Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
palermo22 palermo22 is offline
Registered User
Location: California Central Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: Lexus IS 250
Doesn't Anyone Buy Anymore?

I became a member of Bimmerfest a little while ago - I'll probably wind up buying a 328 with European Delivery (just waiting to test drive and see the car in person). But the point I want to make is that it seems as though more people lease this car rather than buy. I realize there are business reasons to lease (tax write-off) and that those that don't keep their car longer than three/four years that leasing might be the way to go. However, I plan to keep the car at least six/eight years - as a long-time car buyer I have always done this on the basis that a car depreciates immensely the first few years and then slows down - meaning that once you get past year three the car is less expensive unless the manufacturer is not reliable and various problems pop up in the later years (hopefully, this will not be the case with the 328). Anyway, just wanted to see if there was something that I am not aware of by buying instead of leasing (while I had planned to buy with cash - getting a 1.99 or even 2.99 loan might change my mind - I don't like to have debt).
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 01-24-2012, 01:52 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,830
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Roughly 50% lease and the other half buys. There's no truly fiscally sound reason to lease except for business purchases. Otherwise leasing is really a lifestyle choice.

Just so you know, www.PenFed.org is a first rate credit union. Anyone can join. They have 1.99% financing currently up to 48 months, 2.49% to 60 months. Since they cater to the military they are very familiar with ED financing. Most other lenders are not. They get very nervous about not getting their lien perfected post haste. PenFed understands the process. BMWFS, of course, is the biggest lender for EDs. If you are eligible to join USAA they are also well versed with EDs. Are you a veteran? If so, you are eligible to join USAA. If you are eligible and are not a member I highly suggest joining. No one can touch their auto insurance rates. Their auto financing is usually right in line with PenFed's.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-24-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,352
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
Perhaps a lot of folks lease because they like the payment.

That said, for long-term buyers, it also makes sense to lease with an eventual plan to purchase. There are two reasons behind this logic: 1) If the car turns out to be a dud or you wreak it, you can unload it at the end of the lease and 2) if the car is worth less than the residual, you can often negotiate a lower buyout price -- effectively giving you another bite at the apple. The downside to the lease is that the cost of money (the effective APR) is often a little higher.
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM
palermo22 palermo22 is offline
Registered User
Location: California Central Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: Lexus IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Roughly 50% lease and the other half buys. There's no truly fiscally sound reason to lease except for business purchases. Otherwise leasing is really a lifestyle choice.

Just so you know, www.PenFed.org is a first rate credit union. Anyone can join. They have 1.99% financing currently up to 48 months, 2.49% to 60 months. Since they cater to the military they are very familiar with ED financing. Most other lenders are not. They get very nervous about not getting their lien perfected post haste. PenFed understands the process. BMWFS, of course, is the biggest lender for EDs. If you are eligible to join USAA they are also well versed with EDs. Are you a veteran? If so, you are eligible to join USAA. If you are eligible and are not a member I highly suggest joining. No one can touch their auto insurance rates. Their auto financing is usually right in line with PenFed's.
Thanks - I have been a USAA member for 25 years (I am a retired State Department Foreign Service Officer).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
justinnum1's Avatar
justinnum1 justinnum1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: South Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,732
Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
Thanks - I have been a USAA member for 25 years (I am a retired State Department Foreign Service Officer).
cool, so like CIA?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-24-2012, 03:24 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,604
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
I became a member of Bimmerfest a little while ago - I'll probably wind up buying a 328 with European Delivery (just waiting to test drive and see the car in person). But the point I want to make is that it seems as though more people lease this car rather than buy. I realize there are business reasons to lease (tax write-off) and that those that don't keep their car longer than three/four years that leasing might be the way to go. However, I plan to keep the car at least six/eight years - as a long-time car buyer I have always done this on the basis that a car depreciates immensely the first few years and then slows down - meaning that once you get past year three the car is less expensive unless the manufacturer is not reliable and various problems pop up in the later years (hopefully, this will not be the case with the 328). Anyway, just wanted to see if there was something that I am not aware of by buying instead of leasing (while I had planned to buy with cash - getting a 1.99 or even 2.99 loan might change my mind - I don't like to have debt).
Leasing is often a means to get into a vehicle which you cannot afford to buy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
palermo22 palermo22 is offline
Registered User
Location: California Central Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: Lexus IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
cool, so like CIA?
So, not exactly - but close!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM
palermo22 palermo22 is offline
Registered User
Location: California Central Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: Lexus IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Leasing is often a means to get into a vehicle which you cannot afford to buy.
I understand the concept of leasing - I was just trying to determine why so many people on here are talking about leasing (as opposed to buying - especially with the low interest rates out today). I have always thought of leasing as renting: at the end of the rent period you have nothing to show for what you spent. Of course, I understand when you're young it may become the sole option for getting into a BMW (or other expensive car).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
todd92 todd92 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 609
Mein Auto: 13 X3 3.5, 05 ZHP
Leasing made sense a while ago when the residuals were ridiculously high. Buying new never makes sense, you take the huge depreciation hit in the early years regardless of how long you hold on to it. All 3 BMW's I currently own were bought very low mile CPO at huge discounts vs new. I own several other cars I bought new, but buying them used wasn't an option.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:29 PM
sunny5280 sunny5280 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver, CO
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,604
Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
I understand the concept of leasing - I was just trying to determine why so many people on here are talking about leasing (as opposed to buying - especially with the low interest rates out today). I have always thought of leasing as renting: at the end of the rent period you have nothing to show for what you spent. Of course, I understand when you're young it may become the sole option for getting into a BMW (or other expensive car).
Given some of the discussions I've read it's partly for the reason I stated.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:38 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,830
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Perhaps a lot of folks lease because they like the payment.

