Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Exclamation 2006/07 BMW Assist Disconnect

First Post (Figured I would try here)

I have been looking for information in regards to disconnecting BMW Assist. (I realize I COULD take it to a BMW dealership and PAY for this however I would sooner save the costs for the rest of the equipment going into the vehicle)

That being said I have seen on other posts/forums that it is possible to disable/disconnect the BMW Assist Control Panel. However before we start tearing the crap out of this vehicle I would like to ask the following:

On a 2006/2007 BMW X5 Where is the Control Panel for the BMW Assist Located? (Ive seen pictures of other vehicles (BMW) that show its a big silver box located in the rear of the vehicel)

What effects could this have by disconnecting the BMW Assist Console from the actual vehicle? (Mechanically)(Would the vehicle still run, drive and operate fine?)

As stated before this will be for our new company vehicle so we will be installing our own equipment that is connect to our dispatching software and dont really want another 3rd party using there devices to track our companys movements.

Any questions please post. Also if you have pictures of what you describe it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

** Would disconnecting the areal be a better option?

Last edited by SexyX5; 01-15-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Uh, do you realize that the 2006 E53 and 2007 E70 are two COMPLETELY different vehicles: body style, electronics, everything?

I hope that if anyone here knows the answer to your question they don't post it. One of the benefits of BMW Assist is stolen vehicle tracking, and we really don't need instructions on how to disable that floating around the web.

If you are really worried about a "third party" (e.g. law enforcement) tracking you, remember never to carry a cell phone. Unless like the X5, the phone is stolen.

Sent from my HTC Inspire using BimmerApp

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D
When I bought my 2010 X5 I had to sign a release for them to be legal for them to track me. I assume that if you called BMW Assist they would be able to tell you how to revoke that release.
BMW Assist - 888-333-6118

Chuck
Old 01-15-2012, 06:05 PM

In Response

In response to the first reply,

Our company has purchased 3 BMW X5 2006 Models and 2 BMW X5 2007 Models. These vehicles will be used for Executive Protections/Client Transport.

We will be installing our Tough Books and other satellite equipment to the vehicle in which WE can track it. If somebody does have the anwser and doesnt want to post it here PLEASE PM ME. As I do appreciate the concern for people using that information in a Non Law Abidding Way.

Secondly I do not apprecaite the indirect/direct comments stating that my stuff would be stolen.

Chuck,

Thank You for the Number however speaking we did not have to sign a release when we purchased these vehicles. SO I do not believe that the release would matter. However I could be wrong.

And Lastly...
On our 2007 models they are Keyless ... So if someone can manage to steal this without a key than they deserve the damn thing. Thats why we have company insurance.
Thanks

Last edited by SexyX5; 01-15-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
If these X5's were purchased used I would assume that the original purchaser would have signed the release and it would still be active unless BMW Assist knew that there was a new owner. If they were purchased new then I guess that it would not apply.
Also I guess a hardware disconnect would be more secure.

Chuck
Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
The first post seems to pre-suppose that BMW tracks cars outside of either an "assist request" or a confirmed "stolen vehicle locate request".

So I guess I'll comment that if your business and your clients are such that someone could hack/access these systems....YOU should not be asking this question here (publicly) but rather your staff (or tech consultants) ought to know.

(I'd access the BMW electronics via coding and see if I could disable it....)

A
Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Switch of Vehicles

Currently we are using GMC vehicles and our In House Techs know how to work on them. However speaking BMW and GMC are two completely different vehicles.

That being said we "receive" these vehicles on Wednesday and have a client pickup within a time frame that would warrant just doing a quick fix. So now I am trying to find a quick fix to a temp problem. Next week we can go through the whole thing and schedule something at the dealership but that wont be till next week.

I was hoping that I would be able to get a quick answer to if I were to disconnect the TCU or Antenna if there would be any real long term problems or short term. I realize that we wouldn't be able to use the Bluetooth tech. and such but what else would it screw up?

Secondly I was wondering what they look like(The TCU box and what cord is for the antenna) so that I dont wreck the thing.

Thanks

* Also to be completely honest. When we first started utilizing these newer vehicles our Tech Guys HYPOTHETICALLY found our vehicle without calling Onstar or any other company. They did it simply from there laptops. We dont want to take a chance with our client that is coming

Last edited by SexyX5; 01-15-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

^^ I'd want to get educated and not trust the dealership.

Here you go...for a start.

A
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 07a_E70 Information and Communication.pdf (372.9 KB, 205 views)
Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyX5 View Post
On our 2007 models they are Keyless ... So if someone can manage to steal this without a key than they deserve the damn thing. Thats why we have company insurance.
Thanks
Not that hard, actually. Happened to Becks twice:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/03/b...oting-thieves/

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-15-2012, 08:22 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Secondly I do not apprecaite the indirect/direct comments stating that my stuff would be stolen.
From my perspective, you are a new member who has never posted before, with a screen name that sounds like anything but a legitimate business, showing up and asking how to disable a system that provides stolen vehicle recovery. And your original post made it sound like you didn't know the difference between an E53 and an E70.

So yeah, you sounded pretty sketchy. And even if you are in the corprorate security business (employing 6-model-year-old used vehicles, whose reliability may be suspect), I still hope no one posts explicit details here, in case others with more nefarious thoughts find it in a Google search.

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
First Post (Figured I would try here)

I have been looking for information in regards to disconnecting BMW Assist. (I realize I COULD take it to a BMW dealership and PAY for this however I would sooner save the costs for the rest of the equipment going into the vehicle)

That being said I have seen on other posts/forums that it is possible to disable/disconnect the BMW Assist Control Panel. However before we start tearing the crap out of this vehicle I would like to ask the following:

On a 2006/2007 BMW X5 Where is the Control Panel for the BMW Assist Located? (Ive seen pictures of other vehicles (BMW) that show its a big silver box located in the rear of the vehicel)

What effects could this have by disconnecting the BMW Assist Console from the actual vehicle? (Mechanically)(Would the vehicle still run, drive and operate fine?)

