Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-24-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D E92
Automatic Transmission v Sports Transmission

On order for mid February delivery:

320D Melbourne Red - Sports Line

4AD - Black, High-gloss finisher
205 - Automatic transmission
688 - Loudspeaker system harman/kardon
654 - DAB tuner
4AE - Armrest front, sliding

This is a company car so I had a budget.

This will be my first car with automatic transmission so very much looking forward to an improved, relaxed driving experience on our congested roads.

I didn't order the sports transmission ... but can presume I can manually shift the gears using the gear lever with little or no loss in performance compared to the sports transmission ?

Last edited by highwaytg; 01-24-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 335
I posted this same question on another board. The sport auto is geared differently so you get faster shift times and a sportier drive. the shifter is also a little different being shorter. the standard auto still comes w/ steptronic so yes you can still change gears on the shifter. I think you just lose the paddle shifters and the sportier shift times.

I went with the sports auto because of the sportier shift times. I don't think I'll actually use the paddle shifters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F30_S8ATb.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	309767   Click image for larger version

Name:	F30_8ATb.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	309768  
Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Shift times and gearing are two different things. I haven't seen anything suggesting that the sport auto has different gearing than the steptronic. If that were the case, I would think the different gear ratios would be called out in the specifications. The differences (other than the shifter and the paddles) are, I believe, limited to software.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Shift times and gearing are two different things. I haven't seen anything suggesting that the sport auto has different gearing than the steptronic. If that were the case, I would think the different gear ratios would be called out in the specifications. The differences (other than the shifter and the paddles) are, I believe, limited to software.
I ordered 2TB -- the sport AT -- and have been wondering ever since it if was just software or actually a variant of the ZF 8-speed.

I guess the only way to know would be to see if the transmissions were interchangeable other than their electronic control modules.

I think manufacturers are discovering that software can be profitable. US$500 is a lot for different firmware in the ECM. My Volvo XC60 T6 has a $1500 (!) software upgrade available from Volvo to bump engine output by 25hp.

It's a new, digital pricing frontier. :-)
Old 01-27-2012, 07:15 PM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
The sport auto is geared differently so you get faster shift times and a sportier drive
Prove this.

The only difference is probably the paddles.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
Prove this.

The only difference is probably the paddles.
Spoke to my BMW dealer today who has driven these cars and his comments were:

Sports auto makes no difference in acceleration to standard auto.

After a couple of days of playing you will not use the paddles. (Nice on a Lambo or Ferrari)