Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-11-2012, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
moisture in headlight

Anybody had problems with moisture inside the low beam headlight? The lights are very dim at night due to the moisture. Can this be dried somehow? Thanks !
Ads by Google
Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 530i
Probably a leak in seal between lens and headlight, they are two separate pieces on our cars. Remove the chrome trim ring and seal the lens with some kind of exterior caulk, let dry and reinstall trim ring.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Thanks jfs356, how much work/time is involved in resealing the the lens? Any place I can get instructions?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 94 525i
What I did was took my moms hair dryer and heated the outer edges of the lens. It does take a little while, but be consistent with the heating. Use a knife or a flat blade screw driver and gently pull the glass away from the housing.

When It comes off you clean up the lens and go to Auto Zone (or some other auto specialized store) and get some headlight sealant. It's really not hard.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
You can also bake the Headlight assembly, but this only works for ellipsoid lenses, NOT the freeforms.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees (F). This temp will not melt the plastic.
Put your apron on.
place the head light assembly on a baking/cookie sheet with the lens up!
Carefully put in on the center rack for 5-10mins.
Do not leave it in for more than 20 mins.

Take it out with oven mitts, Caution: glass will be hot, the rest will be cool.
Buy some nice contractors grade clear silicone sealant at any hardware store (I used Alex Plus II silicone sealant, took a long time to dry but it was worth the 2 days w/out headlights).
Make sure you get a jewelers flathead screw driver to scrape out the 20 yr. old sealant.

IF after doing this you still have moisture, ask your GF/sig other to lend you an old shoe box.
Find the little Silica Gel packet (the one with beads in it) that they put in it. Should say DO NOT EAT.
like this:

Tie a string to the Silica packet so you can pull it out of the headlight bulb hole in the back.
Leave the Silica Packet in there for a few days, it will suck the moisture out like magic, the bigger the packet the faster the moisture will go.

Last edited by paperplane94; 01-12-2012 at 10:02 PM.