw to get the car inspected. Bmw said my bulbs all needed replaced. I did the replacement only to see the left ones are either out or loosing the brightness. Would be great if they would have fixed this issue years ago.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 325i with M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstrachan View Post
I hear ya but if the lamps are functionon and ther is no "melted" connections...

It could be a bigger job if they have to replace corroded and/or melted parts...!
Mine's all corroded and melted straight through. My question is this; my right rear turn signal doesn't work, my right rear brake light doesn't work. Isn't BMW libel if I'm involved in an accident if they can't supply parts to repair the defect?

I understand the fix 'delay' for those who's lights are functioning, but for those of us without, you think they'll have parts for us right?

By comparison, I've had 3 recalls on my 2001 ML repaired/ replaced; brake light switch under the pedal, brake line rubbing on parts of the undercarriage and the cruise control switch to cancel with the brake not just the stalk lever. Parts were always on hand and dare I say there are about as many MLs (W163) on the road as E46s. All of which were functioning just fine, but fixed under recall campaign while I was at the dealer for other service. MBZ service advisors said they are libel if they don't fix it when it's in the shop.

Isn't BMW exposing themselves to lawsuits for not having parts available? It just doesn't figure.

I know this is a rant and I'm not issuing new information to help other posters and I'm sure FastBob will chime in telling my my M56 is wierd and should be traded for a 'normal' car but regardless thank you for reading my rant.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325xi
Go to your local dealer or your mechanic and ask them if they can fix it. Pay for it and than get refund if you get recall.
This is exact reason I did not want to wait, connector was melted.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:27 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCorney View Post
Mine's all corroded and melted straight through. My question is this; my right rear turn signal doesn't work, my right rear brake light doesn't work. Isn't BMW libel if I'm involved in an accident if they can't supply parts to repair the defect?

I understand the fix 'delay' for those who's lights are functioning, but for those of us without, you think they'll have parts for us right?

By comparison, I've had 3 recalls on my 2001 ML repaired/ replaced; brake light switch under the pedal, brake line rubbing on parts of the undercarriage and the cruise control switch to cancel with the brake not just the stalk lever. Parts were always on hand and dare I say there are about as many MLs (W163) on the road as E46s. All of which were functioning just fine, but fixed under recall campaign while I was at the dealer for other service. MBZ service advisors said they are libel if they don't fix it when it's in the shop.

Isn't BMW exposing themselves to lawsuits for not having parts available? It just doesn't figure.

I know this is a rant and I'm not issuing new information to help other posters and I'm sure FastBob will chime in telling my my M56 is wierd and should be traded for a 'normal' car but regardless thank you for reading my rant.
I would be more worried about a traffic ticket right now and if in your position, would get them fixed and get reimbursed later. I would also carry with me the BMW notification (parts shortage) in the event that you do get pulled over. Not sure if it would necessarily be a "fix it" ticket, but would certainly be a pain.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
I would also carry with me the BMW notification (parts shortage) in the event that you do get pulled over.
And if you haven't received it yet, I attached it on the previous page. No indication of my name, just a form letter.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ohyeaah
Mein Auto: 2001 325ci bmw
If you can solder,you can fix the problem very easily!
Mine was not part of the recall(2 months too early apparently) but I fixed it in about 30 min. As long as the prongs are not too burnt up.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 325i
Not entirely free

