BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2012 BMW Premium DVDs map North America

16K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  lanbrown 
#1 ·
Hi

Can anyone share the DVDs with map update for 2012? I have already the activation code, just need the DVDs.
Or is there an online site where I can buy them. I know they are pretty cheap, around $20 or such.

Thx

#4 · (Edited)
BMW is no longer selling the CIC map update DVDs separately. They have to be purchased with the activation code for $229

This statement is incorrect. It was based on a dealer accessory bulletin. Hahaha. Don't believe what you read.

The CIC map disks are still available for purchase without FSC codes for 10bucks.

#5 ·
BMW is no longer selling the CIC map update DVDs separately. They have to be purchased with the activation code for $229
1. Are you sure? They were selling the DVD with the data for $9, then the FSC activation code separately- but MOST dealers dint realize this. Yes, CIC... not CCC maps

2. $229??!?! WHERE?? Crazy cheap price compared to numbers I am hearing

A

#8 ·
No doubt. Dealers generally did not know about the method I posted (buying the maps for $9 and the FSC code for $300+).... they are 'taught' it is a 'drive in only' upgrade.

I've not priced/researched it since last year.

In response to the comment above about 'new vendor' and 'changes afoot', a dealership is the LAST place to get that info. The are largely clueless, poorly informed, and make stuff up when they don't know. IMO

#9 ·
How can you tell if your map is 2012 or 2011?

#14 ·
1. Just picked up my 6 DVD set of maps at my local BMW Dealer. $10 total.

2. The part number was 01990037287

3. Last year this part number was 3 DVDs and included the 3 2011 maps. This year you get 6 DVDs, and in now includes the 2011 and 2012 maps. Seems weird, why wouldn't bmw have a new number??? Or not include the old 2011 maps??? Very strange ops decision... although maybe there would be a need to reinstall SW on a car that came in with 2011 data and therefore needs to leave with 2011 data? Still...

4. You need a unique FSC code to install the map data. Each disc set has an "FSC SWID" number. You enter this number, and the car's VIN, and the BMW server creates a unique 20 digit FSC that will load THAT swid onto THAT vin.

I haven't bothered with getting the FSC yet, as I actually dont know what is installed on the car. Probably 2011 data. I'm planning on getting the FSC from one of our buddies in the EU.

Finally, the dealer parts guy was absolutely positive I was wrong- and was shocked when the order came in and it was as described.

A

PS I am annoyed with BMW sending out the emails saying "$199"... I actually pressed them on this with the 2010 and demanded that honor the offer for the CIC. They said they would, but then I lemoned it.

#19 ·
I think it is the same guys i've been talking to... different storefront. My suspicion is that all FSCs are generated by BMW servers...but they have different pricing structures in different countries.

However, if some software group in eastern europe has hacked the code and can generate them that would make me feel MUCH better.:thumbup: Interestingly, buying a hacked code and using it is perfectly legal! Unlike ripping a copy of a copyrighted DVD, there is no legal restriction with the FSC.

A

#21 ·
Ard, they have an algorithm to generate the code based on the year. Each year map will have a different code for the same VIN. I'm pretty sure I can get this working if I have all files from CIC system since I'm a software developer.
I am prrtty sure they convolve the VIN with the FSC ID code...and use a kernel/key as well.

The problem is even if you had 100 VINS, 100 FSC codes, an 100 Maps/years (or even multiple years and multiple codes) there is not enough information to deconvolve the key/kernel. Unless BMW was stupid enough to make it really, really simple. Could be, but I doubt it. My 2 cents.

Happy to help if it can be done, there is nothing illegal about it either.

#24 ·
Look at this for FSC code generator..

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/bmw/13757-fsc-code-generator.html#post119867

I tried the tool but I was getting some dll error.. I hope they would give the code for free soon.

I am prrtty sure they convolve the VIN with the FSC ID code...and use a kernel/key as well.

The problem is even if you had 100 VINS, 100 FSC codes, an 100 Maps/years (or even multiple years and multiple codes) there is not enough information to deconvolve the key/kernel. Unless BMW was stupid enough to make it really, really simple. Could be, but I doubt it. My 2 cents.

Happy to help if it can be done, there is nothing illegal about it either.

#17 ·
What is the best place to buy an FSC code? All I care about is price, reliability and willingness to take Amex/Visa/PayPal. Doesn't need to be authorized dealer.

#29 ·
I have been busting my balls to find the algorithm (being a programmer myself)

Genrerating the code does not require access to bmw servers nor in an actual car.

Access to either of these is required to get your hands on navi enabler fsc (every car with a navi has one) which contains the necessary info for the encryption key production.

When navi activation code is "decoded" it contains a few specific bytes (fsc code etc) and an 8-byte cryptogram produced by a key that is constructed from info contained in navi enabling fsc.

I have tried many approaches to generate this key from this info with no success so far.

#30 ·
After getting 3 different answers from 3 different BMW dealers in South Florida, I decided to do some research on my own. Several posst, regarding Nav updates on this thread are right and some are wrong. After several days of research, I found out the best and most cost effective MAP UPDATE. ORIN is correct. www.mapupdatesupport.com/2012/ or, alternatively, call 1-866-543-6848 (in the US.) I called and was told for my BMW 2011 X5, the UPDATE is via USB port in glove box, 2015 Version 1 A is all you need. Order it from map support and give them $150 and your all set. No dealers, no DVD's and no more guessing! I wanted to clear this up because several of the threads were not correct and the dealers really aren't sure as they all had to ask around and call back with incorrect info. I'm ordering my update and I'll get back about the install. Suppose to be very easy and follow the screen.

#31 ·
There are places you can spend far less than $150 and get the same thing. All it is, an electronic key and the seller gives you a link to download the map updates. You put it on the USB flash drive and update the maps. You can get all of this for under $150; I paid around half of that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.