Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-15-2012, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
oil top off for new 2011 535i xdrive?

hey guys, in november my family and i bought a brand new 535i x drive and i remember talking to the sales representative about topping the oil off when we have almost reached 3k kms. since the car doesnt come with a dipstick how much oil should i put in? ive never topped off a vehicles oil (yes i am a noob) so anyone wanna help out? thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535xi,328xiC
You can measure the oil level in the iDrive menu. I wouldn't put in any oil if you're uncomfortable doing it. You don't want to overfill. If you have a friendly dealer you might ask them to check. If the car is telling you its okay, I'd leave it or get someone who is familiar with it to check.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Yeah I measured with the i drive menu and it says it's fine. But just concerned cause we are getting close to the 3k mark b
Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

You should be fine unless the idrive system tells you otherwise.
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:43 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicbanwait View Post
hey guys, in november my family and i bought a brand new 535i x drive and i remember talking to the sales representative about topping the oil off when we have almost reached 3k kms. since the car doesnt come with a dipstick how much oil should i put in? ive never topped off a vehicles oil (yes i am a noob) so anyone wanna help out? thanks in advance
Sounds like another clueless sales rep.

Personally at this point I would change it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM

the thing is they never mentioned anything about changing all the oil, it makes sense to top it off because a new engine tends to use more oil. ill just give em a call and get them to do it. thanks everyone for the help!
Old 01-16-2012, 12:21 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
The oil level display in iDrive shows the oil level in 1/4 quart intervals. So, there are 4 "ticks" between "max" and "min", which indicates 1 full quart low. If yours is still showing "max", don't do anything. Mine uses very little oil, but I topped off at 1/2 quart prior to my first oil change at 8200 miles. Also, if you do add oil, be aware that the display does not react immediately. You might drive around for 10 miles or so before the indicator moves back up again. I think this is done so the display doesn't normally fluctuate very much at all while driving. except when the level is just at the threshold of the next 1/4 quart interval.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm

Last edited by markl53; 01-16-2012 at 12:24 PM.