That said, for long-term buyers, it also makes sense to lease with an eventual plan to purchase. There are two reasons behind this logic: 1) If the car turns out to be a dud or you wreak it, you can unload it at the end of the lease and 2) if the car is worth less than the residual, you can often negotiate a lower buyout price -- effectively giving you another bite at the apple. The downside to the lease is that the cost of money (the effective APR) is often a little higher.
This is a valid point. Some people look at it as buying an option to purchase depending on future performance and circumstances.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:41 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 14,830
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
Thanks - I have been a USAA member for 25 years (I am a retired State Department Foreign Service Officer).
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
cool, so like CIA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
So, not exactly - but close!
I was an intelligence analyst in the Army for four years.
__________________

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,068
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
I understand the concept of leasing - I was just trying to determine why so many people on here are talking about leasing (as opposed to buying - especially with the low interest rates out today). I have always thought of leasing as renting: at the end of the rent period you have nothing to show for what you spent. Of course, I understand when you're young it may become the sole option for getting into a BMW (or other expensive car).
Leasing is like renting no doubt but many of us prefer it for a few reasons. It's still much less expensive due to the residuals and relatively low money factors. Also, it allows you to get a brand new car every 3 years and avoid BMW's pricey maintenance. The negative and for some this is huge, is the lack of equity.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 PM
palermo22 palermo22 is offline
Registered User
Location: California Central Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: Lexus IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Leasing is like renting no doubt but many of us prefer it for a few reasons. It's still much less expensive due to the residuals and relatively low money factors. Also, it allows you to get a brand new car every 3 years and avoid BMW's pricey maintenance. The negative and for some this is huge, is the lack of equity.
Yes, I would imagine that would be huge: making $500+ payments for four years = $24,000+ and at the end of that period you have no equity.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM
LS2 MN6 LS2 MN6 is offline
Automotive Supplier
Location: Metro Detroit
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 288
Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
Lease
-------
Smaller payment, no money down
New car every 2-3 years
Low miles traveled

Buy
----
Larger payment, with money down
Car is yours, no one can take it
High miles traveled

Those are the most basic reasons for doing one versus the other. Over time it really depends on your life style (and how long you keep a buy and how much money you dump into it) that really makes one choice better than the other.

I personally drive a TON (20-25k a year), so I have to own my cars or be willing to drive the **** out of my Corvette in the summer (to not go over my lease mileage on my "other" car). I did that once, never again.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-24-2012, 06:41 PM
LS2 MN6 LS2 MN6 is offline
Automotive Supplier
Location: Metro Detroit
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 288
Mein Auto: 2008 Corvette & 2006 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
Perhaps a lot of folks lease because they like the payment.

That said, for long-term buyers, it also makes sense to lease with an eventual plan to purchase. There are two reasons behind this logic: 1) If the car turns out to be a dud or you wreak it, you can unload it at the end of the lease and 2) if the car is worth less than the residual, you can often negotiate a lower buyout price -- effectively giving you another bite at the apple. The downside to the lease is that the cost of money (the effective APR) is often a little higher.
Some leasing companies (in my experience GMAC now Ally) won't let you renegotiate the price of a "Buy" at the end of your lease. You either pay what's on the contract or the dealer collects the car and it goes to Auction.

Now once at Auction you can track it down and try to get it back for less than your original "Buy" amount. This was done mostly because leasing was heavily subsidized by some leasing companies thru inflated residuals (that's one of the main reasons GMAC needed so much Gov money and why Chrysler Financial effectively went Bankrupt).
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Michael Schott Michael Schott is online now
Moderator
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,068
Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
Yes, I would imagine that would be huge: making $500+ payments for four years = $24,000+ and at the end of that period you have no equity.
But if you buy you may have $650.00 payments and a car worth 50% of what you pd plus potentially expensive repairs after 3 years. And you've paid out $31,000!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-24-2012, 07:53 PM
palermo22 palermo22 is offline
Registered User
Location: California Central Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: Lexus IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
But if you buy you may have $650.00 payments and a car worth 50% of what you pd plus potentially expensive repairs after 3 years. And you've paid out $31,000!
This may say it better (using a decently equipped 2012 328)

