Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Auto stop/start will be the first thing I turn off when I get the car. I rarely drive in stop and go traffic anyway, so it's not likely to save me many pennies.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrasty View Post
Auto stop/start will be the first thing I turn off when I get the car. I rarely drive in stop and go traffic anyway, so it's not likely to save me many pennies.
Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves...or would that make one penny wise and pound foolish?

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sedan (F30)
Can anyone who's driven a BMW with Auto Start/Stop confirm with certainty whether it uses the starter to restart the engine or if it just fires the appropriate next cylinder and restarts the already warmed up engine that way? I was under the impression they used the 'next cylinder' method, but comments earlier in this thread seem to imply the starter method.

Last edited by SoonerJohn; 01-06-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohn View Post
Can anyone who's driven a BMW with Auto Start/Stop confirm with certainty whether it uses the starter to restart the engine or if it just fires the appropriate next cylinder and restarts the already warmed up engine that way? I was under the impression they used the 'next cylinder' method, but comments earlier in this thread seem to imply the starter method.
I can't confirm which method it uses to restart the engine since I didn't really get into the technical details of the car. However, I will say that it starts VERY quickly when you goose the gas pedal. I think the delay between complete silence and accelerating was less than the turbo lag I had in my old Saab 900 Turbo... but that's probably not saying much.

Generally I found if I was driving reasonably sedately then the auto start/stop was never an intrusion. It did however mean that I was having to plan ahead if I wanted to drive it harder... something that still sits wrong with me a little. The benefit to me of buying a sports car/sedan is simply the ability to switch personality just by choosing to drive it differently. Having to hit buttons or think about how I'm driving in advance somehow just seems wrong.

So instead of a dynamic personality, I feel the auto start/stop as well as the buttons in the console give the cars more of a "switchable personality". Somehow I feel something has been lost there.
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net
Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper_330 View Post
I can't confirm which method it uses to restart the engine since I didn't really get into the technical details of the car. However, I will say that it starts VERY quickly when you goose the gas pedal. I think the delay between complete silence and accelerating was less than the turbo lag I had in my old Saab 900 Turbo... but that's probably not saying much.

Generally I found if I was driving reasonably sedately then the auto start/stop was never an intrusion. It did however mean that I was having to plan ahead if I wanted to drive it harder... something that still sits wrong with me a little. The benefit to me of buying a sports car/sedan is simply the ability to switch personality just by choosing to drive it differently. Having to hit buttons or think about how I'm driving in advance somehow just seems wrong.

So instead of a dynamic personality, I feel the auto start/stop as well as the buttons in the console give the cars more of a "switchable personality". Somehow I feel something has been lost there.
Thanks Thumper! That super-quick start is consistent with what I've heard from others. That seems to me that it must be a 'fire next cylinder' start to get it running again that quickly, but I suppose the starter could get a warmed engine running pretty quickly as well.

Regardless, I have my 335i ordered and can hardly wait for my March 1 ED. If I don't like the way the start/stop operates, I'll just grow accustomed to hitting the start button and then immediately hitting the override button next to it. :-)
Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
I believe they use the starter (I'm not sure how you'd fire the next cylinder without using a starter to move the piston- the stroke goes fuel spray, compress, fire - so you can't simply ignite fuel that's sitting on the cylinder walls and you can't have it spray and compress without moving the piston - so no matter what you need a starter to get that going...)

Bear in mind it's not your typical ignition starter - a start/stop starter has much greater mass AFAIK
Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I believe they use the starter (I'm not sure how you'd fire the next cylinder without using a starter to move the piston- the stroke goes fuel spray, compress, fire - so you can't simply ignite fuel that's sitting on the cylinder walls and you can't have it spray and compress without moving the piston - so no matter what you need a starter to get that going...)

Bear in mind it's not your typical ignition starter - a start/stop starter has much greater mass AFAIK
It is definitely possible to do it without using a starter motor. The computer determines the best positioned cylinder, it shoots a fresh shot of gas in, and fires the plug and then just keeps on firing the other cylinders as normal. The only good professional explanation I can locate quickly at the moment is a PDF, but here's a link: http://www.etas.com/data/RealTimes_2...6_01_34_en.pdf
Old 01-06-2012, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
Huh, I usually consider ignition at an improperly timed piston movement to be called "detonation" - but i guess it makes sense with the computer controlling the cylinder and the amount of fuel (presumably) it makes sense.