I took my 2005 325i in for this recall since the warning light has been on for 2 years. They fixed the wiring assembly, but informed me that the entire rear tail light neede to be replaced for the fix to work ($80). The wiring fix would not work without the new tailight assembly according to BMW. Unfortunately they do not consider this to be part of the recall even though the recall says they will FIX the problem. I'm not very pleased with BMW. It is charges like these that they slide in underneath a recall that make me consider purchasing a different vehicle in the future.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccrystal View Post
I took my 2005 325i in for this recall since the warning light has been on for 2 years. They fixed the wiring assembly, but informed me that the entire rear tail light neede to be replaced for the fix to work ($80). The wiring fix would not work without the new tailight assembly according to BMW. Unfortunately they do not consider this to be part of the recall even though the recall says they will FIX the problem. I'm not very pleased with BMW. It is charges like these that they slide in underneath a recall that make me consider purchasing a different vehicle in the future.
Ridiculous, if not illegal under recall rules, unless they have uncovered a completely unrelated problem. Needless to say, I would be on the phone with BMW NA without delay...and perhaps NHTSA also.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
My light connector is melted and tail light stays off more than on called BMNA and they said my 2003 sedan's vin # stated i was not part of the recall and i would have to file a complaint with nhtsa.gov // kind of sad really that they are splitting hairs on the vin # since its the correct model year/ issue is the same but they did say i was free to correct this issue at my own expense if i felt unsafe driving and at some time in the future if enough people in the same vin# range have same issue and they admit they need to repair they "may" would refund monies paid (i guess if i get a lawyer and pay him 3 times what i paid for the repair)

Last edited by mike@cobywheel; 12-22-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@cobywheel View Post
My light connector is melted and tail light stays off more than on called BMNA and they said my 2003 sedan's vin # stated i was not part of the recall and i would have to file a complaint with nhtsa.gov // kind of sad really that they are splitting hairs on the vin # since its the correct model year/ issue is the same but they did say i was free to correct this issue at my own expense if i felt unsafe driving and at some time in the future if enough people in the same vin# range have same issue and they admit they need to repair they "may" would refund monies paid (i guess if i get a lawyer and pay him 3 times what i paid for the repair)
By all means, register your complaint with NHTSA:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It is not entirely unusual for NHTSA or a manufacturer to expand the scope of a recall as new owner's just outside the limits of the recall report identical problems.
You can also research the original NHTSA investigation documents (Google: NHTSA defects investigations) to see if the manufacturer had submitted warranty/repair data for this issue for your car.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
By all means, register your complaint with NHTSA:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

It is not entirely unusual for NHTSA or a manufacturer to expand the scope of a recall as new owner's just outside the limits of the recall report identical problems.
You can also research the original NHTSA investigation documents (Google: NHTSA defects investigations) to see if the manufacturer had submitted warranty/repair data for this issue for your car.
Effected vehicles
325I - 2002-2005
325XI - 2002-2005
330I - 2002-2005
330XI - 2002-2005

my car 2003 325i sedan(with melted connector) but somehow not included.

but yea going to note complaint on the NHTSA site but at the end of day it just turns into too much of a hassle to deal with which is what i think BMW is counting on in some respect.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
I'm scheduled with the dealer on Jan 4th to have this taken care of. They have wireless network in the lobby, so I'll do some work from there while I wait for it. Supposedly 45 minutes to fix it.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
Captain Slow

Send a message via AIM to Shabba Send a message via MSN to Shabba Send a message via Yahoo to Shabba
Mein Auto: 2006 325i Barrique
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@cobywheel View Post
Effected vehicles
325I - 2002-2005
325XI - 2002-2005
330I - 2002-2005
330XI - 2002-2005

my car 2003 325i sedan(with melted connector) but somehow not included.

but yea going to note complaint on the NHTSA site but at the end of day it just turns into too much of a hassle to deal with which is what i think BMW is counting on in some respect.
That's odd Mike. Mine is also an '03 sedan and I have an appointment next thursday at Richmond BMW to get mine done. The letter was sent to my mother in Georgia...apparently they didn't check DMV to see that it's in my name now.

My connector is a bit melted but still works. I'm at a loss as to why yours is not included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1881 View Post
I'm scheduled with the dealer on Jan 4th to have this taken care of. They have wireless network in the lobby, so I'll do some work from there while I wait for it. Supposedly 45 minutes to fix it.
Whoa really? I'm getting a loaner for the entire day. They must be behind on their service and are anticipating mine to take a while.
'91 Isuzu Stylus XS
'90 Saab 900T
'79 Datsun 280zx
'60 Jeep Willys CJ3B

Last edited by Shabba; 12-22-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabba View Post
That's odd Mike. Mine is also an '03 sedan and I have an appointment next thursday at Richmond BMW to get mine done. The letter was sent to my mother in Georgia...apparently they didn't check DMV to see that it's in my name now.

