Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 01-28-2012, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Need help with Modules

Hello everyone!
I bought a water damaged 07 550. I need a little help getting it up and running. Firstly, please hold the comments about 'it will never be the same' and bad idea. Thanks but I know that already, I know what I am getting into. I just need comments on how to get it up and running. Sorry no offense intended. So about the car.
It runs and drive get into gear no problem, interior is clean but stinks of the water odor, I haven't really driven it around just on and off a tow truck. I do not know the height of the water, I do not know if it was salt or fresh water but the car was from PA so probably fresh. As expected it is lit up like a christmas tree

Here's what works.
Fog lights brake lights, indicators, sun roof, climate control lights only. Cd and dvd is lighted and makes sounds when i press eject.
Starts up 1 touch, the shifter gear lights are not lit. The trunk works from the remote.

What doesn't work as far as I know
The seats do not work, the windows works except passenger rear, the doors do not lock from either remote or even pressing down, the CIC/INIA screen is dead, radio is dead, the wipers are dead and headlights are dead, not sure if heat or AC works but the panel is lit but nothing blows when I turn it on.

I need some help locating and changing modules. I already know about the micro power module in the trunk which could be the cause of the radio and screen being dead.
I need the headlights working and wipers in order to pass ispection so those are priority as far as I know but I also want to be sure the cooling system is operational so I know it can be driven the inspection site is about 20 minutes away.
Please help me by telling me where to find suspected modules, what module controls what and so forth. I already try ordering the micro power module but the dealer keeps saying there is none on my car, but I am sure it is there, do you know if the micro power modules are interchangeble among E60s because the ones I see on ebay says not compatable with my car. Sorry for bambarding you guys but I reallly need your help. The independents in my area won't look at my car because of the water. It is at a dealer now for diagnostics but I do not intend to have them fix it. Thanks again for any help.
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 AM
U of Dawgs

Mein Auto: 08 535iA Spt/11 X5 35i
You sure got spunk... love that!

Start with this manual: http://www.amazon.com/BMW-E60-E61-Se...7779815&sr=1-1

Compliment it with this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Service-...item4ab363fea5

Then start tearing that fine machine down for restoration and corrosion control... electronic stabilant, amlguard, etc.

Good luck!

-----------------------------------
Nube1Kenobi
2011 X5 35i Sport Activity|Plat Gray/Beige/Dk Poplar|Conv Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Tech Pkg|Prem Sound|Comfort Seats|Hitch|
2008 535i Mon Blue/Dakota Blk/Dk Poplar|Sports Pkg|Prem Pkg|Cold WX Pkg|Nav|RTTI|PDC|L7|HD|I-Pod/USB|PWR Rr shade|Sports Auto - paddles|Active Stg|Comfort Access|F/D R/seats|Rr DMS Airbags|Adaptive Xenons

Do not argue with an idiot else he lowers you to his level and beat you down with experience..
Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Good start indeed, Thank you
Old 01-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2005-525i
Check your fuses first

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: a car
Pull the seats and the carpet. There is a main wiring harness/junction block that runs under the carpet. In every BMW I've worked in, its under the passenger seat. If it get wet and is not dried immediately, it will corrode and cause all kinds if problems. +1 on checking fuses as they can start popping from electrical shorts. If your car has a micro power module, it would be in the trunk. Pull left the left side trunk interior access cover and look for a small white box. If its not there, look under the spare tire

Sent from my Ally using Bimmer App
Old 01-29-2012, 08:10 AM

I will do that when I get the car back. I found out that after 09/05 the MPM was integrated into the Body Gateway module. The body Gateway Module is located behind the glove box so now I am hoping that is not the problem because that would mean the water was fairly high.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 530i
I'm sure you know this already but under the spare tire (or where it would be if you have run Flats) in the trunk... could be a helpfull thread... keep posting back with your findings.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: a car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee_115 View Post
I will do that when I get the car back. I found out that after 09/05 the MPM was integrated into the Body Gateway module. The body Gateway Module is located behind the glove box so now I am hoping that is not the problem because that would mean the water was fairly high.
That's worrisome. Especially if it still smells of water, it probably wasn't dried out properly. When you get it back, pull up the rear seat bottom and see if there's any water stains. It just pops off. Also try looking in electrical connectors for corrosion. If you're in this thing for the long haul, consider purchasing the inpa, dis, ncs program to help you diagnose without having to go to the dealer. The dis program is exactly like the one used in the dealer and you can run it on a laptop ......

Sent from my Ally using Bimmer App