Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: E85
Arrow Z4: Unclog the drains on the soft-top?

We just had tons of rain in Toronto, ON and I am hearing the sound of water when driving. I quickly checked the luggage compartment / trunk and there is no water in there.

I found these instructions to unclog the drains on the soft-top: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63033

It sounds like I am on a boat

Does this sound like I need to unclog the drains on the soft-top to let water escape, or is this normal after it rains a lot?

Any tips or advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM
BMW Only Since 1972

Mein Auto: '06Z4, '05X3
Don't Need to Remove Splash Guard

The last poster on the Z-Post Thread said that you can see and reach the drains through a rectangular hole on the splash guard. Is that true ? (my Z4's in the shop, so I can't check right now). If it is, racingxtsy when you get under there, takes some clear, well-lit pictures of it and post them for the rest of us. Thanks....

Actually:
Driving 13th(E83) & 14th(E85) BMW's
Retired: 12 BMW's (1800, 2002, E30x3, E34, E36x2, E39x2, E46, E83)
Current: 7 BMW's in Family
Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
You can see the right side drain holes but NOT the left side. The left side is hidden under the hydraulic motor.

Here is a couple of pics of the holes with the top out of the car..

Right Side:

Left Side:
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E85 M-Roadster, E82 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thBMW View Post
The last poster on the Z-Post Thread said that you can see and reach the drains through a rectangular hole on the splash guard. Is that true ? (my Z4's in the shop, so I can't check right now). If it is, racingxtsy when you get under there, takes some clear, well-lit pictures of it and post them for the rest of us. Thanks....
Yes, you can see the drains from underneath, the outlet is the rubber "star' like object you can see if you look through the rectangular hole in the splash guard at the right angle, in front of the rear wheel. A soft pipe cleaner or similar can be fed in from underneath, if you bend it the right way.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: E85

Yes, you don't have to take any plastic covers off to remove the drain plug underneath. This should save people from breaking and replacing the rivets.

Just jack the car up using a low profile jack (mine barely made it) and use jack stands (1) to secure the vehicle.

Crawl underneath and look for a rectangular shaped cut-out in the plastic, right by the rear wheel.

At the right angle you should see a black round drain plug in the top left hand corner. You can see a picture of it in the link I posted above. Pull the drain plug straight out. Some leaves and crap should come out.

If you have a pipe cleaner you can fish it up there to free up any debris, and allow for the proper flow of water. I didn't have any pipe cleaners, so I used a nice thin, strong branch from my mulberry tree!

If you can use compressed air (or vacuum cleaner in reverse mode) it would work best, just follow the directions in the post above, but don't bother removing the plastics - it's a waste of time.

In the end, I think I overreacted and the "water noise" I heard was likely the gas in the gas tank.

Thanks for your helpful responses.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Here is a link for a How-To.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63033
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: z4 2.5i roadster
Has anyone tried a can of 'air' like the ones used for cleaning computer keyboards and the like. It might be the easy solution ! Either that or a pressure hose to force the debris down.

I have a question about the star thingy. Why is it there (I'm guessing to stop the crap from flowing upward from the road whilst driving) . There must be a better solution. Maybe an open hole (open rubber tubing) with a splash guard over it to stop the upward thrust of road water from the wheels.

Last edited by cruisingdog; 08-22-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingdog View Post
Has anyone tried a can of 'air' like the ones used for cleaning computer keyboards and the like. It might be the easy solution ! Either that or a pressure hose to force the debris down.

I have a question about the star thingy. Why is it there (I'm guessing to stop the crap from flowing upward from the road whilst driving) . There must be a better solution. Maybe an open hole (open rubber tubing) with a splash guard over it to stop the upward thrust of road water from the wheels.

Canned Air is not powerful enough, at least to me. I used my air compressor..along with flushing the debris out with water.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 and Z4
Any chance of re-posting with the pictures, or e-mail to bwmoffit@hotmail.com?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:49 PM

http://www.shipkiller.com/General_Info_Page.html
Old 01-09-2012, 04:02 PM
is a Texan

Mein Auto: '09 135 - 6MT - TwinTs
THANKS a million, Shipkiller, been looking for more detailed photos for a while.

2004 325Ci - 5MT - SOLD & MISSED
2003 3.0 Z4 - 6MT - SOLD
1967 1602 - 4MT - STOLEN
2008 328XI - 6MT - EX STOLE
1995 325i - RUSTED AWAY
2009 135i - COPS IMPOUNDING