Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
New 2011 335d

I have my new black/black 335d for about three weeks now and am loving it. Its my first BMW, and I traded in my Infiniti FX35 for this wonderful sports sedan.

I've gotten used to a lot of things but there are still some funny new things to learn. One thing I notice is that the car makes a dull midtone hum when its cold. It is only audible when coasting off the acceleration, and only for the first 10 minutes after start.

Is this normal? I've rented diesels in Europe, but never owned one and am not sure if this is the way the car sounds when it is cold or if there if a belt or something needs adjustment.

Only have 1000 miles and would be grateful for advice.
Ads by Google
Old 12-20-2011, 08:00 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
First, you need to do something about your profile and what you really drive!

What I drive
Infiniti FX35

Please!

As far as the noise goes, would need a better description but the D does make some slightly different noises and responses when it is cold. i.e. it should sound a bit louder (knocking noise) until it gets warmer. Living in S. Florida it takes all of about 2-3 minutes for that to occur.

Congratulations on the purchase, I'm sure you made the right choice.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Thanks. I updated my profile!

I'm used to the knocking sound. That's normal for a diesel in cold weather. The sound I get is when I come off the gas and the car is coasting. It almost feels like the parking break is rubbing and the friction is making a humming sound. Its not high or low pitched - just in the middle, and it lasts about 10 minutes and goes away. Seems to be worse when I park in the driveway - which is on a steep incline.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 PM

Btw, is it true that the only way to upgrade the HD based NAV is via the dealer? Is it possible to do the upgrade via the USB in the glove box with an ISO on it?
Old 12-21-2011, 04:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by algreen345 View Post
One thing I notice is that the car makes a dull midtone hum when its cold. It is only audible when coasting off the acceleration, and only for the first 10 minutes after start.
Both the diesels I've owned have sounded a bit funky for the first few minutes when started in cold weather.I once started my "d" on a -31F morning (with God as my judge) and for the first 15 minutes or so it sounded like a Mack truck but after it warmed up it purred like a kitten (with the temps *still* about -28F).

My guess is that you needn't worry about the noise...particularly if it disappears soon after starting.

Fuelly

Last edited by listerone; 12-21-2011 at 04:56 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
You may be hearing the electric heater that only the US diesels have. It does sound different than the normal heat, which kicks on after the engine warms up.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
Quote:
Originally Posted by algreen345 View Post
I've gotten used to a lot of things but there are still some funny new things to learn.
That sounds like an interesting read, if you want to elaborate. My 'd' is also my first BMW but not my first diesel. Most of the things I had to learn were more related to BMW quirkiness rather than diesel driving... though there were some surprises there too. I've had it over a year and a half and I still look forward to driving it each day.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
I've been driving BMWs for over a decade. Our 335D replaced a '00 328i (which my lucky son now has). While we've only had the D less than 2 months, the greatest differences to me were more related to differences between an E46 and and E90, not so much from the switch from Gas to Diesel.

So far the differences I've noitced due to being Diesel which are few, include:
  • Stopping at a different pump to fill up (Duh)
  • Average MPG's always in the 30's
  • Having instant heat in cold weather (the aformentioned electric heater)
  • A different driving experience with high torque and lower RPMs

While we've only filled it 4 times that allowed me to verify the MPG on the OBC, in my case I'm consitently getting about 1.5 MPG better than displayed.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Power View Post
You may be hearing the electric heater that only the US diesels have. It does sound different than the normal heat, which kicks on after the engine warms up.
That sounds right. Have had the seat and wheel heaters on when I get that noise. Am surprised it makes a noise though. Will still ask the dealer about it.

Otherwise, am completely loving this car and look for new reasons to drive it every day...
Old 12-21-2011, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Power View Post
I will admit my hearing is not the best but I never have notice a sound related to the heater.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Cold weather , a heater what is that? LOL. I live in Puerto Rico, yes it does cold for me here in the mountain I live, lets say the coldest this year has been 63 degrees F where I live,and that was last jan-Feb.Come on down to sunny island this christmas
Old 12-22-2011, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
Where I live it feels like 63 degrees almost all year long.

I notice my car tends to run a bit warm inside - I usually have the temps set to 61/60 except on the coldest days. When I do need the heater I notice it does take a while to warm up, which suprises me considering it has that auxiliary heater. The mechanic says the climate control is operating normally so I just think of it as a quirky thing.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JŠnos View Post
Where I live it feels like 63 degrees almost all year long.

I notice my car tends to run a bit warm inside - I usually have the temps set to 61/60 except on the coldest days. When I do need the heater I notice it does take a while to warm up, which suprises me considering it has that auxiliary heater. The mechanic says the climate control is operating normally so I just think of it as a quirky thing.
It was an amazing 56F in New York today and that sound was gone when I started it today. I guess its the electric heater and will ask the dealer if the sound is normal.

Loved driving with the sun roof open and wish it would last, but its getting cold again tomorrow and winter will surely be here soon...
Old 12-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Unless the dealer drives a diesel he probably won't have a clue. I am almost certain that is what you are hearing, I noticed it right away coming from the 335i. Cheers!

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.