Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 bmw 328is
Need car inspection/possible work done (Lake Berryessa/Napa, CA)

So it's looking like I bought a lemon...

Just moved to California and purchased a 97 328is BMW.

After taking the car up to higher speeds it was made very apparently something was wrong on the front in. Initially thinking it might be bushings, I went ahead to get it checked out... Les Schwab's mechanics were seriously concerned with me even driving the car out of the lot. They said that there was "excessive movement on the LF lower ball joint as well as RF. On top of that the control arm bushing is torn." I could physically shake the RF tire sideways (perpendicular to the axle rotation.)

While waiting for these parts to come in (apparently now not until next Tuesday *le sigh*) the car decides that starting is overrated. It made two clicking noises when turning the ignition, although the radio lights and cluster lights came on. I tried jumping the car to no avail then after charging it for awhile, the car finally started. The odd thing is the battery tested in the green on the battery charger, even when first connecting it.

Since I just moved here I have no tools and have never worked on a BMW before. I am hoping somebody local could either come here or meet up (if the car decides to start again) and inspect my car as well as do/assist in repairs and bring tools. I could definitely negotiate some sort of payment

You can reach me at ryansbacon@gmail.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Welcome to the Fest and the best state!

Sounds more like a starter problem than a battery problem.

While you're in a very pretty area, I don't think we have many members up there.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
hmmm could be a starter like the old fart has mentioned... or could just be a dead batt.

and did you just order the bushings for the control arm or did you buy the whole control arm assembly? one is pretty simple, the other not so much (bushings)..

are you in berryessa or napa? i go to school out in napa, but berryessa is a long ways from where i am (vallejo). if you were closer i wouldn't mind lending you some basic tools to get the job done.. id offer help but school just started a few weeks ago and barely have enough time to work on my own piece of crap

btw if those are your only problems with the car, its certainly not a lemon.. just needs some maintenance taken care of. its nothing to get rid of the car for..

oh and welcome to the fest

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey

Last edited by cmybimmer; 01-27-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
Welcome to the Fest and the best state!

Sounds more like a starter problem than a battery problem.

While you're in a very pretty area, I don't think we have many members up there.

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp
Yeah I was worried about a starter but it finally started up and hasn't had any issues with that since then...Now I have run into a bigger problem. The guy I purchased the car from bought a control arm assembly and bushings to ship here and now shops are refusing to work on the car unless we buy their parts.

Happen to know any good mechanics in the Napa area?
Old 01-30-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmy_bimmer View Post
hmmm could be a starter like the old fart has mentioned... or could just be a dead batt.

and did you just order the bushings for the control arm or did you buy the whole control arm assembly? one is pretty simple, the other not so much (bushings)..

are you in berryessa or napa? i go to school out in napa, but berryessa is a long ways from where i am (vallejo). if you were closer i wouldn't mind lending you some basic tools to get the job done.. id offer help but school just started a few weeks ago and barely have enough time to work on my own piece of crap

btw if those are your only problems with the car, its certainly not a lemon.. just needs some maintenance taken care of. its nothing to get rid of the car for..

oh and welcome to the fest
I believe the entire control arm assembly although one of the bushings on the other side may need to be swapped. I'm 20-30 minutes from Napa up in berryessa. Do you happen to know any good affordable mechanics down there? I have to drive to Napa one way or another to get the car repaired.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:56 AM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
i dont really know of many shops in napa.. but i know of a few shops out in vallejo that do good work and are fairly affordable. idk if you want to get the car towed out here from napa or something. wish i had the time to help you out because i have done this job before, but i can't find time at all

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey

Last edited by cmybimmer; 01-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Yeah unfortunately I just don't have the tools or I'd probably just follow a DIY. A sturdy jack or a lift would be nice heheh. Good luck with your studies bud and thanks again for the help.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Somebody stop me....

Mein Auto: EW/// 86
With owning a BMW, this would be a good time to invest in some tools. Just a nice set to cover some maintenance. With the labor fees you'll pay for the front end rebuild you couldt have all the tools you'd need to do the job yourself.

Then you're set for the next problem that comes up. Good luck
You can’t spend all your time worrying about where your next Twinkie is going to come from, so follow rule #32 and Enjoy The Little Things.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Drive down to the South Bay and take it to MotorSpeed West. /thread

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 01-31-2012, 12:19 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote: