Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
I Drove a 2012 Z4 sdrive 20i

We took an e89 out on a two hour test drive today

Car driven 2012 Z4 sdrive 20i -- UK spec right hand drive.

Options on the dealer demonstrator:

Metallic Paint, Brushed Aluminum Trim, Park Distance Control, Heated Seats, 18" wheels.

e89s have been reviewed many times so I'm not going to give a full report:

The 4 cylinder motor is fine, but it doesn't sound like the inline 6 motors it replaced. On the other hand power delivery is good, even in the 184HP base motor. Flat rated torque make it hard to be in the wrong gear. The motor is a little noisier than I expected but not too bad.

The base radio (6 speakers and no external amplifier) is not very good. The car is noisy even with the top up and the radio is hard to hear at speed.

The right hand drive Z4 we drove had a serious flaw. The clutch pedal is way to far to the right. It is about centered with the steering wheel. Not only is this uncomfortable, but my knee hit the steering wheel. I'm not Clarkson sized either. 5'8" 155lbs.

I mucked about with seat adjustments but never did manage to get comfortable.

About an hour in, we stopped for fuel and I swapped seats with Debbie. The car is so much more comfortable on the passenger side. Debbie noticed it too.

To Debbie's disappointment, I decided I couldn't live with the driving position.

Before we left the store, I decided try sitting a 'plated' (punched) Z4 with the M-Sport package. The sport seats save the car -- I was able to adjust the tilt so that my knee didn't hit the wheel. It is still uncomfortable, but at least I won't get bruised. The short shifter and M steering wheel are both useful upgrades.

I'm undecided about this car. Its a great car but the flaws (steering feel and off center clutch) may be too much for me.

EDIT: I've done some investigating. I don't think the clutch pedal problem is widespread. Maybe a few cars were built with an incorrect part??

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-28-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Looks like most Z4s don't have the clutch pedal problem.
Advertisement
Old 01-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
The right hand drive Z4 has a serious flaw.] The clutch pedal is way to far to the right. It is about centered with the steering wheel. Not only is this uncomfortable, but my knee hit the steering wheel. About an hour in, we stopped for fuel and I swapped seats with Debbie. The car is so much more comfortable on the passenger side. Debbie noticed it too.

Before we left the store, I decided try sitting a 'plated' (punched) Z4 with the M-Sport package. The sport seats save the car -- I was able to adjust the tilt so that my knee didn't hit the wheel. It is still uncomfortable, but at least I won't get bruised. The short shifter and M steering wheel are both useful upgrades.

I'm undecided about this car. Its a great car but the flaws (steering feel and off center clutch) may be too much for me.
Bad news about the clutch position in the RH drive cars, especially since it is hydraulic and could easily have been located properly. If your going to share the car the power seats with memory are undoubtly the best way to go. You can set your own unique positions with the mere push of a button.

Have you considered or driven the Mazda MX5?

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 01-15-2012, 04:05 PM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post

Have you considered or driven the Mazda MX5?

Yes. I drove one for two years. We were considering a 2006 Z4, but ended up with the Miata.

e89 and MX-5 are entirely different cars. The Miata is fun to drive but not comfortable for passengers.

Debbie and I both agree the e89 is a great car to be a passenger in.

No idea why BMW won't do something about the clutch position. I suspect they are re-using the pedal box from a LHD car. Z4 isn't exactly a high volume car here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00561.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	308355  

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-16-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Yes. I drove one for two years. We were considering an e85, but ended up with the Miata.

e89 and MX-5 are entirely different cars. The Miata is fun to drive but not comfortable for passengers.

Debbie and I both agree the e89 is a great car to be a passenger in.

No idea why BMW won't do something about the clutch position. I suspect they are re-using the pedal box from a LHD car. Z4 isn't exactly a high volume car here.
Maybe it was a weird vehicle or the seats were messed up. I was just checking around the UK Z4 site @ http://www.z4-forum.com/ No one with MT seems to be complaining about the position of the clutch pedal on that forum.

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 01-16-2012, 03:09 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Maybe it was a weird vehicle or the seats were messed up. I was just checking around the UK Z4 site @ http://www.z4-forum.com/ No one with MT seems to be complaining about the position of the clutch pedal on that forum.

