Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2006, 01:12 AM
jviz4u jviz4u is offline
BMVIZ
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: BMW 325I Mystic Blue
Install of aftermarket Bluetooth kit with E90 steering wheel integration!

just finished installing after market bluetooth handfree kit WITH steering wheel keys and Professional Radio (w/fiber) integration successfully. When all will be completed – I believe that it will be comparable or better and much more compatible with larger number of phones that the original BMW BT retrofit option and all this under $500. It uses Voice/phone MFT keys, mutes the radio, uses front speakers for audio and displays “Telephone active” on radio display.
I tested it with Blackberry 7290 and SprintPCS Katana and it works great as handfree and address book sync. I know that number of forums member mentioned that this type integration is “difficult” or expensive and this triggered my curiosity.
I

Best,
Attached Images
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BluetootKit.jpg
Views:	4559
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	83702  
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-23-2006, 08:39 AM
el_duderino el_duderino is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland OR
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 708
Mein Auto: 07 E91 xiT
Is "La" Louisiana or Latvia?

I am familiar with Parrot handsfree kits. I fail to see how the integration is better than the stock unit, considering the big display billboard you have sticking up in the air.

Is there anywhere on the left side of the steering wheel that would work for the CK3200 controller? That one looks a lot more Euro in design cosmetically.

What is the kit you speak of?
__________________
2007 E91 xiT

RIP avincar - check out musicarnw.com in Portland, OR.

Specializing in European car audio and entertainment upgrades done right.

Also check out OEinterface.com - OEM integration resource
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2006, 04:06 PM
jviz4u jviz4u is offline
BMVIZ
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: BMW 325I Mystic Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_duderino View Post
Is "La" Louisiana or Latvia?
LA like Los Angeles :-)




Quote:
Originally Posted by el_duderino View Post
I am familiar with Parrot handsfree kits. I fail to see how the integration is better than the stock unit, considering the big display billboard you have sticking up in the air.

Is there anywhere on the left side of the steering wheel that would work for the CK3200 controller? That one looks a lot more Euro in design cosmetically.

What is the kit you speak of?
As a pro installer (I like your web site), you know that you can install LCD anywhere or even hide it completly and use Voice command with 3000 evo. I think it is a perfect FIY option for adding Bluetooth without cutting any wires and easy removable/movable to different vehicle specially if you leasing.

How do you currently integrating Parrot to the steering wheel on E90?

I'm in process of importing more kits - let me know if you interested.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2006, 05:08 PM
M3Mike's Avatar
M3Mike M3Mike is offline
Controversial - of course
Location: Timbuck2
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,704
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviz4u View Post
LA like Los Angeles :-)






As a pro installer (I like your web site), you know that you can install LCD anywhere or even hide it completly and use Voice command with 3000 evo. I think it is a perfect FIY option for adding Bluetooth without cutting any wires and easy removable/movable to different vehicle specially if you leasing.

How do you currently integrating Parrot to the steering wheel on E90?

I'm in process of importing more kits - let me know if you interested.
el_duderino (AVINCAR) is installing Toms (EuropeanAutoSource) imported BMW Version 9 Bluetooth kit in my M3 Friday !!

Also potentially an amp & higher powered rear 6 X 9 's.

I am excited & will report back next week.

They did an excellent job on my iPod DICE system.


**As for the portable Bluetooth kits - I am curious since I have a Tundra ready for the portable style, so keep me posted.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2006, 07:36 PM
el_duderino el_duderino is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Portland OR
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 708
Mein Auto: 07 E91 xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviz4u View Post

I'm in process of importing more kits - let me know if you interested.
I hate voice command.

Send me info on your kits though. I thought you looked like a troller.

bimmerfest at avincar dot com.
__________________
2007 E91 xiT

RIP avincar - check out musicarnw.com in Portland, OR.

Specializing in European car audio and entertainment upgrades done right.

Also check out OEinterface.com - OEM integration resource
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:29 AM
jviz4u jviz4u is offline
BMVIZ
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: BMW 325I Mystic Blue
pdf attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_duderino View Post
I hate voice command.