As stated before this will be for our new company vehicle so we will be installing our own equipment that is connect to our dispatching software and dont really want another 3rd party using there devices to track our companys movements.

Any questions please post. Also if you have pictures of what you describe it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

** Would disconnecting the areal be a better option?
I'm confused. I don't understand why you want to remove the assist TCU ecu. If the assist account isn't active then the ecu won't do anything including tracking.

That said the 2006 x5s used the old I-bus architecture. You can simply unplug the TCU. I-bus doesn't require termination or loop back. You'll loose the telephone menu item and BT phone will no longer be functional.

That's it.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 PM

I understand your suspicions and completely agree. The main purpose is to disable our GPS systems on it. I realize as a first time poster this my sound sketchy but we are limited by time.

After enough research the idea to disable the system was the best that we could come up with the time frame we have. Upon next week we will go about the proper way to disable this software we do not want to leave it by chance.

Myself I really dont know much about BMW's however I do know quite a bit about Executive Protections. My screen name was pretty much just thought up. Not really any meaning. As I did state in my first post that it was in fact my first post. It was more of a last resort kinda deal to post on here.

Although those both being said I have received the information that is needed for rewiring till twe can go about doing it properly.

I will post up on Wednesday or Thursday on the results and such.

Although these are all USED vehicles they do all come from the BMW Dealership. So reliability is better then buying independent.

Questions or such .. Let me know
Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
07's are a bit different. Unplug and use loop back for the most connector.

As for concern about this stuff floating around on the net ... We've posted all sorts of info on here about switching TCUs with combox etc etc ... If someone wants to steal a car they will and BMW assist stolen vehicle recovery will do nothing . It's just all nonsense marketing to get you to keep paying for the service.

Again though all theses services are only active if you have a subscription to the service.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Fair enough. If you spend more time here you will learn a lot more about the vehicles; but I "get" the time sensitivity on this issue.

One thing many buyers have learned - the hard way - is that buying a used BMW from a dealership is no guarantee of reliability. Even the much hyped CPO certification can be pretty much of a joke. Hopefully that won't be your experience, at least with clients on board.

You don't mention whether or not your X5's are the armored "Protection" models (not sure that was available for the E53, but I do think it was / is offered for the E70). If so, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts, as I don't know anyone who's owned / driven an X5 Protection.

Good luck.

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
As for concern about this stuff floating around on the net ... We've posted all sorts of info on here about switching TCUs with combox etc etc ... If someone wants to steal a car they will and BMW assist stolen vehicle recovery will do nothing . It's just all nonsense marketing to get you to keep paying for the service.

Again though all theses services are only active if you have a subscription to the service.
Yes and no. We all know a determined thief can and will steal anything. And the biggest benefit I get from the Stolen Vehicle Tracking is the discount on my auto policy. (If any of my cars is stolen, I really don't want it back. Been there, done that, and I'd rather they stuck it on a boat to Venezuela and the insurance company paid the claim).

But a "casual" car thief is probably not going to Google "TCU Combox Replacement" and connect the dots. But "disable BMW assist" is a different story. I just Googled it, and got 10 pages of hits.

"Just because I am paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get me."

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM

quackbury,

As you mentioned that you can learn alot on here. Which means this is probably the place to go to get help without spending a whole bunch of Money at BMW on some tech that wont give us any input.

As for the reason that we bought a few the reason for this is that if something is to happen we would have a secondary vehicle there immediately.

As to the Armor Spec's. I cant actually talk about our client vehicles that we are currently using except for saying our GMC's are majority armored. It doesnt matter what kind of vehicle you have you are able to have it armored.

We HAD a Armored 1998 7 Series a while back and I tell you it was the sexiest vehicle to drive. Very Heavy but was alot of the time what are clients/returning customers would request.

The one other thing with armored vehicles. Even though the gas tanks are switched with larger models they are hard on gas and it cost a fortune to fill up.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Why disable the GPS???????

Make absolutely ZERO sense. Unless you don't know how GPS systems work.

For a security point of view, you don't want the car telling anyone where it is- the CAR can know where it is, but it should not have a functioning telematics to report GPS.

Hence disabling GPS is not necessary- unless you think the satellites track the car. ::
Old 01-16-2012, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
From my perspective, you are a new member who has never posted before, with a screen name that sounds like anything but a legitimate business, showing up and asking how to disable a system that provides stolen vehicle recovery. And your original post made it sound like you didn't know the difference between an E53 and an E70.

So yeah, you sounded pretty sketchy. And even if you are in the corprorate security business (employing 6-model-year-old used vehicles, whose reliability may be suspect), I still hope no one posts explicit details here, in case others with more nefarious thoughts find it in a Google search.
I agree, I have a hard time believing that someone who is a " true professional " in any business comes on a forum looking for advice, what would your " clients" think of this, you would be the last person I would hire if I was aware of this, in other words, I think this thread is BS
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Why disable the GPS???????
Why not just SPOOF the GPS, like the Iranians did to our UAV last month, or like the Israelis did to the Costa Concordia over the weekend?

Yes, you heard it here first. The two "elderly gentlemen" found dead wearing life jackets were actually Iranian nuclear scientists on holiday. The Mossad spoofed the GPS, sent the ship up on the rocks, then killed the scientists with a lethal injection in the resulting melee.

The team leader for this mission? Tom CRUISE. Innocent coincidence? Not.

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic