Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 12-30-2011, 03:59 AM
moms old beemer

Mein Auto: 1989 525I
89 525I weird idle

my mom gave me this 89 525I i love it it runs great but recently its been acting funny,i stopped at the gas station put in fuel pulled away,all of a sudden the engine cuts out like it was out of gas started it up no prob.Ten minutes later it starts idling rough like its gonna dye but then after a minute or so smooths out smells like gas then runs fine,keeps doing that every ten minutes or so now it has a hard time starting when it finally does it idles rough then smooths out WHAT IS IT ?
Advertisement
Old 12-30-2011, 04:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
I would suggest posting in the correct sections. You have an e34 not an e28.

Andy
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1987 525e bmw
Check your air intake hose for any cracks or leaks mine did the same thing! Although mine is an e28 yours may have a similar vacuum system. If there is any unneeded air coming in to the vacuum system the engine will shut off to avoid damage because the air intake sensor releases the air to fuel ratio is incorrect and may damage your engine. Also there should be a little screw on top of the exterior engine head, tweak that with a screw driver only a millimeter and your idle will be smooth as a whistle. Also check that your cables on your battery terminals are righted properly. Any disturbances to the vacuum will cut out the engine for safety. Check the seal on your oil cap, dipstick/ oil stick, air intake hose. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
You might have a dead or dying fuel pump and/or a dirty fuel filter. Replace the filter first, look at the fuse and relays (cheap options first) and if that doesn't work replace the pump.