Send me info on your kits though. I thought you looked like a troller.

bimmerfest at avincar dot com.
It advertised for Parrot 3000 evo (with Volume) and 3100 (without Volume) but I think it will work with the rest of them. Need more testing

PS: what is "troller"?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2006, 10:08 PM
jviz4u jviz4u is offline
BMVIZ
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: BMW 325I Mystic Blue
Look at http://www.connects2auto.com/product...uto-Parrot.pdf
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2006, 10:59 AM
M3Mike's Avatar
M3Mike M3Mike is offline
Controversial - of course
Location: Timbuck2
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,704
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviz4u View Post
just finished installing after market bluetooth handfree kit WITH steering wheel keys and Professional Radio (w/fiber) integration successfully. When all will be completed – I believe that it will be comparable or better and much more compatible with larger number of phones that the original BMW BT retrofit option and all this under $500. It uses Voice/phone MFT keys, mutes the radio, uses front speakers for audio and displays "Telephone active" on radio display.
I tested it with Blackberry 7290 and SprintPCS Katana and it works great as handfree and address book sync. I know that number of forums member mentioned that this type integration is "difficult" or expensive and this triggered my curiosity.
I

Best,
Attached Images
O.K., I just had the "BMW" version 9 bluetooth kit installed.

Purchased from EAS - Tom, Installed by Avincar.

I really like it !!

I am not sure why somebody would choose the Parrot system over the real deal ? you do not have the gaudy screen or aftermarket buttons like in the "Parrot" kit & the price is not much diff either ??

I would think an aftermarket bluetooth kit would be nice "If" your car did not have the true bluetooth capability at all.

Like for instance my pick-up, I would have to get a stand alone system of some sort.

________________
Just my 2 cents....
________________


For BMW I say go with the EAS BMW version 9 system. It works quite well also with the

DICE kit. My cell phone is a Motorolla RAZRm. Perfect integration.

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-27-2006, 02:42 PM
jviz4u jviz4u is offline
BMVIZ
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: BMW 325I Mystic Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Mike View Post
O.K., I just had the "BMW" version 9 bluetooth kit installed.

Purchased from EAS - Tom, Installed by Avincar.

I really like it !!

I am not sure why somebody would choose the Parrot system over the real deal ? you do not have the gaudy screen or aftermarket buttons like in the "Parrot" kit & the price is not much diff either ??

I would think an aftermarket bluetooth kit would be nice "If" your car did not have the true bluetooth capability at all.

Like for instance my pick-up, I would have to get a stand alone system of some sort.

________________
Just my 2 cents....
________________


For BMW I say go with the EAS BMW version 9 system. It works quite well also with the

DICE kit. My cell phone is a Motorolla RAZRm. Perfect integration.


M3MIKE

Sounds like a great option for your M3 - Enjoy. I don't think that both options are avalable for E90/91 and the BMW Bluetooth retrofit kit (real deal) is over $3k.

The LCD screen installed in the place picked by me in the locations that easier for me to see, instead of the radio display that I can't see wearing sunglasses.

The final results are great. Voice recognition button on steering wheel allows incoming calls and starts voice recognition option on Parrot. The phone button ends the call. During the call the Radio mutes and the kits uses front speaker for voice. The microphone installed/counseled in original location in the front dome. The caller ID and address book displays on LCD that I install on the dash that I can see with sunglasses . I tested this with my Cingular Blackberry and the address book syncs as expected.
In summary, I think it is a perfect FIY option for adding Bluetooth on a budget without cutting wires and easy removable/movable to different vehicle specially if you leasing your current vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-28-2006, 08:26 AM
ambishop ambishop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 740i, 750il, m6
You can upgrade to the fully integrated BMW version for just a little more in the E90/E91 (and NOT 3K!) with a new BMW Bluetooth kit. Plus you get voice recognition and full support of all features in your car. (plus no dinkiny little control panel)

http://www.bimmernav.com/newstyle.html

If someone in Austin texas wants to help me with documenting the isntall in the E90 please let me know. The install is super easy as the wiring harness is just under the trunk cover.

Martin

Last edited by ambishop; 08-28-2006 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-28-2006, 08:53 AM
M3Mike's Avatar
M3Mike M3Mike is offline
Controversial - of course
Location: Timbuck2
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,704
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviz4u View Post
M3MIKE

Sounds like a great option for your M3 - Enjoy. I don't think that both options are avalable for E90/91 and the BMW Bluetooth retrofit kit (real deal) is over $3k.

The LCD screen installed in the place picked by me in the locations that easier for me to see, instead of the radio display that I can't see wearing sunglasses.

