Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 12-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 525e bmw
few noises and perks

can anyone tell me why my gearstick gets so hot it burns my hands im concerned that cant be right.
also the clutch is making a funny rattling noise when im idleing at the lights with the clutch in for a bit??

and theres a new noise with my power steering like rough clunking??

any ideas would be great you guys are so smart!

i know shes an oldie and theres gonna be a few perks but i dont wanna fork out big bucks for something that may be really simple.

i love my car!
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
There's a number of possibilities. Check the level of fluid in the trans and confirm that your cooling system is working properly. As a car gets older, the radiator can lose efficiency from dirt and corrosion and the fan clutch can wear out. An improperly adjusted or worn cluch can cause alot of heat too.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 AM

Thankyou I did think about changing the transmission fluid in the gear box but the thing is this car is manual which is rare for this model car, so finding a way to do this has become a challenge for me I know the type of fluid and it seems easy enough to drain but putting the new stuff in proves quite a challenge, I gave the radiator a good flush and alot of gunk came out. As for the clutch fan that seems fine. And the clutch is pretty much brand new so I dunno if it's that. But I know the gear box hasn't changed fluids in like 25 years so that seems a very likely reason thank you!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn naylor View Post
Thankyou I did think about changing the transmission fluid in the gear box but the thing is this car is manual which is rare for this model car, so finding a way to do this has become a challenge for me I know the type of fluid and it seems easy enough to drain but putting the new stuff in proves quite a challenge, I gave the radiator a good flush and alot of gunk came out. As for the clutch fan that seems fine. And the clutch is pretty much brand new so I dunno if it's that. But I know the gear box hasn't changed fluids in like 25 years so that seems a very likely reason thank you!
The transmission should have a fill plug near the top on the right side. Make sure you are able to loosen this before you drain the fluid out of the bottom. The fill plugs seem to always get stuck. A long pipe extension on a breaker bar might give you more leverage. After you drain it, refill the trans through the upper plug with a small pump and hose. I use a plastic one that screws right on the top of a gallon sized plastic bottle. They only cost a few bucks and are very handy. The Bentley repair manual recommends an SAE 80, GL-4 rated non-hypoid gear oil, but the newer BMW manual transmissions usually use ATF (automatic transmission fluid). I use Royal Purple Synchromax in my newer BMW and it shifts very smoothly. You can use either one or even a mixture of both. Whatever you choose, change it.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 PM

Thank you! You have been a huge help!