Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:14 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
steering vibration

Had my winetr tires installed a couple of months ago.. don't drive the truck much. Well today was the first day since the tire change that I drove past 90 km and let me tell you the steering vibration was something else I had to slow down or felt like the front tires were going to come off. It's -22 this morning thinking that any possible snow/ice would of been stuck but everything looks clear. On another note a couple of days ago my clock display came on and since then no time on the clock. Just find it strange to loose the time?

any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
2009 bmw x5 4.8i

Last edited by X5M; 01-19-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
Balance the rims front and back..or check your air preassure
Old 01-19-2012, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien2012 View Post
Balance the rims front and back..or check your air preassure
I would think the bmw dealer would of balanced the tires when they changed them? the TPS is fine.

Last edited by X5M; 01-19-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M View Post
Had my winetr tires installed a couple of months ago.. don't drive the truck much. Well today was the first day since the tire change that I drove past 90 km and let me tell you the steering vibration was something else I had to slow down or felt like the front tires were going to come off. It's -22 this morning thinking that any possible snow/ice would of been stuck but everything looks clear. On another note a couple of days ago my clock display came on and since then no time on the clock. Just find it strange to loose the time?

2009 bmw x5 4.8i
Have the tires been road forced balanced by a Hunter GPS 9700, even if the dealer has one, they need to be calibrated on a daily basis, if not, you will end up with a vibration.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 xDrive35d
Tire Vibration

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M View Post

2009 bmw x5 4.8i
I had a sinilar issue last year on my car. I thought it was the alignment or steering issue. The dealer returned me the car stating that I needed a wheel alignment and to book an appointment for it. I was not happy going on a 3000 km trip the next day so I took the car to a tire shop guy I had used in the past. He checked it over and found the bolts were loose on the driver side front wheel. If the wheel had come off on my trip going through the mountain passes at high speed, I am not sure if I would be writing about it now. The dealer was useless when I made them aware of what they missed out. They could have been more thorough.

For sure if the vibration is still there after checking the wheel nuts, it may a balancing or alignment issue.

Did you re-torque the wheels after a few days when you went over to your winter set? If not, you have loose wheel nuts.

Do let us know how you resolved the issue.