The final results are great. Voice recognition button on steering wheel allows incoming calls and starts voice recognition option on Parrot. The phone button ends the call. During the call the Radio mutes and the kits uses front speaker for voice. The microphone installed/counseled in original location in the front dome. The caller ID and address book displays on LCD that I install on the dash that I can see with sunglasses . I tested this with my Cingular Blackberry and the address book syncs as expected.
In summary, I think it is a perfect FIY option for adding Bluetooth on a budget without cutting wires and easy removable/movable to different vehicle specially if you leasing your current vehicle.
BMW's specific bluetooth kit latest version (9) inc all parts = $750.00 EAS part.
Install was fairly simple and Avincar charged me $75.00

Done deal.

Does the BMW/EAS version 9 part not work with E90 BMW's ???

I may go with the Parrot set-up for my truck since there is not a factory stereo integration available though.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-28-2006, 08:59 AM
ambishop ambishop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 740i, 750il, m6
The EAS kit you got was PERFECT for the E46. This is specific to the E90, although it is similar to the E46 kit you got, the electronics are different.

The E46 electronics system operates using the I bus (serial bus) system while the E90 operates on the MOST (Fiber obtic System) not many parts are interchangable between the two cars. Looking at the parts it will look similar, but you will quickly notice the connectors are different between the two cars. The E90 has a Fiber optic connection for the audio system that the E46 does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Mike View Post
BMW's specific bluetooth kit latest version (9) inc all parts = $750.00 EAS part.
Install was fairly simple and Avincar charged me $75.00

Done deal.

Does the BMW/EAS version 9 part not work with E90 BMW's ???

I may go with the Parrot set-up for my truck since there is not a factory stereo integration available though.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-28-2006, 11:54 AM
M3Mike's Avatar
M3Mike M3Mike is offline
Controversial - of course
Location: Timbuck2
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,704
Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambishop View Post
The EAS kit you got was PERFECT for the E46. This is specific to the E90, although it is similar to the E46 kit you got, the electronics are different.

The E46 electronics system operates using the I bus (serial bus) system while the E90 operates on the MOST (Fiber obtic System) not many parts are interchangable between the two cars. Looking at the parts it will look similar, but you will quickly notice the connectors are different between the two cars. The E90 has a Fiber optic connection for the audio system that the E46 does not.
O.K. thanks for the clarification on E90 series BMW's. So is the $3000.00 BMW option and the Parrot system all that is available now for E90's ? If that is the case I guess I better understand the Parrot system as being an alternative.

Kinda sucks - (though I love having integrated bluetooth).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-29-2006, 08:10 AM
ambishop ambishop is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 740i, 750il, m6
No sorry to confuse you on this.

E90 Bluetooth retrofit kit $650 from www.bimmernav.com

It is very similar to what you got for your E46.

Martin
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 AM
e91oxford e91oxford is offline
Registered User
Location: Oxford UK
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: E91 320d SE Touring
Question for jviz4u re: Parrot installation.

From the photo, you have exactly the same radio & aircon as me. I also want to fit a parrot kit (In the UK the E90 does not come with BT prep as standard).

Did you remove the radio & aircon front panels? if so, how? thanks for any advice on this.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-04-2007, 11:20 AM
jviz4u jviz4u is offline
BMVIZ
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: BMW 325I Mystic Blue
Dyi

I posted DIY and short video on the US web site at:


http://www.connects2auto.com/resourc...-c2kit-diy.pdf


Check it out, let me know if it helps.

Update; after months of happy usage of Parrot Bluetooth kit with steering keys and audio integration, I decided to enhance two minor points.
1. Microphone pickup quality improvement by relocating it outside of OE location.
2. Relocation of the LCD panel below AC control panel.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parrot-new.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	99843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Parrot-new2.jpg
Views:	1030
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	99844  
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-09-2007, 02:28 PM
jviz4u jviz4u is offline
BMVIZ
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: BMW 325I Mystic Blue
News

I just found out that the Connects2 and Parrot BMW Bluetooth has a parts approval from BMW South Africa.
see BMW Parrot Bulletin attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf bmwsa_connects2.pdf (173.2 KB, 937 views)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
gkoukou gkoukou is offline
Registered User
Location: Greece
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: E90 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Mike View Post
BMW's specific bluetooth kit latest version (9) inc all parts = $750.00 EAS part.
Install was fairly simple and Avincar charged me $75.00

Done deal.

Does the BMW/EAS version 9 part not work with E90 BMW's ???

I may go with the Parrot set-up for my truck since there is not a factory stereo integration available though.
I do not understand these prices guys. The price for the kit I have found in Europe is similar (about 600 euros) but installation!!!

BMW dealer in Germany asked me for 600 euros and another one here in Greece for 800
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-18-2008, 10:08 AM
web1b web1b is offline
Registered User
Location: usa
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviz4u View Post
I posted DIY and short video on the US web site at:


http://www.connects2auto.com/resourc...-c2kit-diy.pdf


Check it out, let me know if it helps.

Update; after months of happy usage of Parrot Bluetooth kit with steering keys and audio integration, I decided to enhance two minor points.
1. Microphone pickup quality improvement by relocating it outside of OE location.
2. Relocation of the LCD panel below AC control panel.

Enjoy
If you have steering wheel integration, why do you need that LCD control panel installed there? I don't like the looks of it.
If it's for caller ID, then I'd rather get a phone mount instead and use my phone's screen for caller id rather than have that thing permanently mounted to the car.
If you need the control panel to operate the bluetooth, then the steering wheel integration isn't as good as I thought.

I read the threads on retrofitting the BMW bluetooth and there are mostly horrors stories and you end up with German language voice commands.
The only success has been installing the entire bluetooth/BMW assist and that installation cost around $1600. Too much money especially if all you wanted was bluetooth with English commands.

If I could get the Parrot kit with steering wheel controls and no additional Parrot controller boxes in view installed under $500 or so, I think that would be the best choice.
I think the Parrot kit is also compatible with a wider variety of phones than the BMW OEM kit and it also gives you access to you phone's built-in voice tags, so you don't need to create new ones like you need to for the OEM.

The only advantage I see with retrofitting the OEM bleutooth kit is that the caller-id would display on the radio's screen, but a phone mount could handle viewing caller-id.

Otherwise, the next best choice (and very inexpensive) would be to get the new Blueant Supertooth 3/Supertooth Voice. It clips on the sun visor and announces incoming calls with your contacts name or else the caller-id phone number if the caller isn't in your address book. It goes into standby when you leave the car and it "wakes up" automatically when you return when it senses the vibration of the car door closing. You can answer incoming calls by just saying "OK" so it can be truly handsfree. It also allows you to use your phone's voice recognition to dial by name.

The only disadvantages I see are that if you have break-in concerns, you may need to remove it from the visor when you park and turn it off and that would defeat purpose of the seamless handsfree reconnections.
If you don't walk more than 10 meters away from the car when you park, your phone may remain paired the the kit and there seems to be no solution to this other than turning off the device manually.

It's already on sale in Australia and should be on sale in the US in the next month or so.


Last edited by web1b; 05-18-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-28-2011, 10:46 PM
gjimmy gjimmy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 108
Mein Auto: 3 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambishop View Post
You can upgrade to the fully integrated BMW version for just a little more in the E90/E91 (and NOT 3K!) with a new BMW Bluetooth kit. Plus you get voice recognition and full support of all features in your car. (plus no dinkiny little control panel)

http://www.bimmernav.com/newstyle.html

If someone in Austin texas wants to help me with documenting the isntall in the E90 please let me know. The install is super easy as the wiring harness is just under the trunk cover.

Martin
I just bought a 2009 335i and it did not have Bluetooth but did have iDrive and voice command. Bluetooth happened to be the feature I really wanted but the deal I got was good enough to not pass up.

Have many of you guys successfully installed the kit from BimmerNav.com? Is it the OEM kit?

Also, is the wiring harness that people are talking about under the easy-to-remove panel in the trunk? You know, the one that one might expect to find a spare tire underneath? I have opened that panel and have not seen any wires hanging there. The pic on the BimmerNav website was not wide enough to show exactly where it was in the trunk.

Would love to hear anymore comments or suggestions about this Bluetooth Kit as I would love to have it work with the steering wheel button and iDrive.

Thanks so much

p.s. I am loving the 335i. So much fun to drive, but I haven't really been able to let it rip yet!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with tire/handling problem pmcwhinnie E39 (1997 - 2003) 5 12-22-2006 12:46 PM
Help re: aftermarket steering wheel horn wiring Neil E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002) 14 03-29-2006 12:58 PM
e90 steering wheel on z3? MikeHsu E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002) 2 01-28-2006 09:55 PM
Active Autowerks Supercharger: Is it worth it? Roninpb Forced Induction 5 01-17-2006 03:47 PM
m3 steering wheel install palooka666 3 Series / 4 Series 2 05-14-2002 09:34 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms