Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-18-2012, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i xDrive
Update base stereo 528

I'm lovin' my 2012 528i with one quibble -- stock stereo is terrible!

I've had premium sound on previous cars and hate to say that the stock system doesn't have the articulation or prescence that a sound system should have in a $60k car.

If i were custom building, I would have done the premium sound, but unfortunately my local dealer had my ideal car (minus sound) so I went for it.

How easy is the DIY to upgrade the front tweeters? Also, are their parts of the premium sound I can upgrade, eg. equalizer, amplifier, speakers, etc. I dont need the low end to be upgraded (eg. don't need another sub) just want more clarity in the mid range and high end...
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
Not sure I would want to mess with the interior and swapping out speakers etc...
2011 535i, 06/11 Build, Black Sapphire, Black Dakota, Dark Wood, 6mt, PP 1 & 2, Premium Sound, Soft Close Doors, Convenience, Driver Assist, Cold Weather, Nav, SAT, 35% Suntek Tint, BMWPedals, Coded, Xpel Paint Prot.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I did an upgrade on my previous 2008 328..I added a JL 8W7 sub in a custom box that dropped into the spare tire area (not visible when looking in the trunk)..Added Focal mids and tweeters along with a JL amp for the sub and speakers..Used a signal processor off the factory head unit (NAV)..Sounded amazing and was a fairly simple install..If you looked at the car you would have no idea there was any after market components..I still have the gear and may add it to my F10..Nothing sucks more than bad audio! (not booming bass but good quality audio)
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryj View Post
I'm lovin' my 2012 528i with one quibble -- stock stereo is terrible!

I've had premium sound on previous cars and hate to say that the stock system doesn't have the articulation or prescence that a sound system should have in a $60k car.

If i were custom building, I would have done the premium sound, but unfortunately my local dealer had my ideal car (minus sound) so I went for it.

How easy is the DIY to upgrade the front tweeters? Also, are their parts of the premium sound I can upgrade, eg. equalizer, amplifier, speakers, etc. I dont need the low end to be upgraded (eg. don't need another sub) just want more clarity in the mid range and high end...
I completely agree. PA is the only thing I regret on not getting. I had it in my 335i and the difference is noticeable. Please keep us updated on the upgrade. I'd love to know what I can do without replacing the head unit of course.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Unfortunately, there's very little incentive for BMW to upgrade the base stereo when they have an option that improves it which also puts a few extra $K in their pockets.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)