Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
My cornering lights work when in Auto mode.

So I guess I come back full circle to the taillight bulbs and/or panels, but have learned something cool about my car in the meanwhile.

I was mulling over whether to order the right panel, or both panels, listed in the SIB given by Verts, but I now pause because I think I'll try contacting BMW about a goodwill chance, since the two are $40 before shipping. The SIB states that the replacement panels have bulbs included, but I'm thinking this might have been only for the SIB itself, and not necessarily for the part numbers in the realoem link, also supplied by Verts (even though these part numbers do match the "secondary" numbers in the SIB). Thanks again, man.

If they did offer the parts for free, which I'm not counting on, I do wonder if I could still have them without BMW doing the labor. I'm just curious about that.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:40 PM
wooohooo

Ok, I made what was probably my first call ever to BMW NA, and thanks to this thread, I was armed with a lot of information! Even though I got bumped up one level, it's a no go as far as I am concerned. I think* they were implying I could get the parts, but I'd have to pay for a BMW dealership to diagnose it for themselves, and I suspect that I would have to pay them for the install too. Shucks!!

So I was looking for realoem contact info, which I failed to find, to ask if the panels come with bulbs included. (There is probably a better resource to ask that I'm not thinking of.) The SIB states that they do, and so does the Bentley manual, but then the parts list/diagram makes me suspicious.

Perhaps the best thing to do is order both panels, and just cross my fingers. If there are no bulbs (and that the warning code remains), just go to local resources as the people in this thread have done.

Yeah, I'll probably order the parts later this evening. Thanks again to all.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
Perhaps the best thing to do is order both panels, and just cross my fingers. If there are no bulbs (and that the warning code remains), just go to local resources as the people in this thread have done.
Good luck, Ilmc. Let us all know how it turns out.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:19 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
Good luck, Ilmc. Let us all know how it turns out.
Thank you, I'm sure I will. I just ordered the two at Tischer, $16.74 each, add $14.95 shipping, for $53.38 total. These are the descriptions on my order (funny how they appear differently as they do):

1 OEM Catalog Socket panel Socket panel Left $16.74

1 Collision Catalog - 2008 - BMW - 335I electrical, rear lamps, tail lamps, socket panel COUPE, CONVERTIBLE, 2007-10, ON QUARTER PANEL, coupe Right $16.74

^ Maybe Bcube was correct about being only the right side? ^ . . . since only the right side has the boldfaced "tail lamps" included in the description. Well, the order is in, so enough of the speculating . . .
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM
wooohooo

The two sockets arrived today. I installed just the right one first, and I think Bcube's far fetched memory > my research. The code disappeared. I went ahead and put the other one in too, why not. For anyone in the future who finds this by search, have no fear, this is the easiest thing ever, much much much easier than you would imagine. I think the entire swap could be done in 10 seconds with a little practice. Yes, THAT easy.

The replacement right (outer) socket is on the left. I think the build date said something around late 2010 on it.

To install, all you do is remove the cover/liner over the battery, and it's all exposed. That plug's tab really can be a bit of a pain to successfully depress enough for removal. The white tab in the middle right of the panel is what secures it all, and all you do is depress to release. The only word of warning is to check that it's snug after installing, by simply pulling. The last time I fiddled with it, I failed to so, and well, with about 100 miles driven, everything was fine (the socket didn't fall down). It was only tonight when pulling out the old one that I realized it, after it just came out with no effort. After reinstalling the left side, I confirmed that this is something to double check because there is no "click"; the only real confirmation I could get for myself is to simply tug on it.

Ok the below has nothing to do with the known issue above, for the outer sockets made before 1/21/08. But, I figure I might as well share a couple pics I took when trying to clean every contact in sight for all taillights.

This is what it looks like when you remove the 10 clips for the trunk lid liner. You'll see 8 immediately, but if you're like me, you may get confused on where the other 2 are. They are recessed a bit, directly to the right and left of the emergency trunk pull. These 2 clips also happen to be more difficult to get out. So these inner socket panels are simply removed by the single nut you see there. That's it. Oh, perhaps the biggest PITA with getting it all back together is fitting/holding the liner snug to the lid, while simultaneously trying to fish that little emergency pull wire back through (not a terrible amount of slack to work with), and then fitting it back to the handle.

Anything I do for the first time on my BMW is pretty much the first time I do anything of this nature on any car. So don't look down too much on me for appreciating the design of these clips. You have it extended, push the tip through, then push the little tube in and it will secure. To remove, it's the opposite, pull the tube out, then the clip can be removed rather easily (except for those two I talked about earlier, at least with me doing it, at least on the first time).

Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 AM
Cobb-Powered N55

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
The two sockets arrived today. I installed just the right one first, and I think Bcube's far fetched memory > my research. The code disappeared.
Glad to hear it worked out for you, Ilmc!