Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 E89 23i
Question Condensation in headlights

Dear BMW fans,

Since October 2011 I'm the proud owner of a black 2009 BMW E89. This is my first post on this forum, regarding a question about condensation in the headlights of this beamer.

The strange thing is, it seems that both of the headlights are suffering from this (please see the attached pictures).

To be precise, I'm talking about the white 'fog' that is on the inside of the outer glass on both the headlights on bottom of the pictures.

Now that it happens to both of the headlights, I'm beginning to doubt..
is this perfectly normal?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000135.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	308811   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000136.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	308812  

Last edited by timoturbo; 01-19-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2012, 03:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
My F12 does this in both headlights. I thought it was bad at first, but being bilateral I had high hopes that it was normal. I asked my Service Manager and he said that the headlights are vented to allow moisture in and out, which prevents "yellowing" of the headlights. The condensation thing in the headlights is actually also published in my car's manual so I can safely assume it is normal. Not too sure about 2009 models though.

Also, looking at the pics of your car, it appears as if it was sitting in the rain or you just washed it, indicating visible moisture. That's exactly when the manual said it would be seen and normal, going away after a few minutes of running the headlamps. Slight condensation like that should be ok. Bad is when you see big droplets of water...

Last edited by Itinj6; 01-19-2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 AM

Thank you Itinj6! You are correct that the car was standing in the rain when the pictures were made.

Last week I've spotted the condensation for the first time on one headlight only (was not raining, but it was very cold).
The car had to go to the dealer anyway and they told me a rubber seal was incorrectly positioned and that this should be fixed.
I do remember that back then it looked like a different kind of moisture, indeed a larger spot with thicker drops of water. It seems like this is gone for the moment.

I will check if the condensation will be gone when it stops raining.. thx

Last edited by timoturbo; 01-19-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 sDrive 23i space grey
I had that when i first had my Zed in 2009 and I think it was a common thing!
Mine cleared up when the lights were on and has never come back (that i've noticed) if it continues in both and doesn't burn off I'd get the dealer to look at it.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM

Thanks Lux, I had another look at the headlights after a 1 hour trip today (the rain also stopped) and the condensation seems gone.

I will keep an eye on them