My connector is a bit melted but still works. I'm at a loss as to why yours is not included.

Whoa really? I'm getting a loaner for the entire day. They must be behind on their service and are anticipating mine to take a while.
yea its a bummer my car is a euro delivery car (military) but bought with US specs maybe the vin #'s for "grey Market" cars were not considered?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 AM
Captain Slow

Send a message via AIM to Shabba Send a message via MSN to Shabba Send a message via Yahoo to Shabba
Mein Auto: 2006 325i Barrique
Picked my car up this morning from the service. Looks like they replaced wiring with shiny bits of new plastic. Wheee!!!

Now I miss the '11 328i I had for the day.
'91 Isuzu Stylus XS
'90 Saab 900T
'79 Datsun 280zx
'60 Jeep Willys CJ3B
Old 01-01-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: '02 E46
Disa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSPDiver View Post
Speaking of not getting your hopes up, I just called BMW NA, and they said there are no open recalls for my VIN. Thing is, I've already had this problem and had to repair/replace one light. She said to try back in a week or so, and I told her I would, and escallate at that time if there is still nothing. MFers, pulled this shiz with the DISA valve issue, too. Starting to wonder if my VIN is incorrect in their system!
Was there a recall for the DISA?
Old 01-04-2012, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1881 View Post
All done. 30 minutes from handing the SA my key, until I got it back again. Wireless network in the lobby, some coffee, and I was all set.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:08 PM
Ich bin ein Bimmerer

Mein Auto: 04 ZHP/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedin_nuckles View Post
Was there a recall for the DISA?
Not a recall, but I believe a TSB for the 4k power dip.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 325i with M56
Quote:
So I ended up walking in with a SUPER dirty car and they took it in, fixed it and returned it end of day sparkling. "Free car wash" after all.

I also asked them to look into a check engine light I had on that threw a code for my secondary air pump. My SA told me that since I have a SULEV (M56), pumps and valves and other parts serving the emissions are covered by an extended warranty and could be replaced for free. As my luck would have it, it was the relay switch that was bad and so they charged me for the electrical part and minimal labor to fix it.

Regardless, my dashboard now only shows the necessary alerts and readouts, and for that I am happy.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
So I ended up walking in with a SUPER dirty car and they took it in, fixed it and returned it end of day sparkling. "Free car wash" after all.

I also asked them to look into a check engine light I had on that threw a code for my secondary air pump. My SA told me that since I have a SULEV (M56), pumps and valves and other parts serving the emissions are covered by an extended warranty and could be replaced for free. As my luck would have it, it was the relay switch that was bad and so they charged me for the electrical part and minimal labor to fix it.

Regardless, my dashboard now only shows the necessary alerts and readouts, and for that I am happy.
Good deal. I think it's a good idea for anyone who thinks that they're "out of warranty" to look over their emissions warranty. Quite a few emissions-related issues have extended coverage and I believe California has even stricter warranty coverage. The BMW warranty booklet has all the details.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 01-06-2012, 05:52 PM
dizz

Mein Auto: 528i 1997
it his not the decision of bmw of NA BUT THE HEAD OFFICE OF GERMANY.AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WICH ISSUES YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT (XENON).
Old 01-11-2012, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
I just recieved my recall notice for the taillights so i called my local BMW dealer to make an appointment, they took my name and number and told me they would call me when BMW finalized the class action suit - then they will fix the problem- whats up with that ?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRHEAT View Post
I just recieved my recall notice for the taillights so i called my local BMW dealer to make an appointment, they took my name and number and told me they would call me when BMW finalized the class action suit - then they will fix the problem- whats up with that ?
There is an ongoing CA lawsuit for HPFP (E92 etc.), but that's an UNRELATED issue. Your dealer is confused.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
thanks i will call them back
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0
Had mine done yesterday.

Looks pretty routine. In and out in about an hour.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan021580.pdf (48.7 KB, 196 views)

2008 X5 3.0 - Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown - Sport (back when it meant something).

2004 330XI Orient Blue /Sand

Last edited by notaminivan; 01-11-2012 at 09:26 AM.