Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

7 Series - E23 / E32 (1977 - 1994)

Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 735i
92 735i - 4hp22

Ok so I haven't had replies on my other topics. I just have one thing to ask of you all.
(just to catch you up)
I bout an 92 e32 in November.
The transmission was replaced with one from pick n pull.
Well this transmission causes the engine to high rev (5k rpms) before it shifts into second gear where it is smooth from there on except it takes a little Long for third to kick in but not as bad as shifting into second. I have changed the fluid, checked all connections, replaced the speed sensor, new battery and still the same problem. The PO lied and said the transmission "veins" we're clogged, which I'm guessing are coolant lines, nothing else.
I do have the original transmission (verified the vin) but the PO said it didn't catch reverse. And like everything else made up something about it being a reverse pump, (which don't exist!) So I am going to disassemble my original transmission's valve body (and possibly all the gears and check them) and see if the reverse drum is broken, If not I'm going to drop the other tranny and put the reverse solenoid in the original and slap it in and see how it goes.

This is my last resort before I get it rebuilt from my dads friend who will do it for like $200 but only because we are going to have him take both my trannys and make one good one.

I have researched and saved a few forms on how to disassemble it but my question to you is is there anything else I should replace/ fix or look for and if you have any tips for me?
Ive new at wrenching but pretty good at it because I'm a quick learner. My dads a mechanic but he doesn't do transmissions. Please I'm desperate to fix my poor bimmer
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2012, 02:59 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
starting out wrenching on a trans is a huge step. even with the books and instructions, there are a lot of specialty tools necessary (as a rule) when it comes to trans overhauls.

that being said, check out a guy named shogun, on the e32 forum. he's got lots of help in this regard.

worst case scenario, just drop in a 5 speed. they were available in the us, and any m30 mated manual will work. driveshafts, not so sure about. is yours an 'l'??

df
Old 01-23-2012, 05:18 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 735i
Yes mine is an "I"
And I've checked out his forum, just about every forum I could find. Lol
But I have all the tools you can think of and the torque info. Also I don't know how to drive a stick and this is my first car so I just want to get it running the simplistic way possible.
The tranny doesn't scare me I'm pretty confident I can repair it and do it right.
Are there and new bolts/screws, washers, etc I have to buy without getting the repair kit?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
there's a lot of specialty measurement tools needed, dial indicators, and such. i would wish you the best, but i would suggest getting more info on rebuilding a trans.

there are lots of links and such online. i wish you the best.

oh, and driving a manual trans is not that difficult.

df
Old 02-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 735i
A couple tips
Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 735i
First a lot of zip lock bags. Second make sure to get all of your free play, and end play specs. Third, while you have it apart, if u have a ohm meter I would suggest checking the solenoids and make sure they are to spec.