Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8is
Pano sunroof just one of the problems or should I say Common problems that we have

I hate to say this, but our X5 4.8is is also a victim of this. I know that every time we have something wrong with our X5 all I hear is that is common.

We have so much happening to a High dollar car it is sad. Why does everyone accept that it is common?

I don't understand I know lower end cars that have almost no problems, and American cars that run forever. Is that not why we buy BMW to have a great quality car? With less to go wrong and long lasting enjoyment?

I hate to say this, but after 5 BMW's this one has got me wondering were they are going in the future with the car company.

X5 4.8is well over maintained.... 83,000 miles

#1 Panaramic sunroof back section will not open. and the cloth between the (2) pieces of glass needed to be changed. it was cracked and dried out allowing it to leak in to the tray that split it, and then into the car. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#2 Headlight wiper motor is leaking out the reservoir. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#3 Seat heater is burning on the right side of the seat And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#4 Air Bags have fallen and will not allow the car to go up. (Been replacing them 1 x 1) And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#5 The window regulators are breaking and need to be replaced 1 x 1. This is a very stupid thing I have had this happen on my other BMW's and it seems as if they have not fixed it yet WTF BMW. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#6 The Door hand on the out side to open the door broke. It is a small part in the door that cost 250.00 and another 250.00 to install WTF I tried to get this done with the regulator and they wanted 750.00 to fix both. I am not a mechanic, but I put the back one in. for 135.00 myself. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#7 The Navigation screen is Pixelating. In case you don't know what that means. It is loosing Pixels that creat the picture they are not working this leaves the screen with small dead squares, and as the accumulate it has dead black patches all over the screen. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#8. The Buttons on the HOME LINK are rubbing off! Not sure why they would make it with a spray over coating. Once again on just about all these issues is BMW not better then the other guy. And if so why are we paying this much for there cars. And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#8.5 Almost forgot. the fan on low has a very high pitched squeaking noise, and the buttons on the Heater control are falling off. And I am told this is common on all BMW's WTF

#9 The Transmission about 35-40 mph you would hold your speed steady and it would start down then up shifting very rapidly. I was told because the Fluid would get dirty attach dirt the the band and sensors inside and cause this problem. ow And I am told this is common on all BMW's

#9 This is separate but I believe goes with #10 as you will read. But the dip stick is not reading the oil level correct. I know this cause after just about every test you can preform as you will read in #10. We drained the oil and put exact amount of oil in the car. it did not show up on the stick. This is not common, but one mechanic the last has told me the 4.6is and the 4.8is was back to back build and they have heard stories the wrong oil pain was put on the 4.8is motor as it would bolt up the decisions were different. As the dip stick checks out it is the appropriate one with the correct length and part number.
#10 OK here is one of the last things I can remember and this is the biggest issue for joining any BMW board and telling my story of this BMW.
The Engine is smoking. Yes when it gets up to temp or even right before it starts to smoke. if you let it ideal it will leave the car behind you in a sea of smoke. This started about a year ago. We have put over 4000.00 into this with not a single mechanic (out of 3 companies) being able to find a problem. Our Local BMW shop told us with a service inspection that we need a motor. We ask how this cam about and the said they have seen this before. I ask what test they ran and the Mechanic was out to lunch and did not leave any notes. We will call you. No call. Next Mechanic. Sprayed the motor down. did a leak down a compression test and a whole lot of other test replace some valve that mixes are into the Block/ and or head. That was one recommendation from another forum. This all cost a wooing 1700.00 still no results. After some time and study they thought they had a fix called us in and explained some stuff they were going to try and do with no luck another 1200.00.

I was driving down the road and found another mechanic with German cars outside they had a 4.8is for sale so I stopped in the owner also a mechanic was all about the cars. He never heard of what was going on with mine except 1-8 all the common stuff of course. He did say he read a few things about the 4.8is and was curious if this was what was happening to ours.
The smoking problem could be from #9 and it has been overfilled all its life of 83,000 and built up in the exhaust. (don't get how come it took this long to smoke?) They check the pan it was the appropriate pan for the Model of the car WTF. They flushed the transmission to clean out the shifting problem and it seem to do the trick (then 1 month later it was back not as bad but it came back) this all cost around 1400.00 for diagnoses and flushing. I know this is not common as of what I know right now, Maybe it soon will be, but it is not yet. With all these problems can someone explain to me why I would by another BMW?