Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Diesel CEL Questions

I have searched thru many posts on this forum and X Outpost about the X5D, thankfully on mine ( have approx 2000 miles ) no issues, it appears that many of the issues
concerning emission related faults have creeped up in the 9-10k mile range, I do realize that the CEL can have many related issues , my questions are as follows :

1. Many of the faults seem to be related to the EGR and Temp sensors, is this due
to " sensitive" BMW software that throws a fault at the slightest deviation from norm ?
2. Could it be related to the driving style ( short trips, no highway runs ) ?
3. Is the EGR issue related to carbon buildup hence, the 9-10k issue ?
4. Has these issues been resolved with later builds and if so if anyone knows the
build dates ?
5. Are these issues in the minority as threads are started by mainly owners with issues.
6. Also, do direct injection diesel motors suffer from carbon buildup as gas direct
engines do ?
I would appreciate any responses from longer term diesel owners and the more experienced board members, I might be a little bit paranoid but in no way am I having
any buyers remorse, I am absolutely extremely satisfied.
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d
In short - yes, you're paranoid. And no, there's no carbon buildup in diesel engines.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ductman View Post
1. Many of the faults seem to be related to the EGR and Temp sensors, is this due
to " sensitive" BMW software that throws a fault at the slightest deviation from norm ?
Precisely my belief. Although calling it 'sensitive' is gracious...I'd say poorly engineered and executed.

I say this having lifed through multiple pathces, EGR repairs, 60 days in the shop, a lemon and thousands of posts read on the subject.

Quote:
2. Could it be related to the driving style ( short trips, no highway runs ) ?
Not in my opinion, but really no data to speak of...

Quote:
3. Is the EGR issue related to carbon buildup hence, the 9-10k issue ?
I don't think so, it seems to be variable- some had it at 200 miles.

Quote:
4. Has these issues been resolved with later builds and if so if anyone knows the
build dates ?
I think it was resolved, and IS BEING resolved by virtue of software roll outs, upgrades and the recall of the 2010s.

Quote:
5. Are these issues in the minority as threads are started by mainly owners with issues.
Yes.

Quote:
6. Also, do direct injection diesel motors suffer from carbon buildup as gas direct
engines do ?
Don't think so.