Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 10-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 98 M3 sedan
First winter with my m3....

Hello all,

I live in Colorado and it is starting to get colder here and this will be my first winter in my m3 and I'm just looking for some input on what I can expect as far as driving in the snow? I have new Nexen n3000 tires on the back but can't really afford snow tires right now! I have spent many winters driving mustang gt's in the snow. They suck but I seem to get around alright. Last winter I had a 95 318is and it wasn't too bad. Any input or comparison would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance
Ryan
Advertisement
Old 10-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
If you know how to drive in snow you'll be fine. The trick (for me at least) in a RWD car like the E36 was to pay close attention to slippage, and turn traction control off. It might be more difficult in an M3 with more torque than my old 328i 4D. Even with just all-season tires I was able to get to work in 2ft+ snow (while still snowing) when everyone else there had big AWD trucks. Tires really make a world of difference, but barring that, it's up to the driver.

Also there's a joke going around that in case of snow, drive in reverse, instant FWD

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 98 M3 sedan
Lol.... I'll have to remember that joke!!! It's definitely not my first winter with RWD. I've had several RWD cars during the winter. I do wish I had all season tires on the back though!!! I think RWD can be a lot of fun in the snow. Just hate dealing with other drivers. I had a 2001 mustang gt with well over 300 rwhp and if people were in the way and I had to poke up a hill I was usually in bad shape. Momentum is huge!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wop52 View Post
Lol.... I'll have to remember that joke!!! It's definitely not my first winter with RWD. I've had several RWD cars during the winter. I do wish I had all season tires on the back though!!! I think RWD can be a lot of fun in the snow. Just hate dealing with other drivers. I had a 2001 mustang gt with well over 300 rwhp and if people were in the way and I had to poke up a hill I was usually in bad shape. Momentum is huge!!!
Bingo. I was lucky that one day there weren't many people on the road, so I was able to tackle this big hill (about 500 ft elevation over 1/4 mile) by getting some speed going down and just maintaining on the climb. Pretty wild being on a highway going 30mph and still feeling like it was too fast!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
m3 evo

Mein Auto: m3 evo
i would consider myself a resonable winter driver. driving rwd cars since i could drive.but i have to put my m3 away when the ice and snow arrives. its a nightmare, no front end grip. it just follows it big heavy nose around and refuse's to go in a straght line. good grip on the back for a rwd though. drove home on the grass verg several times. i have an subaru forrestor for the winter.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M3 sc
It's all about tires. Summer performance tires will try and kill you when the tempatrure gets below 40F, let alone snow or ice.

The E36 is a great car in bad weather, PROVIDED you have the correct tires. If you can't afford them, you probably can't afford owning an M3...

Otherwise, dibs on some parts when you crash it...
Old 01-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Bimmer Lover

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e34
Get some SNOW TIRES off of Craigslist. We have a 97 M3/4/A with Hancook Snow Tires all around and she drives quite safely.

I also have a 95 540/6 with Michelin Arctic Alpins all around, that I found on Craigslist for $300.00

$300.00 is a lot less than what it could ultimately cost you without Snow Tires! I have tried an E36 on the snow with summer tires and with all seasons and they suck. However, Snow tires transforms the e36 into a car that is safe and even fun in the snow!

Last edited by sarends; 01-18-2012 at 10:34 AM.