Lease $550 - 48 months - spent: $$26,400

Net spent: $26,400

Purchase - Spent $42,000

Value after four years: $24,000 (based on 50% depreciation)

Repairs and Maintenance (thus far) - all paid by BMW

So after four years I am now sitting with a car that I have spent $24,000 on and I have equity of $24,000. Under leasing - even if your payments only equalled $24,000 - after four years you have nothing!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-24-2012, 08:45 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is offline
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,311
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by palermo22 View Post
This may say it better (using a decently equipped 2012 328)

Lease $550 - 48 months - spent: $$26,400

Net spent: $26,400

Purchase - Spent $42,000

Value after four years: $24,000 (based on 50% depreciation)

Repairs and Maintenance (thus far) - all paid by BMW

So after four years I am now sitting with a car that I have spent $24,000 on and I have equity of $24,000. Under leasing - even if your payments only equalled $24,000 - after four years you have nothing!
Um...nobody leases 3s for 4 years. When I optioned up a 328i and looked at ED, MSDs, etc the final rang up around:

MSRP: 44995
ED with 700 profit: 39875
MF: 0.00176
Residual: 65%
Sales Tax: 7.75
MSDs: $3150 (450 X 7, but I think this would probably be 400 X 7)
Lease fees: 800
Payment: $449.19
Total cash outlay: 16971


Same car purchased ED:
Purchase 39875
Full purchase price w/Tax: 42965
Cash down: 5000
Loan amount: 37965
60 month loan at 1.79% (Navy Federal): 661.96
Total payments over 36 months: 23830.56
Total expenditures including down payment: 28830.36
Realistic value of 3 series after 3 years - 55%: 24747
Total owed on loan: $15594
Difference in your favor: 9153
Total spent over 3 years: $19677

Purchase for the short-term on a BMW isn't usually so good as they support the heck out of their leases.

Longterm - yes, the loan is the way to go.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 PM
3ismagic#'s Avatar
3ismagic# 3ismagic# is online now
HerrDoktorProfessor
Location: land of milk and honey
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,965
Mein Auto: '11 335d
I had originally planned to lease, but ended up buying due to idiosyncratic circumstances that involved me having to make some liquid assets conveniently "disappear". Needless to say I have a whole lot of equity in my 335d.

In the future I see myself moving towards the 2-3 year ED lease with max MSD model.
__________________

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 PM
palermo22 palermo22 is offline
Registered User
Location: California Central Coast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 83
Mein Auto: Lexus IS 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
Um...nobody leases 3s for 4 years. When I optioned up a 328i and looked at ED, MSDs, etc the final rang up around:

MSRP: 44995
ED with 700 profit: 39875
MF: 0.00176
Residual: 65%
Sales Tax: 7.75
MSDs: $3150 (450 X 7, but I think this would probably be 400 X 7)
Lease fees: 800
Payment: $449.19
Total cash outlay: 16971


Same car purchased ED:
Purchase 39875
Full purchase price w/Tax: 42965
Cash down: 5000
Loan amount: 37965
60 month loan at 1.79% (Navy Federal): 661.96
Total payments over 36 months: 23830.56
Total expenditures including down payment: 28830.36
Realistic value of 3 series after 3 years - 55%: 24747
Total owed on loan: $15594
Difference in your favor: 9153
Total spent over 3 years: $19677

Purchase for the short-term on a BMW isn't usually so good as they support the heck out of their leases.

Longterm - yes, the loan is the way to go.
We can both make figures do anything we want - I would pay cash (and it's sitting in a tax free bond fund not earning very much). So very simply (using your example) - let's say I lose a $1,000 on inerest never earned - so the car costs me $43K + 1K = $44K - and you say it's worth 55% after three years (I actually think closer to 60% but we'll use 55%) - so after three years I have a car worth almost $25,000 - and I have spent $19,000. So I have spent $2K more than you but I have an asset worth $25K - and you have nothing!

Last edited by palermo22; 01-24-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 AM
davidc1 davidc1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC metro
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 390
Mein Auto: E84 / E70
How is it that you spent 19k and have asset worth 25k after three years?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,114
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc1 View Post
How is it that you spent 19k and have asset worth 25k after three years?
I think he means he spent a total 44k, then took the depreciation hit (19k) and could recover 25k on a sale, which would fall in line with those figures.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-25-2012, 07:41 AM
davidc1 davidc1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NYC metro
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 390
Mein Auto: E84 / E70
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I think he means he spent a total 44k, then took the depreciation hit (19k) and could recover 25k on a sale, which would fall in line with those figures.
OK. So the guy who leased spent 17K and have 27k of liquid asset in the bank then.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,114
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidc1 View Post
OK. So the guy who leased spent 17K and have 27k of liquid asset in the bank then.
This is also true
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms