Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12 View Post
I could not agree more Snipe. The days of using a simple volt meter are gone. A lot of these new young techs only know how to diagnose based on fault codes. I bet you could find some techs in the back who know what what an ohm is
I know for a fact that Momentum VW here in town has mechanics back there that have ZERO training or practical knowledge of working on cars. Back when we had our computer shop several of their mechanics came to use for computer parts. I remember one in particular who told me he was hired there to wash cars. Then over time they made him a mechanic and he openly admitted he knew nothing about working on cars when they made that decision and they sent him to zero training. I think this is more common place than it is not, perhaps not to that level but still to some degree of it.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335D
Update 2

got the NOX sensors replaced but the "check engine soon" light is back on. the dealer is now waiting for BMW engineers to come back from holiday to review the data.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by elester12 View Post
I could not agree more Snipe. The days of using a simple volt meter are gone. A lot of these new young techs only know how to diagnose based on fault codes. I bet you could find some techs in the back who know what what an ohm is
I know I know - Ohm's are audio speakers made in NY. Sorry, couldn't resist

The first several times I took my car in, I quizzed the service advisor - asked him to make sure he knew it was a diesel, how many diesels they work on - he personally had 6 in that week. Turns out all the diesels are worked on by one tech - who has diesel training at UTI.

Makes me breathe a little easier
Torque - I know the highs and lows.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:12 PM

update 3

they are replacing another valve that is signaling "false". don't recall which the name of the valve but I will report when I see the paperwork. their theory is that some of the components of my 2009 are not compatible with the new software that goes with the updated EGR valve. I don't know if the parts they are replacing (2 NOX sensors and this valve) are also updated versions. I will ask.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg601 View Post
they are replacing another valve that is signaling "false". don't recall which the name of the valve but I will report when I see the paperwork. their theory is that some of the components of my 2009 are not compatible with the new software that goes with the updated EGR valve. I don't know if the parts they are replacing (2 NOX sensors and this valve) are also updated versions. I will ask.
What an ordeal. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ335D View Post

The first several times I took my car in, I quizzed the service advisor - asked him to make sure he knew it was a diesel, how many diesels they work on - he personally had 6 in that week. Turns out all the diesels are worked on by one tech - who has diesel training at UTI.

Makes me breathe a little easier
Yes every dealership is supposed to have atleast 1 diesel technician.

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Old 01-04-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg601 View Post
got the NOX sensors replaced but the "check engine soon" light is back on. the dealer is now waiting for BMW engineers to come back from holiday to review the data.
On mine they replaced NOX sensors and an injector and it did not fix my Service engine light. After 2 weeks of research and multiple attempts by BMW to figure out what was going on they decided to check the intake. They found some pretty bad carbon buildup and now replacing the entire intake system. Hopefully it fixes the SES light.

I wonder if we can block the EGR on these cars and re-program to get rid of the codes? (similar to the common practice done on diesel trucks - just simple metal plate blocks the EGR off)
Old 01-04-2012, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianNC81 View Post
I wonder if we can block the EGR on these cars and re-program to get rid of the codes? (similar to the common practice done on diesel trucks - just simple metal plate blocks the EGR off)
Good place to maybe ask would be Renntech since they are stateside and already selling custom ECU tuning for these. Some other places are coming online and perhaps even doing custom ECU tuning too but I do not know their names offhand.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM

update final (I hope)

got my car back with "check engine soon" resolved. I paid to replace a clogged EGR valve. BMW paid to replace 2 NOX sensors and metering valve after dealer advocated on my behalf. total cost to me $827. hopefully I get another trouble free 75K.