When I said to the sales person "I like the car except the clutch...", he finished my sentence by saying "pedal is too far to the right."

I sat in 3 Z4s. The demonstrator with normal seats and two plated M-Sport cars. All 3 cars had the off center clutch.

Plated cars are unsold stock registered and moved to the used side.

It was less of an issue with the Sport seats as my knee didn't hit the wheel. I did spend a very long time playing with seat and steering wheel adjustments.

I've read several reviews. The press fleet cars all appear to be automatics. That could explain why there isn't any mention in official reviews.

I had a quick look over on Z4-forum but didn't search. Thanks for the link. I'll have to do more searching. Most of the complaints seem to be for minor issues like water in the tail lamps.

I was surprised that more than a few of the members have the DCT or automatic. Most people in the UK can drive a stick. You have to in order to get a full UK driving license.

Adding automatic would take the lease from £299/month to £360/month and that is more than we want to spend.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-16-2012 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 AM
resU deretsigeR

I looked up some part numbers for a 20i

LHD

Clutch Pedal 35006785893
Supporting bracket, foot controls 35103414589

RHD

Clutch Pedal 35006785894

Same bracket, different pedal.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-16-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I looked up some part numbers for a 20i

LHD

Clutch Pedal 35006785893

RHD

Clutch Pedal 35006785894

Same bracket, different pedal.
LHD clutch pedal has a slight left kink in it. It's only about 7 mm off center. Yes the support bracket and pedal mounting is the same maybe it would be as easy a fix as putting in the LHD pedal. Ok so its a new car and why should you have to fix a BMW goofed up. But looking a the diagram they appear to be exactly the same mounting on a single pin.

There must have been some reason for BMW's madness.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:26 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:

There must have been some reason for BMW's madness.
I can think of three:

Crash test results. The pedal hit the crash dummy's leg during internal testing, so they moved it.

Engineer error. Someone got confused about left vs. right and moved the pedal in the wrong direction. I've made errors like that, but I use a $99 CAD tool and don't have a big design team behind me. I doubt that sort of error would make it through to a production BMW.

Poor communication. People on the various teams were not communicating well and an error made its way into the finished product.

Quote:
maybe it would be as easy a fix as putting in the LHD pedal.
Yes. I'd have to see what the RHD pedal does.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-17-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 sDrive 23i space grey
BS!! I've had my RHD for nearly 3 years now and it's absolutely fine, no problem with pedals or knee hitting steering wheel, you must have driven a wrong un or are too stupid to adjust the seat!!
Old 01-23-2012, 09:46 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux good View Post
BS!! I've had my RHD for nearly 3 years now and it's absolutely fine, no problem with pedals or knee hitting steering wheel, you must have driven a wrong un or are too stupid to adjust the seat!!
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I do wonder about my brain sometimes.

Do you mind looking at where the clutch pedal on your Z lines up? On the car we drove it was centred with the steering wheel.

If you go back and look at my posts, you can see that I did say I was able to adjust the sport seats so that my knee doesn't hit the steering wheel. Everyone has different proportions. I may be in the 1 or 2% that isn't an easy fit. I'd like the car a lot more if the pedal was a couple of cm to the left.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 35is, X5 50i
Lux a picture of the foot area of your car is probably worth a thousand posts
Old 01-25-2012, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 sDrive 23i space grey
Took picture of mine and can't see them being any more central than they are!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pedals.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	309604  
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux good View Post
Took picture of mine and can't see them being any more central than they are!!
The one I drove wasn't like that!

We've ordered an sDrive20i. Hopefully our pedals will look like yours. I'll be much happier with the car if it does.

I'll come back to this thread when the car arrives.

EDIT:

I looked up the part numbers:

12/2008 23i RHD --
Supporting bracket, foot controls LSC 1 35112229128 See SI 410203(010)
Brake pedal 35006785890
Clutch Pedal 35006785895

12/2011 20i RHD

Brake pedal 35006785890
Clutch Pedal 35006785894

Same brake pedal, different bracket and different clutch pedal. I may be ordering some parts. We'll see.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-25-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 AM
resU deretsigeR

I just looked at a new 2012 production Z4. Clutch pedal was fine. Maybe a few cars got an incorrect part??
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 01-28-2012 at 11:08 AM.