BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

35d Change Steering Ratio

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bimmerx53 
#1 ·
Anyone know if you can code/program the steering ratio in the X5?

That's without the Active Steering and without the Adaptive drive. I compared the sport package steering parts to the non and the parts are the same (for the steering, not suspension). How do they make the sport steering so much better? I was assuming it was the programming (the steering wheels aren't different enough either).

#3 ·
Could you show where you found that information? When looking at RealOEM.com the only different steering parts are the Hydraulic Steering Rack or Active Steering Rack (i.e. looking at a 5.0i).
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=ZV83&mospid=52207&hg=32&fg=10

The Hydraulic part number is the same across all models and has no separate part number for sport.

#4 ·
I guess I was under the impression that the gas M Sport package did not include Active Dynamics nor Active Steering. Those were still separate options. Are you saying there's a 3rd steering rack not in the parts catalog?

#5 ·
The standard is "engine-speed sensitive" which would be hydraulic. The electric systems in some of the newer cars (not X5) are "vehicle-speed sensitive".

So, I'm guessing they both have the same steering ratio (part numbers are the same), but the differences in engine RPM and power steering pump is affecting the level of assist. Which might be easy to fix with a pulley change...

#6 ·
I noticed on the X5 M steering box they add the servotronic control on the rack.

I guess the vehicle sensing could still be servotronic, but that's only in the X5M (which also has a different hydraulic steering rack which is my guess a ratio change). In the others it's non-adjusting. So, again, how are they changing the level of assist?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.