Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Diesel pump observations

Does anyone know why the diesel pumps ( at least in my area ) do not have a credit card reader on the pump itself like the gasoline pumps? I find myself having to request the pump use by going inside instead of having the convenience of paying directly at the pump, not a major issue just wondering why, if anyone knows.
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW X5, xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Does anyone know why the diesel pumps ( at least in my area ) do not have a credit card reader on the pump itself like the gasoline pumps? I find myself having to request the pump use by going inside instead of having the convenience of paying directly at the pump, not a major issue just wondering why, if anyone knows.
No idea. I'd guess it's about the cost of upgrading the pump vs. the amount of diesel they sell.

In my neck of the woods (Iowa), I haven't noticed this being the case. Only about 30% of the stations have diesel, but with those that do, I've not found one that doesn't have "pay at pump".
Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e90, e46iT, 6.0
i find this to be more on the pumps that are commercially oriented. probably something to do with fleet accounts like Fuelman, maybe the readers don't work for those type charge accounts.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Must be a regional issue, or the station brand. Are other majors in your area like that too? Around here, all the brands are pay at the pump. Diesel is integrated with Unleaded and not a separate pump. Other things to consider when shopping for diesel fuel are whether or not biodiesel has been blended in, and the cetane level. Some states (eg. CA,TX) mandate a minimum cetane level, while others do not. You should know what the cetane level is of the fuel you are purchasing.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
It seems be be more of an issue in the eastern states. I suspect it has something to do with past demand, where more rural areas, such as the West and Midwest have historically had more of demand from diesel pickup trucks in past years, as compared the highly-populated Eastern areas, where non-commercial demand is a more recent phenomenon.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: German
Yup, I agree. It's annoying having to do to the store, hand the clerk your credit card, and then argue with them for 5 minutes about how your "beemer" isn't a diesel and should take normal gas.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkratochvil View Post
No idea. I'd guess it's about the cost of upgrading the pump vs. the amount of diesel they sell.

In my neck of the woods (Iowa), I haven't noticed this being the case. Only about 30% of the stations have diesel, but with those that do, I've not found one that doesn't have "pay at pump".
werd

I run into the occasional older pump mixed in with the newer gas pumps, but its definitely the exception.

Jay
Old 01-08-2012, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
All of the pumps that I have used have credit card slots. I have run into two in 25,500 miles that have had card slots that were not working though. You get that with gasoline also.

Chuck
Old 01-09-2012, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5d
come to California we have integrated them for many years.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:20 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
My guess: unlike petrol, a great many diesel sales (think box truck, F350 dually, etc.) exceed the $75 maximum many credit cards allow. Putting $250 of diesel into your rig? Got to come into the store anyway. So why should the store spend the $$$ on the card reader and such, just to cater to elite snobs with their trendy furrin cars?

I am likely dead wrong, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-10-2012, 04:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Finally found a diesel pump with a card reader ( YAY) Sunoco station on the NJ Turnpike today, only issue the " intelligent gas jockey " refused to pump diesel unless I proved to him that the truck took diesel , at first he kept insisting I was on the wrong side of the pumps,second time this has happened, I guess if I went on the gas side he would have pumped gasoline into my tank, no questions asked!

Last edited by ductman; 01-10-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
Finally found a diesel pump with a card reader ( YAY) Sunoco station on the NJ Turnpike today, only issue the " intelligent gas jockey " refused to pump diesel unless I proved to him that the truck took diesel , at first he kept insisting I was on the wrong side of the pumps,second time this has happened, I guess if I went on the gas side he would have pumped gasoline into my tank, no questions asked!
Is your state one of those wonderful (like Oregon) that doesn't let you pump your own fuel?
They do seem to hire geniuses, who in other states, would have been unemployed.

When you open the tank cover, it clearly states "Diesel Only" in plain English.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Is your state one of those wonderful (like Oregon) that doesn't let you pump your own fuel?
They do seem to hire geniuses, who in other states, would have been unemployed.

When you open the tank cover, it clearly states "Diesel Only" in plain English.
Yup. I've been there done that.

I have family in NJ and was driving through Newark. Went to a station to get diesel for the X5. Guy refused to sell me diesel until I could prove to him it was a diesel. And he wouldn't believe the "d" badges on the sides, etc. ****ing ridiculous